“Friendly neighbor” who constantly calls the cops

Shandrea1
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

“Friendly neighbor” who constantly calls the cops

Hello,

I started hosting about three months ago and I’m doing really well and I notified my neighbor that I was going to be doing Airbnb and I gave them my cell phone number and let them know that if they had any concerns to please give me a call. I’ve been in the home for over a year And I have a pool. I usually have family or some sort of function in the summer and up to October and I never had complaints from my neighbors.

I just started Airbnb’g about three months ago with hosting and I almost didn’t get my home sharing permit because my neighbors started calling the city to complain that I was having guest. I was able to get copies of the complaints and it doesn’t say who it is, which doesn’t matter or me but the complaints were bogus and false and i have video evidence and time stamp of the opposite of their complaints. I ended up working that out And getting my permit but now I’ve been getting police driving past my house flashing their lights inside my windows and they actually came to the house yesterday when I had guest and luckily I have a ring and I was able to answer it so that my guess were not disturbed. I’m assuming they’re calling and doing all the stuff because They don’t want Airbnb in the neighborhood however it’s not like a quiet neighborhood. We have people that have parties till one 2 o’clock in the morning we have a mariachi band that practices a couple days out of the week. In fact last night, three houses were having parties and the police came to my house but according to my other neighbor didn’t stop by anyone else’s.

We have a super busy and supportive community so I not sure who it is; it’s so busy, my Next door neighbor actually has a Zumba business where she has people exercising and working out four times out of the day, six days a week and I never complained and I was very supportive. So I don’t know if it’s my two neighbors next-door or if it’s someone in the neighborhood. 

So far it hasn’t affected my guests but I am concerned it will start. When I see My neighbors on a regular basis, I greet them,  I say hello but I haven’t directly come out and ask them like hey are you calling the police because I don’t want them to feel like I’m intimidating them or trying to retaliate against them for calling and complaining. I just simply continue to give Kind notes and leave them in their mailbox and let them know that I’m available 24 seven so they can call me for any issues.

I know that my guesT or not being obscene Or causing a lot of noises because I have cameras all around my house and I can see everything on the outside and I have two rings one for the back door and one for the front door. I am very strict and I ask guest to end pool and outside usage by 8pm which I shouldn’t have to do because I never do that when I have events or Gatherings for my self.  My guests demographic is just families that have kids and I have a pool so they’re swimming but they’re not swimming past 8 PM and I’m pretty transparent about what the expectations are and requirements. With all the precautions and extra respect, my neighborS still continuously call the police and make complaints to the city As well.

I’m wondering if anyone has ever experienced this type of friendly neighbor before and what they have done and if anyone can give me any recommendations; like do I need to have an attorney or what I should do to try to help rectify this because I’m making really good money and I’m not even booking to full capacity That’s allowed and I’m being very respectful of how many people I actually bring or allow during the week because of covid. I even paid to have a fence out up to help blocK some of the noise of guest enjoying the pool. 

If Any host can give me any type of recommendations or if anyone has ever experienced anything like this, if you have constructive feedback and recommendations I am open and welcome to them and I appreciate you for reading this long SOS message of help thank you.

8 Replies 8
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Shandrea1 

Wow, that's a really tricky one. It sounds like you have tried all you can to ensure that your guests do not disturb your neighbours, but unfortunately, some people simply do not like the idea of an Airbnb next to or close to them, no matter what you do.

I Airbnb rooms in my own house and, prior to that, I had long-term renters. One of the main reasons I decided to switch to hosting was that I travel quite frequently and the renters kept throwing parties without my permission while I was away, with no consideration for the neighbours.

Since then, there have been none of these parties and my guests have never disrupted the neighbours in any way, so it is SO MUCH BETTER for the neighbours than before. Still, although they have never reported anything to the police, they often drop little comments about all the people coming and gong from my house and how they can't keep track of it (I host long-term guests who usually stay 1-6  months so it's not a lot of people coming and going). They drop enough of these comments to let me know they don't like it. They have no specific complaints at all but just don't like the IDEA of it.

It's very hard to address this issue not knowing which neighbour it was and not being able to talk to them about it. Did the police provide you with any information about what the complaints were specifically about?

Is there a polite way in which you can discuss this with each of your neighbours to ask if they have any particular concerns about your guests?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Shandrea1 

PS I know you said you are trying to keep things safe during COVID, but given the situation in your neck of the woods, it seems highly likely that neighbours could be upset about the whole idea of Airbnb due to the current situation, which I guess would be kind of understandable. 

Are you sure you are complying to current local COVID regulations about short term rentals? If not, this could be what the complaints are really about, not noise or partying.

Thank you for sharing. 

i did ask the police is there a way to see what the complaints are and when. I right up the street so it’s not like I can’t come and stop anything out of my house rules. They were evasive so I have a few watch commanders and supervisors for LAPD I am going to call. I offensively don’t want any tentikn with the police especially whats going on in this climate. The less interaction the better, even on a positive. 

yes following covid guidelines. There were three Hines having parties yesterday and like I said it’s  a very busy block. 

thank you for the ideas also! 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Shandrea1  It sounds like you're doing everything right.  8pm seems early to me too.

As for your neighbors, I might consider contacting the closest ones..1-2 doors down and across the street, say hello, tell them you want to make sure your guests don't disturb them, tell them that is why got the ring cameras, give them your cell again and tell them to please call you if there are any issues.  I don't know what else you can do?  You could also ask them if there is anything THEY think you can do.

Your problem is going to be that after XX many complaints, even if they are unfounded, it is probable the city will pull your permit.

I assume you're telling your guests to be always mindful of noise, etc.  Some hosts also have a noise detecting gizmo that alerts if noise goes above a certain level.  You might look into getting one of those as it would help you prove that guests are not being noisy/alert you if/when they are so you can take steps.

Bad neighbors is always a tough situation.

Thank you Mark! That’s my plan today to speak to them. 

I am also looking to buy a noise sensor that keeps a report as Evidence in case I have to go to court which I am willing to do. 

I appreciate the suggestions! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Shandrea1 

Years ago, I shared an apartment in Cape Town with a friend. When my visa expired and I had to come back to London, my boyfriend there took over my room. However, shortly after, they got evicted from the apartment because the downstairs neighbours kept complaining about the noise.

A few weeks later, the letting agent contacted them and asked them would they like to move back in. Why? Because the apartment had been empty the whole time and the neighbours were still complaining about the noise above.

Seems some people will just complain no matter what you do. 

I do feel for you!

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

you should NOT have let neighbors know you were doing airbnb. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Shandrea1  What a headache!

I'm wondering whether your police precinct has a community affairs department?  Every precinct in the NYPD has officers working that department, and if you can find out who at your precinct that might be, I would make an appointment and go see that person with a box of cupcakes and a list of the things you mention above that you do to monitor your Airbnb and mitigate any disruption to the neighborhood.

Also, if it weren't so serious, I would say your neighborhood qualifies for a sitcom - you've got a mariachi band, a Zumba class, poolside family gatherings, friendly neighbors, and a sad mystery neighbor furtively calling the police...