Fragrance sensitive & detergent adverse - Clean linen problems?

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Fragrance sensitive & detergent adverse - Clean linen problems?

I've gotten two comments in private feedback about detergent/softener smell in my bedding* so wanted to check in with the collective host knowledge on this...

I use Arm & hammer detergent and either unscented softener or white vinegar (great for towels!) in the softener dispenser. Infrequently I'll use bleach. The sheets smell clean, not scented to me. Am I behind the times in still using fabric softener and regular detergent, or are people just being really fussy?

Any insight on whether this is about harsh detergents, or scent? Some of the "eco" brands seem fragrance heavy, too.

I have a note in my rules to let me know in advance about any allergies or fragrance sensitivities, but neither of these people gave any warning. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

*I had a wonderful rest full sleep. One tiny thing I noticed was your bed linin had a bit of fabric softener sent to them. I did not mind but someone who is overly sensitive to this might not have liked it. 

**Everything was great, Allison, thank you. I would say that the only suggestion I can make is that we get migraines from chemical smells like fabric softeners and laundry soaps -- so while the smell said fresh, clean bedding, it also can mean a miserable headache for some folks.

131 Replies 131
Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Allison2, I have always been told not to use softener on towels - it reduces their absorbency over time and makes them less fluffy.  White vinegar works well to keep them fluffy... 

SO true about the fabric softener. My mom always told me never use it, it waterproofs everything and it isn’t good for sensitive skin anyway. All of US kids (6) were very blonde and super fair. Funny story, I was visiting my mother-in-law’s home and needed to wash some diapers for my daughter. She had to use cloth because her skin reacted badly to disposables. My mother-in-law offered to wash them for me and used fabric softener in the final rinse, unbeknownst to me.  I later put a fresh diaper on my daughter, an active toddler, And she ran away for me before I could get plastic pants on her. As I catch up to her, I see a stream of pee coming straight through her diaper, something that has never happened before! I couldn’t really understand what was happening, but when I talked to my mother later, She asked had anybody used fabric softener when washing the diapers. So I asked my mother-in-law, and she said she had, “So the diapers would be softer and more comfortable for the baby.” <SIGH> I don’t think she ever believed me that it was because of the fabric softener that my daughter peed straight through her diaper. 🐵 It never happened again after I re-washed the diapers. LOL 

Sherrie13
Level 2
Ozark, AL

There are 3,100+ registered chemicals that are choices to be used in formulating a fragrance.

When you see the word fragrance on a label for detergent, soap, perfume, candles, air fresheners, dryer sheets or any product it can often have upwards of 100 of those chemicals in it.  Fragrance is known as a “cluster ingredient” which means that one word name can contain hundreds of chemical components.

These 3,100 chemicals are ultra toxic to the human body. Lots of them are known carcinogens, endocrine disruptors (thyroid or hormone issues anyone?), reproductive toxicants, and toxic disinfectants. They have been linked to cancer, birth defects, central nervous system disorders, neurological disorders as well as allergies and eczema. Fragrance is in the top 5 allergens when it comes to ingredients.

According to Therese Kerr fragrance has caused men's tadpole quality to drop 40%, genital malformations in babies, 400% increase in miscarriage, PCOS, thyroid problems, infertility, endometriosis, ovarian cancer, early puberty and early menopause. Of course fragrance isn’t the sole contributor to all cases as there are many other known causes but fragrance is a big part of the root cause of these problems. She also says that fragrance can mimic hormones (estrogens) and cause our natural, God given hormones to short circuit. Our bodies store toxins in our fat. Fragrance is a toxin and is stored in our fat. Our brain is at least 60% fat. It makes perfect sense why using fragrance throughout our days can cause neurological and CNS disorders. Fragrance is always absorbed into our bodies at 100% rate.

I’m thrilled that you have shared this. Way to be informed!

Have you heard about the dihydrogen monoxide problem?  It's 100% fatal to humans yet commonly used throughout industrial production in every country in the world.

