Free photography

David-and-Gael0
Level 2
South Australia, Australia

Free photography

We have been told that we are entitled to a bonus free photography shoot because we have been super hosts four times in a row.  Has anyone been through this exercise and is the photographer service really "free"?  I remember reading somewhere that this is usually paid for after 3 or 4 bookings which made me feel like there may be a hidden payment somewhere. Thanks 

18 Replies 18
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@David-and-Gael0  There are a few issues with the AirBnB photographers. 1) They don't always show up when they say and reschedule often. 2) AirBnB holds the copyright on the photos so you can not use them elsewhere. 3) The quality of the photo's or what they shoot is not always what you want. Use the $100 travel credit instead would be my advice. 

David-and-Gael0
Level 2

Thanks for your comments Letti

Sarah785
Level 3
Salcombe, United Kingdom

@Letti0 wrote:

@David-and-Gael0  There are a few issues with the AirBnB photographers. 1) They don't always show up when they say and reschedule often. 2) AirBnB holds the copyright on the photos so you can not use them elsewhere. 3) The quality of the photo's or what they shoot is not always what you want. Use the $100 travel credit instead would be my advice. 

Maybe just your photographer..

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David-and-Gael0

We probably see the tip of the iceberg here David & Gael and there may very well be lots of hosts who are satisfied with the professional photography that Airbnb arranges, but, the posts we see here suggest it is not worthwhile!

As @Letti0 says you lose control of your listing somewhat and you don't get to own the photos and I can not imagine for a second a professional photographer is going to show up in Vivonne Bay. You know what I mean there don't you? Vivonne Bay, although beautiful is about as 'out of the way' as you can get.

And let's face it, what sort of a photographer do you get for $100 US,  Airbnb are not renowned for giving anything away.

That $100 travel credit is actually $141 AU so you will be much better off with that, in my opinion. 

And the wording of the offer as you saw....'being a Superhost for 4 times in a row'! I have been a Superhost for 10 times in a row but the wording of my offer was just the same as yours....4 times in a row, even the offer seems very generic now, not personal like it has been in the past.

Superhost 10.18.png

Good on you guys, stick at it you are doing a great job!

Cheers......Rob

David-and-Gael0
Level 2

Thanks Rob, we appreciate you input

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@David-and-Gael0 I had a good experience with the Airbnb photographer, and it was indeed free. But if you want the photos to use on other sites, it's not a good fit.

David-and-Gael0
Level 2

Thanks Lisa

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Be careful with this offer. If there isn't a photographer assigned to your area, or they don't have time to photograph your place, the credit does not revert to the credit to stay at an AiRBNB. It simply vanishes. Yes, the offer is made even if it is not a real option for your listing.

Thanks for your tip Susan

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan151

Susan that is a great observation. One of @David-and-Gael0's listings is for Vivonne Bay on Kangaroo Island (A larger island off the coast of South Australia).

Kangaroo Island is a 'must do' destination for anyone on this planet that loves travel. There is something for everyone on Kangaroo island...to walk amongst the seals at Seal Bay, to pat Koala's and chase Kangaroos out of your cabin at Flinders Chase, to spend an hour or two at Remarkable Rocks, or Kelly Caves....you can't do this anywhere else on earth.

You can Back-pack it for a few dollars at American River right up to $3,600 per night at the Hanson Bay resort! Kangaroo Island is unique!

But I guarantee, because of its isolation, there is no way on Gods earth Airbnb will offer a free photo shoot at Vivonne Bay.

Jetty at Vivonne Bay, one of the 10 best beaches in AustraliaJetty at Vivonne Bay, one of the 10 best beaches in Australia

Your point is a good one Susan, once Airbnb say "Oh terribly sorry we don't have a photographer on Kanga....Ah, what island was that!"....the travel credit option is gone.

They giveth with one hand, and they taketh with the other! 

Cheers.......Rob

David-and-Gael0
Level 2

Thanks for the free plug for KI Rob!

In Airbnb's defence they have told us that our cottage at Vivonne Bay is not eligible for the photo shoot.  We have another Airbnb next to our home in North Haven which is the place in question for the photography.

We really appreciate all the comments on our situation.  They will be very helpful in making our decision.

Cheers

David & Gael

Magi2
Level 2
New York, NY

AVOID hiring a photographer through AIRBNB at all costs.   Airbnb seems to have changed their process .. now hand select and edit the photos after the photographer is finished  and you have no control over which photos they select.   In my case, I had missing photos of specfic features of my listing I wanted to highlight and the bedroom photo was taken from an angle that makde the space appear very small.   Terrible customer service on top of that. It's a maze trying to find someone in the photography department to get back to you.   So even tough you pay for this service, you leave it someone else's hands to decide what best represents your listing which is ridiculous. 

My adivse, is hire a professional photographer outside of Airbnb so you are in better control.  Oftentimes they are actually cheaper than what Airbnb charges you.

The ony benefit of going through Airbnb is that they indicate these are "Airbnb verified photos" which could give some guests assurance, however save yourself the hassle at all costs considering how this service has evolved.    

Sarah785
Level 3
Salcombe, United Kingdom

@Magi2 wrote:

AVOID hiring a photographer through AIRBNB at all costs.   Airbnb seems to have changed their process .. now hand select and edit the photos after the photographer is finished  and you have no control over which photos they select.   In my case, I had missing photos of specfic features of my listing I wanted to highlight and the bedroom photo was taken from an angle that makde the space appear very small.   Terrible customer service on top of that. It's a maze trying to find someone in the photography department to get back to you.   So even tough you pay for this service, you leave it someone else's hands to decide what best represents your listing which is ridiculous. 

My adivse, is hire a professional photographer outside of Airbnb so you are in better control.  Oftentimes they are actually cheaper than what Airbnb charges you.

The ony benefit of going through Airbnb is that they indicate these are "Airbnb verified photos" which could give some guests assurance, however save yourself the hassle at all costs considering how this service has evolved.    

This is the case with plus listings butthey DO NOT edit basic airbnb photographs the photographer does that and it is the photographer who uploads them...Airbnb vet them, but providing you have made it clear when you are having your photographs taken the photographer will where posible oblige your wishes.  The photographer has a little control over the Plus listings in that they have to decide which they (and you) think is the hero photograph

Sarah785
Level 3
Salcombe, United Kingdom

ALSO

Please note when booking a photographer to take note of weather and SUNRISE/SUNSET,  if you have a view it is pointless booking a photographer before sunrise...I am in the UK so maybe your sunrise is different but always check