Futz and hair on blanket, guest wants a discount

Answered!
Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

Futz and hair on blanket, guest wants a discount

My whole home yesterday let me know that there was hair and schmaltz on one of the computers, and wants a discount.

Pictures here http://imgur.com/gallery/wxVkVEm

they did send me pictures, not that I really care to argue with something like that anyway. And it does indeed look like there's hair and schmaltz on it. I don't know how my cleaners missed it.  that said, there are stacks of clean blankets in the guest bedroom closet that appointed them to

I asked them what they thought was fair for a discount, and they haven't given me a number yet.

So I thought I would see what other Airbnb hosts think is fair.  I do not charge for cleaning as a note.

it is technically a duvet cover, so I can just be removed, and I do do French shooting, which is say a mattress cover and a bottom sheet which technically is meant to protect you from the comforter, but they're right it does have hair and schmaltz on it.

1 Best Answer

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

That is a great statement......Would they be happy to sleep there in the hair and schmaltz for less money?

I have never had it happen but, my feeling is people who ask for discounts are scammers. This one may be genuine  @Mary1211  but it is a growing trend. There is a certain class of 'guest' who carries around a supply of bedbugs which they will introduce on the final day of a week long stay and claim a full refund....and get it!

Offering discounts for supposed issues is the thin end of the wedge and gets the guest to thinking they might be onto a good perk! Many Airbnb users are only here because they are after a better deal than the hotel industry offers and if they can exploit that further, I think many of them would.

Apolgise profusely, offer them a special offer for another future stay where you will personally guarantee the cleanliness and attention to detail and leave it at that.

Keep in the message stream that you offered to put things right but the guest refused  your offer and if they lodge a complaint with Airbnb you can state you don't like being subject to extortion!

Cheers......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Mary1211   Yes, I feel I was a bit hasty in suggesting she offer $50. The more I think about it, the less it seems to be grounds for a discount. It wasn't some huge inconvenience, and was easily and quicky remediable, and for all Mary or anyone knows, the guests themselves did it just to get a discount.

@Sarah977 

Hindsight is such a great thing! Stuff happens which we react to and often think better of later. This forum helps form considered reactions to situations we would never normally consider or even ever encounter so hopefully if they do we'll have the presence of mind to react more appropriately to them.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mary1211  Have you considered that the guests themselves put the hair and whatever muck on the comforter themselves, then photographed it? Just to get a discount? Like @Robin4  talking about the fake bed bug scammers. 

If your cleaner is generally good and there's never been an issue like this before, it might be a total scam. 

It seems like if the comforter was already dirty, the guests would have just notified you of it and reasonably expected that it would be dealt with ASAP. They might have asked near the end of their stay if you might consider a discount because of it, but to send you a photo and immediately ask for a discount based on that, seems a bit suspicious.