Full-length Mirrors?

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Full-length Mirrors?

https://www.langria.com/https://www.langria.com/

I’ve been reading that full-length mirrors are often appreciated by guests.  I’ve been looking around at stand-alone mirrors, wall-mounted mirrors, leaning mirrors, etc.  Do any of you provide full-length mirrors for your guests?  If you provide stand-alone or leaning mirrors, are they durable and safe?  The last thing I want is someone to shatter a mirror and hurt themselves.

-Pat

31 Replies 31
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Pat271 

I have a full length mirrors on the back of the door of all my wardrobes.

I can't take credit as they were there when I bought the house.

I know I always want a full length mirror in my own home,  so they're useful, but not a deal breaker I would think, especially if people are primarily only staying a few nights.  

I personally wouldn't consider the idea of a stand alone one in my listing - dust collection - cleaning - possibility for breakage -  but it depends on your clientele and your listing

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Pat271 

I found out early on that guests really appreciate a full length mirror. A few of my first guests mentioned the lack of one. I have one in each of my three spaces. They aren't fancy. I buy the standard 'dorm mirror' at Target for $5.99 I think. In two of my places, I used the double sided tape and stuck them on the back of a closet door and the wall of a bedroom. I was worried at first about them falling off but its been over a year and they are still securely in place. In one unit I have one propped up in the closet. It's very light and guests will move it to different places to use while they do makeup, get ready, etc.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pat271  I don't have one, but I saw some that hang over the top of a door and could kick myself for not buying it when I saw it, because they didn't have any when I went back to the store. That would be the only kind that would work for me, as there is no wall space to mount one.

I do think it's something guests would appreciate.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Pat271  I would provide at least one. They are useful. I have one right now in my rental...it's a behemoth heavy, stand alone tilting model that my hubby made 35 years ago for his mom. It couldn't be moved/broken! Because my listing accommodates 5 and only has 1.5 baths, I'm considering fixing a light weight framed wardrobe mirror to the back of one or two of the bedroom doors, just for added convenience. We have a few families coming to stay for weddings this summer, so they will get used, I'm sure! I have them in my own home and they get used a lot. 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

We have a freestanding "cheval glass".

The guests could just as easily cut themselves with a wine glass...if you can't leave a mirror in a room with adults then it is a worry.

This would not be safe if we accepted children.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I have two of them.

The first one is in the bedroom - it is glued to the wardrobe door. The second is on the hallways wall.  It's from IKEA - there is some kind of adhesive film on the back. Even broken, the pieces will remain glued to the foil.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Pat271 

For my first two years of hosting I did not provide a full length mirror but after a number of guests told me it would be a worthwhile inclusion I purchased one and installed it behind one of the cupboard doors and guests do appreciate it.

What they do appreciate even more though Pat, in the cottage bathroom above the countertop I have a wall mounted 2 ft (600mm) square mirror which I have mounted on a wall scissor bracket (meant for wall mounted TVs) so the mirror will extend away from the wall over the countertop . Women applying make up particularly like this because the mirror will extend out off the wall almost to their face without them having to bend over the countertop. And with LED strip lighting around the timber frame it gives them heaps of light. Every woman who uses it says it is a complete winner!

Although it has a couple of shortcomings (which I am working on), I have set my listing bathroom up totally with women in mind. I have tried to think of every eventuality and they do appreciate it!

Cheers......Rob

@Colleen253  @Sarah977 @Emilia42  @Rowena29 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I have a wall mounted one. Takes up less floorspace in my little listing. Makes the hall look bigger too, bonus .

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Several guests in the early days told me they needed one, so I sucked it up and got one for the back of the bedroom door. 

@Pat271  I got in a short time private feedback from multiple visitors that a full length mirror would have improved the guest space. One specifically said "it's a girl thing," and perhaps that was a gentle way of saying that two male hosts might have some blind spots to the needs of female visitors. I didn't go for a floor-to-ceiling mirror but rather a very affordable one about 1.5m in length that I could securely mount into a narrow bit of wall space, and that was sufficient to keep everyone happy.

Most of our guests are walkers/hikers. probably not bothered by the lack of a full length mirror.

The bathroom has a full length mirror.

But nobody has mentioned missing having one in the bedroom so far.

I'd put one on the back of the door if one turned up.

Better to have one than not have one, I guess.

@Kevin1322  If I shared a bathroom with guests and there was one in the bathroom, I wouldn't concern myself with putting one in the bedroom- like you say, no one has mentioned it. In my case, guests have their own bathroom, and I don't have a full length mirror anywhere in the guest space, which is why I wanted to get one. No guests have ever mentioned it, though, I just thought it would be a thoughtful addition. Like your guests, mine are mostly just going to the beach or off on some outdoor excursion, they're not getting dolled up for a night on the town (which is also why don't get the make-up stained towels or bedding)  or trying to look presentable for a business meeting. 

The older I get, the less I look in the mirror- the image just doesn't reflect how I feel 🙂

Funny thing is I have two day jobs, one is a frame shop.  I could make a decent full length framed mirror in five minutes  It's quite telling that the only thing on our lounge wall is a TV. 🤣

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We have standing swivel mirrors that are full length. I think they came from Overstock-- probably about $40  each. I have honestly never have a guest mention them but I use them myself all the time.