GIVING UP on hosting after 2yr. Guests left defamatory and lying review, Airbnb DONT care!

GIVING UP on hosting after 2yr. Guests left defamatory and lying review, Airbnb DONT care!

We had 2 first-timer guests staying with us for 1 week and it was not pleasant. They broke our houserules and did not respect our home. Made us scared to come back to our own home... I tried to suck it up for days but couldnt handle and was going to cancel but the case manager was not there and never called me back, so they stayed the night then left us a horrible review.

So here's their review translated in English as their review is in another language:

Communication with the hosts was no more than basic, showing no interest in giving us information about the region. They only spoke to us when we asked something or to impose rules. Also we were not comfortable to use the sofa as there were seats for only two people. Although we are clean and organized people, we feel a lot of pressure in this regard. As examples we can mention the concern so that our shoes did not touch, at any moment, the floor of the house, not even to leave them in the room. The cat (which is very cute, by the way) jumped all the time about our food while we were cooking or eating and we could not pick it up with our hands because we would be getting the cat dirty. Also the cat could not possibly eat human food, but as he jumped all the time on the table and the stove, we were left with various concerns about it. At one point the hostess was very angry because the cat stole food while I cooked, screamed at us and locked herself in the bedroom, slamming the door. But the responsibility for the cat is definitely not of the guests. The ad also said that cooking is allowed, but every time we cook (even turning on the cooker hood) they are clearly bothered. Anyway, it was a complicated week, we spent the whole time in the room laughing about how our breathing could contaminate their environment! We did not feel comfortable

I cried when i saw it.... just so much false info, hiding details and lying. We were chatting happily until the accident when 'our cat stole food while they cooked', they were cooking raw chicken and she told me Koko licked the packaging, im like are you sure coz raw chicken could be dangerous, he could get samonella, then she started giggling...?!??!?! I pick the cat up and said its not funny, she kept giggling as i walked away into the bedroom, not slamming the door. She did not talk to us after that day. She seemed happy while playing with the cat all night in their bedroom but thought the cat was annoying when they wanted to cook one day at 5pm another day at 9:30pm. We had to tell them to turn the exhaust fan on 3 or 4 time as they would cook stir-fly dishes at early morning and late night, which they did not mention in their review. 

But we chatted plenty before, we know they lost their jobs, their dog jumped over high fences and they locked their house up to come here to study English in order to get a high level job in their own country. We showed them where our swimming pool and gym are... told them where to get this and that.

I dont know what he means by the shoes. We said he could put his shoes next to the front door or in the laundry, he asked if he could leave them in the bedroom, we said yes. Also the sofa part???? it has been used by 4 people plenty times (IKEA Friheten sofa-bed). They never said anything about it during their stay...

They failed to mention that they locked our cat in the bedroom without telling us because they needed to cook. Left our cat in a room with no light and scratching the carpet under door wanting to get out... Their response 'But the responsibility for the cat is definitely not of the guests', I dont know what to say. 

What shocked me more was their following part: 'we spent the whole time in the room laughing about how our breathing could contaminate their environment!', I cannot possibly imagine anyone saying anything like this.... it was not their breathing, it was their attitude, their lack of respect, their treating our place like a motel, their breaking of our houserules, their thinking they can do whatever whenever they want. 

Airbnb will not take it down whatsoever. Clearly lying is ok, defamatory comments is ok. Done hosting.

63 Replies 63
Cindy223
Level 3
Taipei City, Taiwan

Same here. You can refer to my posts: 

"He who comes into equity must come with clean hands. Call for Improving Review System!"

"Can Thieves Review the Police? Airbnb Review System is Wrong!"

But since you don't want to be an airbnb host anymore, just forget it and relax!

Susan187
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have just had a horrible experience with a guest who spent the majority of his time in his room rather than touring - not a problem, but he then had the heating on all day along with his light on all night due to "not being able to sleep".  I said I would have to charge if he continued and gave him a cost of which he agreed.  He has now giving me the most insanely bad review and also in the part that only I can read is that he has been extremely rude.  I have also found all my saucepans missing (which were there the morning of him leaving)   Reading this email thread I am now concerned that my listing will be suspended after pretty much receiving 5 stars all the time.  

What is the point of having a superhost status if after one crap review you are not supported by Airbnb.

You will not get suspended after one 'crazy' review, that is the reality.

