Fuming at CS and feel helpless

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Fuming at CS and feel helpless

One of my listings is currently only licensed to be rented for 32 days or longer. Still waiting for the short term license from the city. The fine is $5000 per night for breaking the rules. I have been told that the city pretend books properties to find offenders and fine them. I have my min stay at 32 nights and state this in the description. There was a technical glitch that allowed a guest book three nights over the New Years day. My price per that night is low if considered independently, without the long terms stay factored in and so I am sure it was very attractive to her. I contacted her immediately and she cancelled without a problem. I contacted Airbnb and reported the glitch. Today someone asked me for a special offer off that ridiculously low price for the same three nights. I just told him no without going into many details and raised the price significantly for that one night thinking that I will avoid these bookings by pricing regular guests out and if city pretend books I guess I will have to fight them by showing that I immediately cancelled. My only other alternative is not to list the place so I am kind of between a rock and a hard place. I patted myself on the shoulder for creative solution just to return to my computer for an absolutely evil message from Airbnb telling me I am on some serious warning and on the brink of account being frozen for misuse of special offer feature with the today's guest (the one I just dismissed). First of all, I am doing all of this because they cannot fix their site. No one even got in touch with me from the technical team after last report. I am sure they have done absolutely nothing. Second of all, I am allowed to raise and lower the prices as I please. I did not send a special offer to this guest, I did not withdraw one. I did not use that feature in any way. How dare they! And what if they do freeze my account?! As we all know, there will be no one to hear me out on the other end.

7 Replies 7
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

still fuming and no support from my usual crew that helps me calm down :). Are we not allowed to raise a price immediatly post inquiry?

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22

I'm not sure you should calm down because I'd be fuming too! No, this sounds like yet another glitch or computer generated whatever.

But the voice of reason says just ignore the message. The chances of ABB actually pulling a host is slim to none. Heck, it takes them weeks sometimes to pull a host for a legitimate reason such as a scam or horrible listing!

We got your back!

Thank you @Suzanne302. I messaged them through FB and they said no violation. But still would not fix the glitch

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 my listing that has crazy city regulations is not on IB, bc I can't take the chance & that is the only way I can know for sure that a reservation is timed correctly

what about that?

another idea is to make each nightly price quite high & then add the discount that would make the monthly rate come in at what you wanted.

OR

have a huge "cleaning fee" and then the daily rates can be normal

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kelly149 all fantastic ideas. I sort of did what you suggested by raising price for that one night but you are right, i can raise for all nights and give long term discount, I love it. Hate to remove IB. I barely get any bookings there in the first place but it would solve the issue for sure

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22

I've found your long term listing this morning ( 10 hours ago) and was unable to book for less then 32 nighs so someone did fix the glitch already

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I have noticed that it happens to requests over New Year only. Maybe something to do with a new calendar year