GIVING UP on hosting after 2yr. Guests left defamatory and lying review, Airbnb DONT care!

GIVING UP on hosting after 2yr. Guests left defamatory and lying review, Airbnb DONT care!

We had 2 first-timer guests staying with us for 1 week and it was not pleasant. They broke our houserules and did not respect our home. Made us scared to come back to our own home... I tried to suck it up for days but couldnt handle and was going to cancel but the case manager was not there and never called me back, so they stayed the night then left us a horrible review.

So here's their review translated in English as their review is in another language:

Communication with the hosts was no more than basic, showing no interest in giving us information about the region. They only spoke to us when we asked something or to impose rules. Also we were not comfortable to use the sofa as there were seats for only two people. Although we are clean and organized people, we feel a lot of pressure in this regard. As examples we can mention the concern so that our shoes did not touch, at any moment, the floor of the house, not even to leave them in the room. The cat (which is very cute, by the way) jumped all the time about our food while we were cooking or eating and we could not pick it up with our hands because we would be getting the cat dirty. Also the cat could not possibly eat human food, but as he jumped all the time on the table and the stove, we were left with various concerns about it. At one point the hostess was very angry because the cat stole food while I cooked, screamed at us and locked herself in the bedroom, slamming the door. But the responsibility for the cat is definitely not of the guests. The ad also said that cooking is allowed, but every time we cook (even turning on the cooker hood) they are clearly bothered. Anyway, it was a complicated week, we spent the whole time in the room laughing about how our breathing could contaminate their environment! We did not feel comfortable

I cried when i saw it.... just so much false info, hiding details and lying. We were chatting happily until the accident when 'our cat stole food while they cooked', they were cooking raw chicken and she told me Koko licked the packaging, im like are you sure coz raw chicken could be dangerous, he could get samonella, then she started giggling...?!??!?! I pick the cat up and said its not funny, she kept giggling as i walked away into the bedroom, not slamming the door. She did not talk to us after that day. She seemed happy while playing with the cat all night in their bedroom but thought the cat was annoying when they wanted to cook one day at 5pm another day at 9:30pm. We had to tell them to turn the exhaust fan on 3 or 4 time as they would cook stir-fly dishes at early morning and late night, which they did not mention in their review. 

But we chatted plenty before, we know they lost their jobs, their dog jumped over high fences and they locked their house up to come here to study English in order to get a high level job in their own country. We showed them where our swimming pool and gym are... told them where to get this and that.

I dont know what he means by the shoes. We said he could put his shoes next to the front door or in the laundry, he asked if he could leave them in the bedroom, we said yes. Also the sofa part???? it has been used by 4 people plenty times (IKEA Friheten sofa-bed). They never said anything about it during their stay...

They failed to mention that they locked our cat in the bedroom without telling us because they needed to cook. Left our cat in a room with no light and scratching the carpet under door wanting to get out... Their response 'But the responsibility for the cat is definitely not of the guests', I dont know what to say. 

What shocked me more was their following part: 'we spent the whole time in the room laughing about how our breathing could contaminate their environment!', I cannot possibly imagine anyone saying anything like this.... it was not their breathing, it was their attitude, their lack of respect, their treating our place like a motel, their breaking of our houserules, their thinking they can do whatever whenever they want. 

Airbnb will not take it down whatsoever. Clearly lying is ok, defamatory comments is ok. Done hosting.

63 Replies 63

I understand they could still post a review, just tried to end the agony sooner.

Piper and Andrew, it sounds like you had a rotten time with these guests and I was sorry to hear your story.  We had one bad batch this year, very upsetting, but pragmatically recognise that that's a failure rate of around 4% overall and I don't think it actually can be improved on, whatever precautions we take ourselves or however nice we are, or however strongly we vet our guests.  There is always risk and I'm glad it was no worse for you than a bad review and inconvenience to your cat, which can be recovered from.   I have had some really surprising reviews, mostly excellent but it is odd what people focus on and I think most people reading reviews are good at seeing through the obnoxious ones.  I always respond under a review which is unfactual, or unbalanced, thanking them for their feedback and putting the record straight.  Don't give up!

