UK Host - French regulations for my second home

Answered!

UK Host - French regulations for my second home

can anyone help out with the French regulations, ,my french isnt all that good ,I would like to list my second home but dont understand the formalaties .

1 Best Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Lovely to meet you. It is great to see you here in the Community Center. 

I see quite a few of you have questions around French regulations. I wanted to let you know that we also have a dedicated French speaking Community Center, which you might like to explore and perhaps also try posting your question there, as you might have more chance of getting a response to your question. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

View Best Answer in original post

68 Replies 68

If it is your second home and you plan to rent it out then you need to register it whereever it is in France.

Jane913
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have put my flat in Saumane de Vaucluse in Provence on Air BNB. Do you know if I need a license in this area and if so how do I get it?  Thank you

Yes you do, You need to go to the Mairie and register your property then you have to pay taxes on the income you make in france.

Hi Oliver,

By the 50% tax allowance on rentals do you mean 50% of the income made is not taxable?

Merci James

What is this new thing. Airbnb will collect the tourism tax due in French cities and pay to the Council direct? Is this true 

My apartment is in Beausoleil where tax de sejour is payable. 

@Arahni0,

If Airbnb will be collecting directly the Touristic Tax in your area you should received a mail to inform you about.

If Airbnb don't collect it for you in your area you are due to collect it directly from your guests and pay it to the local tax department  (if not you could be sued and obliged to stop touristoc short term rental).

From 2018 Airbnb will be obliged per law to declare to tax department every income made through Airbnb. In addition, like in London, they will put a counter on listings. Up to 120 days per year you will have to provide to Airbnb any proof your listing is declared and legal. If not it will be automatically snoozed.

Sasko2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Anonimus

I hope to get some answers on my questions. Paris is such a uncertain place at the moment and nobody knows what is exactly the rules..

There must be few simple steps to take and legalise the property before renting it out..

What are those 3 crucial steps for renting second home in Paris.

How hosts can protect from French law geting that tax number or what other taxes we need to consider in order to rent our second home.

Is there good accountant or law firm we can use..

Finally how many days we are allowed to rent in Paris my place is in the 12th quarter.

Thank you

. Hi, very good article, thanksbut nowhere can I find which are the 200 TENSE housing municipalities?  And what does 'Tense' mean in English

Cheers

barry

Hi Christine, I have a one bedroom bungalow ( a converted pigsty) so it isn't our primary residence but is on our property of our primary residence and shares the garden with us ( it is a courtyard style layout) am I right in selecting the option of primary residence? Or do I need a licence? I am in cadours area 31480. Many thanks 

Nathalie228
Level 1
Mableton, GA

I have a 1 bedroom apartment in Vannes(Morbihan)  and the student I rented to just left and because I can't rent again on a 10 month student  furnished contract, I am considering using  AIR BNB. I live in the US. Can someone help me find out f I need to ask for a permit to rent thru AIRBNB until the end of August? Thank you.

@Nathalie228,

I think reading all previous posts on this thread you will find all general information you need. For more specific informations have a look on http://www.mairie-vannes.fr/vannes-citoyenne/mairie-en-ligne/taxe-de-sejour/ and for more general ones: Location de vacances en meublé de tourisme : déclaration et classement.

Kenavo 

James312
Level 1
Glenorchy, New Zealand

Bonjour Olivier,

Can you please advise me svp.

I pay income tax in France for the first time this year.

I have a small house in a mountain ski station and have had a few rentals when I am not there, it is my primary residence.

I am not sure if is worth my while as I am concerned that any revenue I make will be added to my income and could push me into the next tax bracket.

I could potentially make about 5000 euro in income in less than 120 days.

The home is fully furnished primary residence that I renovated last year, spending 40,000euro on the renovation, could I deduct any of last years expenses off against the income?

I understand the tourist tax I would have to pay to the Marie.

I am wondering if the income generated falls into the same category of income tax and added to the income I make and taxed accordingly or if it is taxed seporately at a specific rate?

Merci

@James312,

Every Airbnb income up to 1€ count, have to be declared and will be taxed depending of your situation. Obviously this additional income could push you into the next tax bracket.

You have to ask taxes department (in France it's part of their job and are very efficient giving advices) or an accountant which way is the best for you: standard taxes (taxes on 50% of the total Airbnb income) or allowable expenses (make sure you match all requirements and be aware what expenses could be deducted).

For the tourist tax, make a search as a guest for a place where is your future listing to see if Airbnb yet collect directly the touristic tax or not. If not you will have to pay it directly to the mayor department.

You will have to declare the Airbnb income in a specific line depending of the status you choose. For standard status (50% taxable) the income will be declared in "Bénéfices Industriels et Commerciaux - MicroBic".

Anyway for all taxes question and information I advice you to go directly to your tax department. They will give you right, official  and legal advices.

Nick197
Level 1
Beaumont-du-Périgord, France

Hi

My question is this...........

If a tenant sublets a flat in Paris  (without my permission ) on Airbnb can I claim the rent as mine not his ?

Can I deduct the money he has made on Airbnb from his deposit when he leaves my apartment?

Thankyou .