GIVING UP on hosting after 2yr. Guests left defamatory and lying review, Airbnb DONT care!

GIVING UP on hosting after 2yr. Guests left defamatory and lying review, Airbnb DONT care!

We had 2 first-timer guests staying with us for 1 week and it was not pleasant. They broke our houserules and did not respect our home. Made us scared to come back to our own home... I tried to suck it up for days but couldnt handle and was going to cancel but the case manager was not there and never called me back, so they stayed the night then left us a horrible review.

So here's their review translated in English as their review is in another language:

Communication with the hosts was no more than basic, showing no interest in giving us information about the region. They only spoke to us when we asked something or to impose rules. Also we were not comfortable to use the sofa as there were seats for only two people. Although we are clean and organized people, we feel a lot of pressure in this regard. As examples we can mention the concern so that our shoes did not touch, at any moment, the floor of the house, not even to leave them in the room. The cat (which is very cute, by the way) jumped all the time about our food while we were cooking or eating and we could not pick it up with our hands because we would be getting the cat dirty. Also the cat could not possibly eat human food, but as he jumped all the time on the table and the stove, we were left with various concerns about it. At one point the hostess was very angry because the cat stole food while I cooked, screamed at us and locked herself in the bedroom, slamming the door. But the responsibility for the cat is definitely not of the guests. The ad also said that cooking is allowed, but every time we cook (even turning on the cooker hood) they are clearly bothered. Anyway, it was a complicated week, we spent the whole time in the room laughing about how our breathing could contaminate their environment! We did not feel comfortable

I cried when i saw it.... just so much false info, hiding details and lying. We were chatting happily until the accident when 'our cat stole food while they cooked', they were cooking raw chicken and she told me Koko licked the packaging, im like are you sure coz raw chicken could be dangerous, he could get samonella, then she started giggling...?!??!?! I pick the cat up and said its not funny, she kept giggling as i walked away into the bedroom, not slamming the door. She did not talk to us after that day. She seemed happy while playing with the cat all night in their bedroom but thought the cat was annoying when they wanted to cook one day at 5pm another day at 9:30pm. We had to tell them to turn the exhaust fan on 3 or 4 time as they would cook stir-fly dishes at early morning and late night, which they did not mention in their review. 

But we chatted plenty before, we know they lost their jobs, their dog jumped over high fences and they locked their house up to come here to study English in order to get a high level job in their own country. We showed them where our swimming pool and gym are... told them where to get this and that.

I dont know what he means by the shoes. We said he could put his shoes next to the front door or in the laundry, he asked if he could leave them in the bedroom, we said yes. Also the sofa part???? it has been used by 4 people plenty times (IKEA Friheten sofa-bed). They never said anything about it during their stay...

They failed to mention that they locked our cat in the bedroom without telling us because they needed to cook. Left our cat in a room with no light and scratching the carpet under door wanting to get out... Their response 'But the responsibility for the cat is definitely not of the guests', I dont know what to say. 

What shocked me more was their following part: 'we spent the whole time in the room laughing about how our breathing could contaminate their environment!', I cannot possibly imagine anyone saying anything like this.... it was not their breathing, it was their attitude, their lack of respect, their treating our place like a motel, their breaking of our houserules, their thinking they can do whatever whenever they want. 

Airbnb will not take it down whatsoever. Clearly lying is ok, defamatory comments is ok. Done hosting.

63 Replies 63
Dee33
Level 10
Reston, VA

I have a different take than most others in this thread. It makes complete sense that they would be totally grossed out by your cat jumping on the kitchen counter when they're trying to cook. Your reaction was very odd; you were more concerned about the health of your cat than that of your paying guests, whose dinner had been licked by the cat.

Do you normally allow the cat to participate in your culinary adventures? Why is your cat not trained?

*Of course* they locked the cat away after this incident, and I don't blame them.

Margot45
Level 3
Darwin, Australia

I recently had cause to ring Airbnb to ask for my options with a guest who was not following the house rules.

I explained the following to Airbnb:

1. My listing clearly outlined the number of guests, the 'rules' for using the kitchen etc.
  2. Before their arrival I confirmed in writing that the listing was only for two people and they confirmed that they understood this
  3. They gave their daughter my phone number (without my permission) and she contacted me prior to my guests arrival asking if she could also stay. I advised her that this was not possible as there was only one queen bed for 2 people. She scoffed at me and said 'surely you have another mattress'.  I said no and informed her that I had confirmed with her father that the booking was only for 2 people.
  4. The first morning they broke the 'kitchen rules' which state that use of the kitchen is between 7am and 9am (because we work from home and the kitchen is on our level of the house).  Despite me reminding them of the house rules they were still in the kitchen at 11am.
  5. Their daughter stayed the night, sleeping on my couch, without my knowledge and again, they broke the kitchen rules, starting cooking at 3pm when access to the kitchen is from 5 - 9pm.
  6. It didn't matter how many times I spoke to my guests, they just said they understood and ignored me. 

The Airbnb staffer that I spoke to and explained all of this to told me it was a personality clash. When I told her, 'no, you have misrepresented what I have said' she then told me it was a misunderstanding between me and the guest.

Airbnb couldn't understand why I didn't want them to 'mediate' on my behalf given they were clearly putting all the responsibility for what had happened onto my shoulders.

Surely a clear and precise listing, two confirmation emails and several one on one conversations with the guest to remind them of the house rules and their responsibilities should be enough. Apparently not.

If I cancelled their booking, based on their actions, I would lose my Superhost status and not be eligible for Superhost for another 12 months. I would also have to repay the nights cancelled while having those nights blocked so noone else could book them. 

To be told it is 'disruptive for the guests' was an insult. As I explained to Airbnb, it is also disruptive for the hosts to have guests who blatently abuse the system. Why do the hosts get punished for guests actions?

Airbnb is only interested in getting their fees. They don't care about the hosts.

@Margot45, you should probably let Airbnb “mediate”, precising clearly before, that you want the daughter out on the spot - you are not obliged to accept a third person. Also that you do not want any presence on the floor where you do business during your business hours. No discussion on that, next infraction they are out with no refund. If you have anextra person fee, it’s due for the nights the daughter stayed, but you still do not want her another night. 

With these terms let airbnb call the guest. 

It may frighten them into behaviour. It may make them leave. Or they may be so insolvent on the phone, that airbnb cancels in their name, full fee and no punishment for you. 

You just can’t expect, that they cancel for you without even hearing the other side. 

I kick people out during my work hours as well. Some are really resistant and I hve to be very insistant. Works most of the time. A clear review for the others. 

Priyanka7
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

The quality of guests on airbnb seem to decrease year after year- while they force us hosts to increase our standards. I'm sick and tired of guests leaving false reviews because they cannot communicate properly and then use the review as a "payback tool"