UK Host - French regulations for my second home

Answered!

UK Host - French regulations for my second home

can anyone help out with the French regulations, ,my french isnt all that good ,I would like to list my second home but dont understand the formalaties .

1 Best Answer
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Lovely to meet you. It is great to see you here in the Community Center. 

I see quite a few of you have questions around French regulations. I wanted to let you know that we also have a dedicated French speaking Community Center, which you might like to explore and perhaps also try posting your question there, as you might have more chance of getting a response to your question. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

View Best Answer in original post

68 Replies 68
Don54
Level 1
Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, France

Hi Christine

we are 25 yr n the French Riviera and own 3 villas,

new regulations for rent comming out 

very danger for landlords

call me if you nee help

Michael

[Personal information hidden]

Erin120
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hello, I own an apartment (pied à terre) that I sty at when I'm in town for business. Is it still true I can't rent out for more than 120 nights per year? I have 114 booked so far for 2017. I am not sure where to go for a tourism license or if it is even with it for say 30 more nights in bookings? Does anyone have any insight on the process of getting a tourism license and if it is worth it to pay the 50% taxes in this situation. I'm an American who owns this as a second home and I am running all of this through a USA business tax ID currently. Airbnb has been no help. Thanks in advance for any advice... 

@Erin120,

Unfortunately if this is a "pied-à-terre" this means it's not your main residence. The 120 days limit is ONLY for main residence, for secondary house you have to be registered since the 1st night to be legal.

For all license process please read this article (in french) from the Airbnb Help Center: https://www.airbnb.fr/help/article/1383/h-bergement-responsable-en-france--mise---jour-f-vrier-2017

To resume: in Paris to get a licence for STR you have to 'put' on the long term market' another listing for the same surface if it's not your main residence. Fees for renting against french law is about 25.000€ (27000 USD). And as, per law, Airbnb is now obliged to declare each host income to tax department and mayor department it will be very difficult to stay under the radar.

My best friend is a lawyer and she have yet been informed about many hosts being obliged to stop airbnb since the beginning of 2017. With about 45.000 listings in Paris this became a real market for tax department to make easy money.

Hi, according to airbnb rules you provided, this qualifies as my primary residence (not a peid a terre).  Only 8 months I need to live there per year for it to qualify. I travel a for work but Paris is technically/legally my home base for most of the year. I am American but have residency in France. Either way, i want to be legal so will stay under the 120 nights or get a tourism license. Thanks

@Erin120,

Thanks for your reply and happy to know you will be one of the few legal host in Paris 🙂

Attention Olivier

Please can you advise...

In an Indivision of 3 owners we rent out our home in Cannes.

In 2016 we earned E24,520 over a period of 64 days.

Our expenses for the upkeep and renovation of the property for 2016 came to E 28,235.

This year 2017 will be a very similar scenario with very little profit if any.

And in 2018 we will have a big expense to repair the pool over E8,000

This is the only property we own in France and we all live in various parts of the world and pay tax...there.

Do you think we should register as a micro - bic business.

We pay our yearly Tax Impots/Fonciere and Tax Habitation

Thank you

All income earned on property rentals in France is Taxable in France. 

Our primary residence is in the Netherlands and we have now listed our 2nd home on AirBnB .  Do we pay income taxes in France or in the Netherlands? Tourist Tax is to France of course. 

Thanks for the info!!

Hi All

I would welcome very much any advice on the French regulations and what I need to be aware of if I wanted to host in Treguier. 

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. 

Matt178
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Olivier

I have a house in France which I have registered as a Chambres d'Hotes. Do I have to get a separate licence if I want to put the whole house on Airbnb, or is the licence that I have sufficient to cover both of these options?

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Olivier

We[3] own a property in INDIVISION in  Cannes which we rent on Air BnB....

We all live and have our main dwelling outside of France.

Would the house in France be considered our first or second residence as this is the only property we own in France.

Thank you Susie

Hello!

I'm new to Airbnb and I'm about to list my second home which is in France, Bossey 74160 but I don't speak french very well and would like to learn about the leasing regulations in my town. I understood from your conversation that the rules differ from one town to another. So if anyone can let me know what the rules are in my town (Bossey) or where I can get the information from I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Salman

Chris714
Level 2
Paris, France

Hello all,

I ran into a bump on the French governemnet website trying to register my Airbnb experince in Paris as a micro-entrepreneur. lautoentrepreneur.fr site asks for my SIREN number but I can't get it until I register on the site first. This can't be the catch-22 it seems. Any tips? 

Also, can I use my personal bank account for my payout account or better to set up a new one? 

Thanks, Chris 

You have to have a separate bank account for your business as anAE

Adriana322
Level 2
Chamonix, France

I’ve been following this conversation but I’m getting more confused. I live in Chamonix, I have one room (and occationally my appartment) listed on airbnb. My friend has his house empty most of the year because he lives in Kwait and wants to put it on airbnb but he wants me to manage it. 

1. Is it possible to manage the property it from my account?

2. How would I get the payments?

3. Is there a problem with Taxes?

4. Is there any prohibitions to do it?

I will very much appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Adriana