Free stuff

Kelli65
Level 2
Burlington, VT

Free stuff

I just found out about a Facebook page offering free things like coffee makers, mattresses,  pillows,  shampoo etc.

https://m.facebook.com/freeproductsforhosts/

16 Replies 16
Kelli65
Level 2
Burlington, VT

So I saw  this new Facebook page and already are applied for new coffee maker !

From what I understand -They just want the host to put a tiny sign next to the free appliance saying it was complementary from this company and take a picture and upload it  to their Facebook page . 

The company is providing the free products want to encourage guests to then go home and buy the same product after sampling it and experiencing it in our apartments.

I think it’s great and I’m sending lots of ideas for free things that we definitely need from cleaning supplies to Pillows!

https://m.facebook.com/freeproductsforhosts/

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kelli65 Enjoy.  I don't put any signs or notices up at all, so this won't work for me.  Thanks, though!

I never have, but for a mattress or Keurig I might not mind a tiny sign.  Actually my guests last week took pictures of the mattress tag on her buying one because they said it was the best night sleep of their life , Not related to this free stuff idea but guests do frequently ask where we got things and want to buy them

@Kelli65 , I didn't want to have to say it, but it's just tacky.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Try also the Freecycle website which does the same thing: https://my.freecycle.org/home/groups and find a group near you. It's a community-minded website and you can offer things you no longer need to other people too. 

Kelli65
Level 2
Burlington, VT

Great thanks!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

This is weird, @Kelli65 . The administrator of the freeproductsforhosts FB page is a person called Cherise Tolbert. And she has a FB friend called Kelli who looks just like you. 

It is discouraging when sellers show up on this forum taking hosts for easy marks with their "I just found out about this new thing!"

It is doubly so when it is another host. 

Interesting when doubt is swift, and appreciation for a tip is nonexistent with some people. 

@Kelli65  It isn't "free stuff". It's a loss leader for someone trying to drum up business sales. 

I am no seller, don’t make assumptions. I literally just heard about this yesterday, and thought it might help some hosts, maybe not you, maybe you are all set, but others may need a new mattress, new coffee maker, free wine or snacks. It struck me as interesting. 

@Kelli65  I didn't say you were the seller, and you may very well have been just trying to share a tip, I have no way of knowing. However, as I and other hosts have pointed out, advertising products in a listing is pretty tacky and would rub most guests the wrong way. Putting some fliers out for local activities or places of interest is appreciated by guests, a card telling them where they can buy a mattress or coffee maker like yours, isn't. It's up to the guests to ask where to purchase something they see and like.

Your opinion.

Yes, @Kelli65  These are open forums for anyone with an Airbnb account. As such, they are filled with questions,  concrete information, suggestions and opinions.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelli65  If I were a guest I'd find it quite off-putting and crass to have advertising for various products in the listing.

That's completely different from a guest asking a host where they got something that the guest liked.

@Lawrene0  Nice bust. I hate the "Oh good, free advertising site" as well.