Fun updates and improvements to your space ๐Ÿ˜€

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Fun updates and improvements to your space ๐Ÿ˜€

After a long journey and several iterations of materials I'm really excited about the improvements to our kitchen.

IMG_20211114_153744_926.jpg

โ€ƒ

20211113_090848.jpg

โ€ƒ

I love fixing up our cottage....I really do it more for me than the guests. (Rethinking our backsplash now because it competes a bit but that's a project for next year. ) These counters are sealed against water and stains, and the custom chopping and hot trivet will (hopefully) give guests some ways around damage. We shall see...

What fun improvements have you made to your space this year? Any plans for projects next year?

30 Replies 30
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I NEED this for my son @Ann783 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Ann783 what a great child play area for a little one to enjoy.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I love the counter and sink @Laura2592 , it came out really nice! I am also a fan of the backsplash. Maybe it would look less busy if you took away the oven mitts and spices and put them in a draw?

@Emilia42 I don't have any drawers lol! What look like drawers are false fronts. But yes I am trying to rethink my accessories. Maybe get a spice rack? I took this pic right after everything was finished and we were staying with family-- its not the "official" one. I need to update the photos lest I get hit with a poor accuracy mark for a nicer sink and counters so I am thinking about what sort new mugs etc to get.

@Laura2592  How about cafรฉ au lait colored mugs if you can find them. They'll go with what looks like the base color of the backsplash, and won't compete for attention.

@Laura2592 I love that sink, especially. Looks great! Copper colored mugs would look good, it looks like you have one or two there already? Or black. And you could put the spices in little stainless tins for a cohesive look. 

@Colleen253  The spices in stainless tins is a great idea. 

But I never understand why people think keeping spices above the stove is a good idea. Heat and light are terrible for herbs and spices and cause them to lose their flavor quite quickly.

@Sarah977 because some of us don't really cook lol. 

Those ended up there because guests could never find them and I got that feedback. No complaints since. I am NOT a cook by any means. Making a salad with some sauteed mushrooms on top is as adventurous as I get. I am sure if you were more serious about your meals you might put your spices elsewhere. 

@Laura2592...I found this at the big box store that starts with the letter W.  Includes the labelled bottles filled with spices too!  Under twentyone U.S. dollars!  

round spice rack.jpeg

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592   The backsplash looks okay, but my vote is that it is a little busy with the copper sink and butcher block counters, something more plain seems like it would work better.  The counter and sink are gorgeous.  

@Mark116 its not in the cards at the moment, but I will live with it and see ๐Ÿ™‚

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 Looks great! And I like the tile as-is

Amy2092
Level 2
Kampala, Uganda

Mine is a few days from even being listed, but at the last minute I couldnโ€™t figure out how to child-proof an original 1902 window that was too low to the ground, not well secured, and even with baby guards installed over it seemed like a risk in an attic space we were filling with board games and such. Ack.

SO,โ€ฆ

We nailed a piece of plywood straight over it. Painted the entire nook in blackboard paint, and made it a โ€œsecret kidsโ€™ fortโ€™ with a set of 4 touch-operated stick-on lights in red/green/yellow/blue. Finished it off with cheap curtains and a sign made by my friendโ€™s 7-year old โ€˜kids onlyโ€™.  From a problem situation I think itโ€™s really cute. Hopefully guests will like it!

(And then I totally failed to get a picture of the inside of it before I left townโ€ฆ alasโ€ฆ the photographers will hopefully capture it this week when they take pics for the listingโ€ฆPXL_20211118_140756811.jpgPXL_20211118_141825647 2.jpg)

Amy B

@Amy2092 super cute, creative solution! We have a deep window well like that in the bathroom. I call it the cat nook ๐Ÿ™‚

George222
Level 2
Tubac, AZ

After seeing these photos and considering the general idea of the post, I fond myself completely reimagining the design of my listing space