Douglas52
Level 2
Colorado, United States

In my experience, suspension was only for falling below a 4-star average. which apparently represents the bottom 10%.  I didn't have that many reviews to balance out a 1-star review. I imagine a superhost would be far from that.  However, when I called them, I was told that they would review my status after a second bad review. I don't know; the two people I talked to didn't seem too knowledgeable.  Anyway, Airbnb seems to have discontinued that service, I can't find a way to contact anyone there by phone, email, or carrier pigeon.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Piper-And-Andrew0 Delete your Airbnb account and start again! There are many good guests out there and i am sure you will meet plenty of them in the future. Such thing happen mainly with first timers but it can also happen with guests who have many good reviews. I know this must be very frustrating for you but try to move on. Good luck and never give up hosting!!!

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, that would be a radical measure for a superhost with 50 reviews like @Piper-And-Andrew0

The listing is not visible at the moment (I guess Piper snoozed it like I did with mine, being as furious); but I would rather add prominently in the text and in the rules, " other things to note / Animals", that guests are not supposed to be alone with the cat and the cat is not allowed in the kitchen when cooking. If she follows you around, please put her in the hall and close the door.

That makes the guests in that review seeming in breach of the rules even more.

Btw: I added a "Don't feed the neighbours' cats" to my rules - no more take out food rests for them. 

Ans4
Level 2
Rustenburg, South Africa

I'm a brand new host, with only 6 reviews, of which 2 were also a rather unfair 4Star:

Because it was long after dark that they arrived, I offered to fetch this elderly couple at the turnoff from the highway and brought them home safely...even gave them supper, seeing that they were very tired after a long day's drive. Although she was very appreciative of our "walking the extra, extra mile", she still mentioned the "difficulty to find the property on our own, without assistance from the hosts" !! All other guests had no problem at all to get here, right at our gate.

The second group of six students had a safari tour booked and wanteds to know how long it would take them to drive to the Game Reserve...but they could not tell from which of the four gates they would be departing. It is 40 mins to the first gate (we double checked the next day), but it took them an hour to the third gate. So they gave us a 4Star rating for "inaccuracy" ! Very unfair.

Hopefully Airbnb will come up with a more balanced way of reviewing hosts...and guests!

They will not. There is no motivaion for that. They are all for the guests now. I had a review from a lady that I let look at the apartment before she came to stay because she said she had bad knees(she had both knees replaced but was still very over weight so knees still hurt) She had a son who was 26 years old and austistic and very child like and charming. I suggested she bring him and coe look atthe listing to make sure it would work for her. I also told her she could cancel right after viewing if it would not work for her. I made sure she sat on the bed and the couch and that they were satisfactory. I showed them the floor matress the son would use(didnt charge extra for extra bedding and set up). She was concerned that her son might be made fun of or misunderstood by neighbors and I told her I wold contact neighbors and other guests to let them know he was harmless and to keep an eye out for him as he is very trusting. He liked to pretend he was lasering imaginary bad guys with his finger. She assured me the apartment would work out great. 

She was too lazy to pay attention to what I showed her when they came to stay and too lazy too  look in the drawer next to the stove for pot holders, dish towel and dish rags and complained that there were none(she stayed 10 nights). She complaned that there were no tissues and she had a cold(I did not promise them and do not supply them as they clog the toilet and are not good for plumbing) 

She left me a nasty private note in the unit not thanks for being accomodating or anything. Then gave me 3 sttars and started her review with Even though this is a first floor apartment it is not hadnicapp accessible. I never said it was my listing doesnt say that either but Airbn let her review stand. She complained that the bed was too low, there wasn't one piece of furniture that she could get up out of(there are regular dining chairs, a large hitchcock chair and counter hieght bat stools in the apartment) She also complained that my steps were too steep(historic and not allowed to change) I even noticed her son missed the bus one day and was on the porch waiting for the back up ride to his workshop job so I went over and sat with him until they came to pick him up. He was charming, she was miserable. 

I think hosts and guests should be able to alter communication after the review because there is no way to know if they did not communicate issues until they leave it in a review. I asked her and she told me everything was fine. I told her in my reply I would have gladly brought another chair over for her if she would have let me know and I was sorry she didnt enjoy my historic hoe built in 1897 but she did see it a month before she checked in and assured me it was ok. She even complained that she had to park up the block and it was hard to walk to the apartment. I still hate her and hope I never run into her again. But I did not let her stop me from hosting and Helga gave me excellent advice for the reply! 

@Ans4 you have my problem; when you go the extra mile however it seems to show people/guests some kind of vulnerability; as if you are making up for somesomething they can't place their finger on but soon come up with it:). I know this; and still can't help myself to overdeliver. I would even go get them from airport or give them the whole house- but then you are responsible for the  comfort of the ride and the extra house you gave..You see the picture?