Ban dihydrogen monoxide and other awful chemicals!!!

Sherrie, thank you for posting this. I think a lot of people do not know that we have over 130.000 chemicals in everyday use, and 1-2% of them have been studied (according to EU chemical agency, located in my country, Finland).

in the 1960´s new chemicals were introduced in the thousands, and with no screening. Only after really serious problems occur, they may be found out to be dangerous (like DDT). But most negative influences are impossible to screen from the "clutter" of thousands of daily exposures.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I have been using unscented products since I opened my Airbnb, and I have never used softener in my life. I have never heard of using white vinegar with towels, but I'm going to give that a try. Thanks @Allison2!

I find that towels and sheets in hotels don't really seem to have a scent, so a lot of chains must be moving to unscented also.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I use regular laundry soap , no fabric softener, and I don't have a dryer- everything gets hung out on the line in the fresh air and sunshine, which makes them just smell clean- any scent from the detergent disappears. I live where I can do this- I realize it's not practical in places where it's cold and/or rainy.

I wish I could hang everything out on the line. It’s more ecologically sound, Everything smells so good, and sunshine is a good disinfectant as well. Unfortunately as far as that goes, I live in overcast foggy country. The heart of the redwoods. I’m not complaining, I love the redwoods and they need fog to survive. But sometimes,  just sometimes, I miss having a clothesline outside. 

Nic30
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

As someone sensitive to fragrances, I really appreciate when owners ensure their places are scent-free and I can feel safe breathing in their home. It's such a rare occurrence for me to feel safe anywhere these days, and having to wear a mask all the time is really hard on your comfort, not to mention your self-esteem. 

You can always write on your ad 'We use scent-free cleaning products so that all our customers can feel safe in our home. We know that some people prefer scented products, but we prefer to err on the side of caution so that we can offer our home to everyone and not risk forgetting to remove something and accidentally risking their health'.

Nic30
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia
Naomi114
Level 1
Corvallis, OR

As a sensitive person, there are NO safe softeners for me. My skin will react every single time. They are also completely unnecessary. I haven't used them in 20 years on my own bedding and clothes. Sick with a natural, scent free detergent. There are many on the market now that appear to be scent free, but if you read the labels, still contain scent, just at a lower level. This will still cause a reaction on sensitive skin. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am a fan of perfume, flowers, all things which smell nice. No intolerance to anyhting. But I have never in my life (and I am not young) used fabric softener. Do tell, what is the purpose? Why do you want fabric soft, isn't crispness what you want?

Could you use less than recommended dose of detergent to reduce their smell? Just wondering.

Smart move, the person who brings their own linen to keep allergies in control.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I had a guest request I use NO scented products in the entire space.  But she didn't tell me this until the day before she was coming.  I told her we just use regular Tide and bounce sheets and she went on to explain in detail how toxic it was and she said she would bring her own sheets and towels and wanted all linens completely removed from the space.  It was fine with me as it's just one less load of laundry I had to do.  I also went to the store and bought a "green" fragrence free bathroom cleaner and sent her a picture of the bottle so she knew what i was using to clean the bathroom.  She was very happy with that.  I was worried about getting a low rating as she seemed like maybe she was ulta picky, but my extra efforts got us a 5* rating from her.  

The thing about having chemical sensitivities is that everyone has a different level of sensitivity. Trying to cover a bed with my own Linens that had previously been covered with Linens washed inTide wouldn't work because the tide smell soaks into everything; the mattress, carpets, draperies etc...

I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you with the sensitive guest. Knowing that you used Tide, she could make an informed decision whether or not she could tolerate your mattress. This is why sensitive guests asked questions regarding detergent, fabric softener, cleaners, air fresheners, carpet fresh, febreeze etc....as they know what they can tolerate or not. Good communication is the key for success for both parties involved. We don't wish to be difficult but assessing a potential host requires these sort of questions unless the host has clearly communicated such in their listing.