Fraud on Airbnb - Account take over by a third party changing payout methods

Springs0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Fraud on Airbnb - Account take over by a third party changing payout methods

Hackers have been hacking into various Airbnb host accounts and added their own payout methods without the host being alerted. Not only is it super scary to know that a third party can just take over a host account and enrich themselves by adding their own account. But it is even worse knowing that the host is not receiving a notification that this change was done. Clearly, some sophisticated hacker is at work here who can block this notification that would alert a host the minute the payout method is changed. Given this situation is taking place with various hosts account and it is not just a one-time occurrence, it is up to Airbnb to secure their systems and repay the hosts that were damaged. It's not OK to leave hosts hanging having lost thousands of dollars that they will never get back. Airbnd needs to step in and pay the hosts the amounts lost and they need to secure their systems. I feel that hosts who were subject to this fraud should combine forces and make Airbnb responsible.

In my case, someone names "Magnus Boisen" added himself to my account and got paid three months of rental income. I had no idea this was happening because I was not notified a change had been made. Then I get a message saying the payout method is not working and I should add a new one. At his point, I go online and see that this Magnus had added his account and apparently the account wasn't working anymore. I called Airbnb and they said, "We don't know how this can happen and will look into it". Clearly, that's not true because many other hosts experienced the same issues. Airbnb's response should be, that they pay me what I have lost and make sure that my account (and others) are secure. Obviously, I changed my password, but that's nothing in the hacker's world. I'd like Airbnb to take responsibility for this and not leave its hosts hanging. If you have the same issue you can email me at my gmail address **. Let's stick our heads together. One host alone can't do much against Airbnb. But if many hosts come together it may be a different story. 

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

18 Replies 18
David4048
Level 2
Cambridge, MD

just happened to me mandofergi@yahoo.com lets hang the bast**** out to  dry

David4048
Level 2
Cambridge, MD

Last week we hosted our first, abnb guests, wonderful family who had a small family reunion on our 27 acre waterfront estate on the Chesapeake bay over the memorial weekend. We have hosted many families over the last 7 years withe vrbo,, homeaway, tripadvisor etc. without a hitch. Tuesday comes around and we get a notification that our payment was being processed and it showed the 3400.00 in euros. Curious as to why it was being submitted in Euros i called customer service. I was informed it was being sent to my international account, I replied "Oh, hmmm, What international account?". Airbnb replied "The default payment method you changed on the 22nd of May."

Apparently someone hacked their server and accessed my profile and changed the default payment method. They never notified me of the change of payment nor ask for validation, the name on the account to pay  was Neamthu gheorghe daniel.... no red flags here huh. As soon as this snowball started heading down hill it transformed into an avalanche. On the 28th I received the validation request, surprise surprise, the payment had already been processed.

I have filed reports with the FBI cyber crimes unit, BBB, and the CPA. Still unable to shake the ground of Airbnb. I turned to the community blogs on airbnb and I found a plethora plagued hosts with similar stories and guests who had their credit cards compromised. How this has avoided 60 minutes investigative arm i wont begin to guess.

The stories are endless and deserving of a little heat like only you boys and girls can deliver( with the utmost respect)

Sincerely,

David Ferguson
Abused and unpaid host

Docs, timeline, and supporting evidence available on request
just sent this to 60 minutes feel free to jump on the band wagon

Hi David.  I hope we haven't been hacked.  Our last guest has left and we still have not received the payout notification.  For three years we've been getting them the day after a guest checks in.  Airbnb support doesn't seem to comprehend that this is not the norm and tells us to wait.  Do you have any updates?  Sorry for your trouble.

Sue and Paul

Did you ever get your money from those guests? 

David- I’m more than happy to jump on the wagon with you, against Airbnb, to see if we can make a dent and add more hosts to the team. I’m at **[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]. Let’s hope they don’t delete my email again…

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Springs0 

It's against our guidelines to post your email address on the Community, so we've removed it from your post.  

If you'd like to discuss something privately or exchange information with another member, you can do so via the private message option.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I had a similar thing, I can not get anywhere with Airnbn, i am asking them to verify the FULL bank account and name to at least try to do my own detective work but they will not give me any information. Were you able to get the full bank account information at least of where the funds were depiosited?

This is so frustrating. 

Thank you

Debbie754
Level 1
Truro, Canada

Sue and Paul, I’m going through the same thing right now. I’ve contacted them and was told yesterday that I’d have the payout within 24 hours and still nothing. At first they said it was because it was the weekend and I’ve always received payout notifications on the weekend. Something’s not adding up. 

Angela2828
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Anyone get to bottom of this? I just realized the same has happened to me. 10k of payouts to an a NEW default acct. under the name of Cameron Martin. HELP!!!!! 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Angela2828 I'm really sorry to read you're going through such a trying experience! I have checked on my end and the team has confirmed to me someone is looking into it for you. I hope they will get to the bottom of it shortly with you. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you Emilie!!! I’m so frustrated. Today is the third day with zero help or answers from anyone at AirBNB. Any advice? Is there a legal team at AirBNB? 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Angela2828 As I'm not part of Customer Support, I'm afraid I can't five you any more details. I've however received confirmation your issue was being looked at by the correct department and that someone will follow-up once they know more. 

I hope this helps!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Angela2828
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

I understand, but how do you know this? I’m so beyond frustrated right now! 

Glen747
Level 2
Buena Vista, CO

This just happened to us in 2022. Since March, several different accounts have been added as the default account, without alerting us. At the end of April, we noticed and called Airbnb. We were assured the issue was resolved. It is still happening in June. Airbnb tells us it's our email that's been compromised and to change our email and log out every device under security options. We have changed our password several times. We just changed our email associated with our Airbnb account. Still no resolve on how they will protect us from here on out or if we will ever be refunded the money we lost. We are over $58,000 in losses now. May need to take this to an attorney, we reported to the local sheriff's office to make sure there is record. We're not sure if they can do anything to help us, but it would probably benefit everyone to constantly check their Airbnb payouts and report any fraud to the police. We may have to remove ourselves from Airbnb. This is not a safe website. @Springs0 they blocked your email. Our email is **  if anyone wants to email us. If they don't block us as well. 

@Angela2828  

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]