Ans4
Level 2
Rustenburg, South Africa

Sjoe, I'm getting worried now about hosting children! I've blocked them out on my listing initially, but two groups asked for special permission, and everything worked out fine...so much so that I've taken that off the listing. But it is possible for children to climb onto the roof fromthe braai area and unruly children might get themselves into trouble. Or am I too cautious?

Appreciate your input!

Ans.

Maria1413
Level 1
Rathdrum, Ireland

Dear all

I am very sorry to hear what has happened to you.

I had a bad experience in October with a couple that packed up their belongings in France, filled up my beautiful room with all their thrash. He then set up a lapm system in my rom to grow tomatoes.

Left a filthy lying review and as you said ABNB were very happy to publish it and probably believed this disgusting scary couple. In the house all day showeringf until they emptied my tank.

So scary these people

Help

Sheryl31
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I have 40 Holiday rental properties. On the whole my guests are great, but then there are the few. They complain about everything, demand my attention constantly and destroy my homes. You will never please everyone, some people will go out of their way to be difficult. My most recent was a guest who misunderstood the information, i told her 3 times that she had misread but she cancelled anyway. Then tried to get her deposit back, when i refused as per the terms and conditions she tracked down my website/Trip Advisor and Facebook pages and left the most untrue awful reviews, she also got her friends to do the same. I was devestated at the possible effect on my family business.

FamilyKJ0
Level 9
Phoenix, AZ

@Piper-And-Andrew0

I am so so sorry. I had a bad situation too. Maybe you could try anpother platform, like VRBO? If I stop doing airnbnb, or something similar, I'll have to sell my house, but I considered it.

I rented my house to four adults under a different system. My house can hold 10 or more, but of course its easier to clean after 4 since they just use 2 beds. The lady making the reservation claimed they needed to get away to practice their church quartet. I offered to have my piano tuned. They sounded so nice and quiet. I had another guest coming in soon after so i had to think twice before deciding whether or not to rent to these people. I ended giving a 30% discount if they would leave a few hours earlier or Sunday.

My guests arrived late Friday. I live over an hour from my rented property, but I have fantastic neighbors who watch out for me.  I got a call Saturday at 11:00 AM that there were 11 kids jumping on the second floor deck and that there were people on my roof as well. I have a metal roof, so its very slippery and a person could easily be injured falling off the roof!

I tried to call the renter but there was no answer. I sent a message that the house was reserved for 4 adults only & they were to leave immediately, or I would be callling the police. The "guests" left, but I am still dealng with the aftermath. I had to clean EVERYTHING in the house. Who knows how many people were there, I suspect 18!!, so every blanket,sheet, pillowcase, towel, washcloth, rug, mattress cover and comforter must have been used. The floors and bathtubs were awful. It took me two 12 hour days to clean and i still had to get help after that.

I am still dealing with requests for refunds and a horrible 1 star review, even though before I "caught" her she said I as the best host she'd ever had. The lady said "I didn't do nothing wrong." I said "You did something wrong. You lied to me."

I am raising my prices and making new rules. "You are not allowed on the roof" ( duh!) . Only 7 people are allowed on the 2nd floor deck at any one time and jumping is not allowed. ( duh again )  Written permission must be made for any guests in the house other than those listed on the reservation.

The guest must agree that people in the house without written permission constitutes a breach of contract and that the guest reliquishes the deposit and the right to any refunds.  In reality, if someones mother or child wants to come over for dinner, I'll say yes, but i feel like I need to be very strict in the rules otherwise it is too dofficult to prove a breach.

Karen & Jeff

Scott-and-Sherryn0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

You were scared to come back to your own home, yet you gave them a pretty good review????

Claudiu-Nicolae0
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

I feel sorry that you had a negative experience with the guests, but you can't be a perfect host for everybody, as well as guests have a right to their opinion, and their experience and perception of what had happened might differ from yours. Neither AirBnb, nor other booking web services remove negative guests reviews, it's a common practice. All that hosts can do is to respond politely to a review explaining the situation from their perspective, even if a guest is lying.

It seems to me that in this particular case both sides had mutual misunderstanding. The cat issue, in my opinion, is worth thinking about it. Even a cat person won't be OK with such behavior of a cat. A cat should know which zones of the house are No-No (especially, such as kitchen or dining table). You can train your cat in order to avoid stress for the cat and as well as for your guests.