Furious about lack of accountability/truth with wildfire cancellations

Nikki339
Level 2
Olalla, Canada

Furious about lack of accountability/truth with wildfire cancellations

First: it's actually not about the money here - it was a short stay and it's August - it's about the principal..A guest cancelled three days before coming - and, despite my 5-day cancellation policy - Airbnb have sided with her and refunded 100% of her money. She messaged me last week to ask about the fires - I explained they were at least an hour away from me and we weren't affected. I sent photos of the blue sky. Then - she cancelled without discussing with me. I took this up with Airbnb - I sent them photos - links to the webcams on Drive BC so they could see for themselves - and the wildfire map - showing NO FIRES NEAR ME. And  after a few days back and forth of them totally not listening and just parroting set replies to me... this: We’ve given your case and its details careful consideration and we determined that the guest X is eligible for full refund.
We understand that this might not be what you’d hoped for, but we came to this outcome because our specialized team assess the situation and the reservation fell under Airbnb Extenuating Circumstances.
Our review is complete now, and we won’t be able to offer additional support on this case at this time.

I'm angry because it's not true. I would 100% be fine with refunding money if there was an issue with fires or smoke - but there is none. I'm really, really annoyed! 

1 Reply 1
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Nikki339 It's because the BC Gov't declared a state of emergency, province wide. Those are covered.