Funny mistakes you have made as a host

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Funny mistakes you have made as a host

I almost just sent an email to a guest asking what kind of smacks they prefer rather than snacks. Freudian or simply autocorrect? Lol.

What are your funny stories about misunderstandings or mistakes you have made while hosting?

10 Replies 10
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

“I think you may have forgotten some stiff in the bedroom closet….”

@Brian2036 lol. So many ways that can go....

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

Maybe that’s how your ghost got in.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592 Early in my hosting, I had a guest book and the profile photo was of the person holding a basket of tomatoes, looking up from under a straw sunhat, with curly blond shoulder-length hair. Said they were an organic gardener from Oklahoma. Looked to be a cute hippie-type guy in his mid-30's. Up til then, I'd only had female guests, so was curious to find out if hosting male guests would be any different.

When the guest arrived, it turned out to be a woman in her mid-40s. I could tell it was the same person as the photo, and when I told her about my misperception, we both had a good laugh. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

"What kind of smacks". This cracked me up @Laura2592 😆

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

I can remember I accidently incorrect the name of a person by using Autocorrect option. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Laura2592   When the guest was a professional woman with a masculine name ... and I addressed her husband by her name.  Bottle of wine, quick!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  The funniest blooper I ever read about (although mortifying to the host at the time) was posted a few years ago by a host who used to be quite active here, but who I haven't seen here for a long time. 

It was her very first booking- a family of 4 in her home share listing. As I recall, they were foreigners.  They were going to be arriving quite late, after she goes to bed, but she told them she'd just leave the front door unlocked for them and some lights on, and gave them clear directions as to where to find their room.

She went to sleep, never heard anyone coming in, then woke up the morning in instant total panic, realizing she had forgotten to leave the door unlocked.

She found the whole family curled up asleep on the front porch, covered in their coats and clothing.

After apologizing profusely for what a forgetful idiot she had been, she showed them in, made them breakfast, and they were most gracious about it all. She and they all got along wonderfully during the stay, actually laughing about both her and the guests' first Airbnb experience.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 @Sarah977 

The host of an apartment I rented in Wales several years ago lived in the apartment next door and advised me that I was welcome to “knock me up anytime you feel the need, day or night.”

Luckily I understood or there might have been an unfortunate incident.

@Brian2036  😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄  loool