What if you don't leave a review - they wont leave a review either; no superhost statuses no double pressure just hosting.by double pressure I mean - if guests dont like your flavor of coffee they can get a refund anyways so why bother with reviews? im not just being smart here, im new to this but I picked up quick- you can do everything absolutely perfect, they can burn the house and you dont mention; play cool, give them a great review to seal being the bigger persondeal, and then they will either skip a review or ask for refund or some way of a getaway..lately I dont feel like giving reviews. I do my best, I know I leave them happy; and I do not write reviews first. If I do- I open the door for them to complain for things like this: after triggring the fire alarm I jump to see flames coming out of the toaster and my two guests who have been enjoying the vegas dispenseries all day on the porch come back at me:" Is the toaster old?" Meaning they would likely make someone believe that the reason their meal /chips cought on fire is not because it was touching the very top cook at max heat for too long not realizing it, but because my toaster is old make or something. Sure the newer makes don't catch on fire by these situations..I say nothing; I took the day off to avoid the smoke, and I was peachy the next day to clean after their dog in the yard. So is the guest dog the host responsibility? If your cat is not:) ?back to toaster- I had another case of a drunk guy who melted stuff on top of the toaster  while using it. So im taking toaster oven off the kitchen. I can't tell adults not to drink and smoke. Its Vegas. Its hard. Dare say honest review though I would never move up from 2 stars.. People don't like to acknowledge how irresponsible they really are-their first response when they do something silly is right away to blame it on someone/ something else - like the toaster example here; not the fact that they are very drunk or high; so you will only get a bad review from rating such people. They are most defensive and quick on their feet to lie and turn stuff on you. And we already know whose side will be heard  you will be refunding them for their uncomfortable experience even! I think thats what your guests were trying to pull on you too! happened to me..

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

C'mon @Piper-And-Andrew0. For those Brazilian first-timers? I've been through some struggle with Airbnb CS trying to remove an unfair review from a guest who came late and then blamed me for everything. Recently a US first timer scored me 4/5 total because I dared to advise him to always read hosts' profiles and rules. I could draw a map of problematic guests for you. 😉

Seeing what is going on with the world, we will meet more and more irrational guests. I guess it will be like survival of the fittest for hosts.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Yea you are so right, def getting harder and harder.. i guess I am weak.... 😞 dont think its worth it for us, I haven’t had a good run for this listing and these guys are just a trigger. 

It is getting ridiculous they want a cheap vacation but expect a 5 star hotel  they dont realize how stressful it can be to constantly invite strangers that judge You on Your home the sense of entitlement and superiority is mind blowing

It is definitely frustrating when you work so hard to please.looks like some people  have a beer budget and champagne taste.

I couldn't have said it better, Valerie. I hear you about the "entitlement and superiority." Some guests are just full of themselves and refuse to take responsibility for anything such as carefully reading the listing details, list of amenities, and house rules that I have taken great pains to make crystal clear so that prospective guests can make informed choices. 

My listing states very clearly that it is a mountain getaway that is located 5 miles from the main body of the town. I'm sick of people complaining and giving lower than fair locatoion ratings because of the "remoteness" and the 1.5 miles of gravel road from the entrance of the subdivision to our door. People who want paved sidewalks, street lights, and convenience stores a block away need to stay in hotels in the city. 

We have same problem.I had to put the same wording in a few areas of my listing-we are 1 hour away from Downtown!!!

Guys NYC guests are  the best lol

So standard spartment in NYC cost $300 per night

In my country for $500 i get this standard for a month

And I have guest who come & complain it's tooo expensive lol

Go complain to Trump USA is too expensive not me 

Well said.  Couldn't agree more.  I would like to see Airbnb exercise some level of care.  Since all guests want "Instant Book" there is no possibility for host's to pre screen.  I won't go into my horror stories but there is a solution.  If the guest left a review that was Yes or No to such guestions as " was the lisitng as described?"  if No-please tell us what was not accurate.  As the system for reviews now stands there is no need for truth much less constructive criticism.  Guest also seem to use the reviews as a way to vent over unrelated issues or exert some small power trip!  You all  know what I am talking about.  It all breaks down to a complete lack of moral and ethical standards on the part of Airbnb.  We as hosts are left to mop up the mess.

Hi, @Marzena  - I would be interested to know the outcome of your struggle with Airbnb over a bad review. I had a nasty one; I don't really worry about the content as anyone paying attention can pretty much see through it. (He didn't read my listing and his expectations were all wrong when he got here.) BUT - he gave me one star in some area - I'm finding out it's the stars that hurt me.

I replied to an Airbnb notice about my status after his review - with no response, of course. I can't figure out how to connect with an Airbnb PERSON at all now. (A few weeks ago, I could.)

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

They will not contact you - and if You try more - they will close your account 🙂

You're welcome.

You're only honoured when you bring money to the table

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Piper-And-Andrew0, a week with such a spiteful attitude must be horrible. One thing is sure, if any host crosschecks the reviews the potential guest left, they won’t get accepted again.  Did you leave a reply yet?