Fun updates and improvements to your space ๐Ÿ˜€

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Fun updates and improvements to your space ๐Ÿ˜€

After a long journey and several iterations of materials I'm really excited about the improvements to our kitchen.

IMG_20211114_153744_926.jpg

โ€ƒ

20211113_090848.jpg

โ€ƒ

I love fixing up our cottage....I really do it more for me than the guests. (Rethinking our backsplash now because it competes a bit but that's a project for next year. ) These counters are sealed against water and stains, and the custom chopping and hot trivet will (hopefully) give guests some ways around damage. We shall see...

What fun improvements have you made to your space this year? Any plans for projects next year?

30 Replies 30
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  It's gorgeous. 

You mean the backsplash behind the stove? I like it, I wouldn't change it myself.

@Sarah977 I like it too, but I am worried that its too busy with the counters. I don't have any choice but to live with it for awhile as I have no more money lol. 

@Laura2592  I think the "too busy" has more to do with what is in front of the backsplash than it somehow clashing with the new countertop. I'm not suggesting you do this, but I bet if you had solid color mugs on that shelf and the oven mitt hanging there was a coordinating color, etc., it would cease to look busy.

Also wouldnโ€™t change it. Not too busy. Itโ€™s super cute

Amy B

@Laura2592   I also like the backsplash - I'd describe the style contrasts as eclectic rather than busy. It's a fine line, I know, but all the different layers of character and history feel more authentic and interesting to me than a more streamlined aesthetic. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 this year we added this free-standing deck with chimenea to give our little cabin an outdoor seating area with a lake view.

27-web-or-mls-SunriseCabinTwilight_20210509_0130 copy.jpg

@Lisa723 that looks positively magical! I bet the guests love it. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Lisa723  This is simply gorgeous! I'm moving home next year and saving this for my garden mood board!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

I love those wood counters! Is it cutting block? 

If not, we have a local host with a gypsy caravan with beautiful wood counters and she has a note reminding guests to please use cutting boards and not to cut directly on the counters. Just in case you hadn't thought of it...

It looks amazing! ๐Ÿ˜

@Lenore22 I had a cutting board made and put it on one side of the stove, and a big marble trivet in a wood frame for hot items on the other. I am sure someone will cut on the counters-- I am more worried about scorch marks. Its sealed, so it shouldn't stain. I am surprised by how much easier to clean it is than the laminate. 

@Lenore22 The kitchen bench looks similar wood to what my husband built my last kitchen. He also made a big chopping board which we kept by the stove. Yes, as@Laura2592 said I would be wary of guests not appreciating the beautiful  woodwork and labour of love put into this creation.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

The issue is more with actual cuts in the wood than stains. @Laura2592 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Pre-pandemic, we decided to get rid of our playset.  But a few guests mentioned it was a nice feature during quarantine. At first, I wanted to update the swings but it morphed into a new playset with 

75B1B660-9013-48EB-B628-5564DA334812.jpeg

a molded rubber surface beneath for extra safety.
This winter we are finishing our basement. 

@Ann783 that is super fun! I would be tempted to climb on that myself lol.