UK Host - French regulations for my second home

Answered!

UK Host - French regulations for my second home

can anyone help out with the French regulations, ,my french isnt all that good ,I would like to list my second home but dont understand the formalaties .

1 Best Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Lovely to meet you. It is great to see you here in the Community Center. 

I see quite a few of you have questions around French regulations. I wanted to let you know that we also have a dedicated French speaking Community Center, which you might like to explore and perhaps also try posting your question there, as you might have more chance of getting a response to your question. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

View Best Answer in original post

68 Replies 68

@Pietro-Luigi0,

There is new law and rules since 7th of October for all France AND specific rules for Paris (where it's now quite impossible or cost a lot of money to rent on airbnb legally). You have to get more information in Paris mayor department. Basically it's not possible to rent a second house on airbnb even for less than 120 days. You will have to register and pay a license (and verify all these information as even for my own little town in Britanny I'm not yet sure about the new rules).

Howdy Olivier,

I live in 22 Cote d'Armor and it is my sole residence. I am thinking of renting two rooms from next year here on Airbnb.

Do I understand that that shouldn't pose any problems as long as I only rent for no more than 120 days in the year and that I

would be liable to pay the local tourist tax.

My commune is Ruca.

Many thanks,

Jacqui

Kara26
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

@Anonymous - Thank you for your detailed, helpful replies. I'm just about to list our home in Brittany near Melrand and I'm worried the neighbours in the area might object since they run Gites. Are there laws regarding having AirBnB next to Gites, and should I speak to the Mayor in Melrand abotu the listing I'm making? 

@Kara26,

Most of gites owners are on airbnb too. I helped a friend who have 3 gites creating her listings on airbnb. Gîtes get many taxes reduction compared to Airbnb. Since you are registered in Melrand mayor department as short term rental listing (very easy, takes 5 min with just a paper to fill in little french towns) and pay taxes (touristic taxe if Melrand voted for one and income taxes to be paid only on 50%) everything is OK. 

Hi Oliver!

I just came accross your post:)

We just bought a 30m2 studio in Paris. Can you please let me know what are the curent regulations and formalities in order to put this flat legally on airbnb?

Thank you in adavance!

@Dali-Jimmy0,

It seems Le Havre is not part of the 200 town included in Loi Alur:

http://www.la-loi-alur.org/zone-tendue/

Georgi5
Level 2
Saint-Constant, Canada

Good Morning Olivier,

I'd like to also have your opinion regarding a property in Lyon, that I am currently negotiationg for and planning 

to convert to a chambre d'hote. Since almost all the municipalities around Lyon are in this spec. reg. list of 200,

do you think getting a touristic license for short term rentals might be an issue. After I read the posts on this topic here 

I might say that raised my concerns a little, I'm new in France, moved recently from Canada.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Georgi Y

@Georgi5,

You will find there specific and official information about Lyon, which have an enforced regulation such as Paris:

http://www.economie.grandlyon.com/actualites/locations-courte-duree-meubles-de-tourisme-et-chambres-...

Georgi5
Level 2
Saint-Constant, Canada

Hello Olivier,

Thanks a lot, the info is very substantial, I just went through it.

Looks like there are a lot of declarations to do here.

Take care

A Chambre D'hote has different regulations to a holiday rental. The first thing I would do is see how many people are renting out rooms in their own home on Airbnb in the area where you propose to have your Chambre d'hote. The fact is that people renting out rooms in their homes on airbnb have pretty much destroyed the chambre dhote market where we are. Then you need to register with the Mairie. Then you need to register as a business and pay your taxes.

Thanks

Hello Oliver,

I have s amislar questions to Dali jimmy.

Where can we find information regarding the 200 muncipalities? Is Meschers-sur-Gironde part of the 200 muncipalities? Thanks.

Hi ,

Sorry - just read your earlier messages. Meschers Sur Gironde (next to Royan) does not appear on the list. I presume it would be  under Charante Maritime Area, which also does not appear on the list.

I understand all I need to apply for is the tourist licence to rent out mny holiday gome (second home in France)?

Thanks,

Jack

You need to register it with your Mairie and then you need to pay taxes in France on any income you make.

Andrew661
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Christine

How do I find out if I need to apply for a tourist licence in the town of Cotignac? Is there an online list.

Regards

Andrew