Funny stories to make you smile 😃

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Funny stories to make you smile 😃

Hello All,

hope you are well.

having hosted for over the last three years (almost) i can testify that we have had some super awesome people and some not quite so.... so, in the hope of bringing more joy to this community I ask that you please share your best/worse stories. My hope is for the funny ones. 

I will start it off- I had this lady come to stay at our apartment and as lovely as she was, she had no common sense. Having just changed the locks (new home) we made sure to choose one which is super easy and automatically locks upon closing it. 

Here is when it gets funny... she called me to say that she is locked in and  me being me thought... great, she was not given a set of keys or forgot them and meant locked out. Nope... she was locked in, inside the house by the main door. And despite trying to use the house keys in her hands (she sent me photos showing me that she had keys- which would work as well FYI) she tried for 30 mins and then needed help to come out.

So having been used to the lock I went about explaining to her how to unlock it- there is a lever on the door handle, whilst holding onto this you pull it downwards (towards the floor), keeping it in that position- you then pull the door towards you, as in into the flat. This would unlock the door- and is the easiest way of doing so. 

This lady (who speaks perfect English) then goes on to put her hand on the door handle and waits for it to open... and Then proceeds to send a photo of this as to show it does not work. Despite not moving towards producing an action to follow.

I think she thought it was electric but surely if there was some technology embedded in the door handle the design would be more advanced and have some sort of electrical source? Realistically the host would have also mentioned this upon check in?! Just my rational. 

All in all, it took 30 mins and may I just add this was whilst I was getting ready for a business Meeting for work.

Since this incident (jan 19) we have had 5 others like this and now are made to show all guests how to open the front door- we have a saying in my family that ignorance is contagious 😷 and this is a small proof for it being so. 

Hope this made you smile and have a great day! 

Yadi 🙂

28 Replies 28
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lawrene0 This is awesome. I accidentally read this walking into a meeting- could not keep a straight face after especially once I saw the photo. Thank you for bringing a smile to me face 😊

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Another story about keys and people only used to one way of doing things.
Got a phone call from a guest saying he couldn't find the keys.  After a couple of minutes, I was sure he was at the key box, but he kept insisting there were no keys there. Just to be on the safe side, I asked my neighbour to check the box and sure enough, the keys were in there.  Guest was handed the keys and was bewildered by the strange metal things on the key ring.  Turns out he was used to swipe cards and had never used a traditional key before!

Jesus Terry, where was he from? I can't believe...

@Terri0   I saw a hilarious you tube video where a man had recorded his 11 year old daughter trying to answer the phone. They were in a hotel and the desk phone rang and the dad said to the daughter, who was standing right next to it-"Answer it." She stood there staring at it, looking confused. He said "Just pick up the receiver and answer it" She still was bamboozled. She had never used anything but a cell phone and didn't even know what a receiver was.

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

And a weird thing another guest did: he plaited the cords of the kettle, toaster and sandwich press together. Guess he was trying to keep things tidy?

Then there was the ONE guest.  He would always put ONE knife in with the teaspoons, ONE wooden spoon in with the forks, ONE saucer on top of the stack of bowls, ONE dinner plate on top of the saucers, ONE vege knife inside the mugs hanging on the rack, ONE...

@Terri38 That would seriously have driven me mad!

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

Hi all Yonna here (cohost) Thomas and I had one particularly sh*t week last year.  After one set of guests left the apartment particularly messy I began taking pictures for our own personal “wall of shame” first up was the dirty diaper that came flying at my feet when I pulled the covers off the bed to wash.  However that newfound pastime was short lived by the time the second guests of the week checked out and I sniffed something foul and as they had “forgotten “ to take out their trash, I set about collecting it and right there on top were dirty adult diapers.  I gagged so hard I couldn’t bear to stop and photograph as I removed the screen from the back window and threw the entire sack to the ground to avoid stinking up the stairwell on the way down.  I highly recommend glad forceflex bags.  They don’t break easily!  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have palm trees that produce large bunches of seeds that start out green, then turn bright red as they ripen. They're quite beautiful, although I have to rake them all up regularly when they fall, as each one sprouts a new palm in the grass, or my flower beds. There are literally 100-200 seeds on each bunch, each about the size of an olive. 

One guest asked me what they were, and then asked, quite seriously, if I had painted them. Not as in done a painting of them, but actually stood on a ladder with a paintbrush and painted 200 seeds red.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 lol 🙈

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Yadira22  I've lived in the US, Israel, Canada and Mexico. Doors always opened inwards.

Sue383
Level 2
Great Broughton, United Kingdom

Not funny but nevertheless rather astonishing - We had 2 guests that turned out to be brother and sister (We only found out 'cos there was only a double bed made-up!!!) and, when they left they rang my cleaner to say he had left a paperbag under the wardrobe.  He wouldn't say what was in it and, as there were some new guests in already, the cleaner and I agreed to sneak in and take the bag to return to the original guest.  (As he wouldn't say what was in the bag and we knew kids were then sleeping in that room, we assumed its was drugs, dirty videos or something shameful.)  We sneaked in and the bag fell open revealing about £15,000 in cash neatly bundled up.  With our eyes popping out of our heads we locked up again and went to my house.  I kept the bag and made arrangements to return the cash to its rightful owner but.......worse was to come......the new guests had found the money, put it back and when they went out to walk the fells, they left a hair on the door handle!!!  It, of course, had fallen off and the money gone.  They, like us, had assumed the bag was a 'drugs' stash, packed up the family and left the cottage, village and the county at great speed!!  Only they stopped at the then police house saying 'I don't know whats happening in that cottage but you need to check it out for drugs dealing.'  The local policeman fortunatley knew us and said 'If it is the Hannahs it won't be illegal and definitely not drugs but he would find out'.  So with me guarding £15,000 in cash, the police roll up asking questions.  It all turned out OK as the police checked out my original guest to ascertain it was honestly earned cash by a man who hated banks!!! and I wrote to the second set of guests and apologised for their scare - though I never saw or heard from them again!!!

Rob516
Level 1
Ao Nang, Thailand

Funniest one we had was:

When we went outside, sometimes there mosquitoes.

We are located in tropical Southern Thailand. Blame God!

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

We had a lovely Chinese group stay with us last year, travelled everywhere on public transport and managed to see everything after we dropped them of and picked them up from stations a few times, they were so nice they invited us to dinner in our own kitchen which was quite bizzare but very enjoyable! Coming from very rural China made them particularly interested in mechanical processes and when I was cutting the lawn the men in the group were showing so much interest, I offered for them to have a go... they were elated! Watching three grown men fighting over who could cut the lawn next whilst being photographed by the other members was hilarious. They were so happy and their enjoyment was infectious.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 that’s lovely! I love it when you see adults enjoying themselves as if they were children! Generally, we are too serious and to not lose that quality is a great thing! Have a beautiful day! 🙂