Free Breakfast

Ale5
Level 2
Medellín, Colombia

Free Breakfast

Hello everyone! I've been a host on Airbnb for more than two years and I have the Superhost satatus, but I noticed that my bookings have decreased in the last months. I explored the Airbnb listings offer in my city, and I realized that it has increased as much as 10x (it's my estimation, of course); so I think that I could offer additional things to engage my potencial guests, being "Free Breakfast" one of my main ideas. The problem with that idea is that on some weekends I'm out of the city, and I usually take vacations two times per year, so I won't be able to compromise to cook a nice breakfast for my guests everyday.

I was thinking about buying some arepas (Colombian typical food for breakfast), eggs, butter, milk, coffee, and fruit (I don't want to increase my listing's price, so that's why I'll try to keep the breakfast simple but good), leave all the stuff in the fridge/shelf with a little note with basic instructions on how to get the breakfast ready (this may sound too obviuos, but I've learned that what is obvious for me, must not be obvious to others).

I know that this is not going to be a good idea if I don't warn in my listing that the breakfast is "self service", so I will make sure to clarify that in the listing description and in the messages I exchange with my guests; but I would like to put "FREE BREAKFAST" in the title of my listing. Do you think that it's a good idea? Or is it going to be misleading? 

I'll be happy to receive some feedback regarding this, as I wish to continue having happy guests and a high demand.

Thanks,

Ale.

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would assume that was a served breakfast, if you want supply food then you can certainly do so and mention that in your listing, not sure what difference it will make to bokings.

David
City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Our listing says something like

"Breakfast is included in the price of your stay.  We provide breakfast foods such as eggs, English muffins, yogurt, cereal, coffee and tea.  You cook and clean up after yourself in your own little kitchen."

We also include jams, margarine, pancake mix, syrup, cream, milk, soy milk, almond milk, juices and we have some frozen foods and canned goods such as refried beans.  All of these items are in cans or aseptic(shelf stable) cartons so they don't spoil until opened.  We keep the English muffins, pancake mix, a few entrees (pasta dishes), toaster waffles etc in the freezer so these stay good for a long time.  We don't list all that on the website so that the guests are very surprised and happy when they see it.  The guests don't even use very much of these supplies.  Once stocked up I would think we spend $3 per guest to replenish the breakfast foods if they even prepare it.

Since you will be cooking for them some of the time, you could say something like: 

If I am in residence during your stay I will be preparing breakfast for you.  If I am out of town or unavailable then you will prepare your breakfast and clean up after yourself.  I am unable to notify you of my availability until you check in for your stay.

Karyo0
Level 4
Manchester, United Kingdom

I think offering a breakfast of some sort is a great incentive but cooking it your self , even when you are around is a huge commitment!

Better to offer a self serve and leave essentials out. Bread, cereal, eggs, milk, yoghurt etc