GUEST ACCUSATION

Kari27
Level 3
Sacramento, CA

GUEST ACCUSATION

Today I had my account suspended and money taken out of my checking account due to a guest filing a false safety accusation. Airbnb Safety and Health rep called me and listened to my response. It was a 10 minute conversation. About 30minutes later he sent an email stating that a "note" is being added to my account and if anything like this happens again my account may be terminated. Ending with now I can now access my account.

I have been with Airbnb for 2 years and a superhost for the whole 2 years.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? How do I get the accusation expunged. How do I file a complaint against this guest for false accusations?

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kari27 

You can report the guest by using the "flag" link on the profile.

If you disagree with the outcome Trust and Safety produces, you should contact Airbnb again.

Otherwise i think there are not much options left.

I did not see any negative reviews, except one of mrs A.

Was she also the person regarding this false accusations ?

Best regards,

Emile

hi thanks,

I contacted the trust and safety again but am being told I can't appeal and that a "note" is being left on my account incase this kind of accusation comes up again they can suspend my account permanently.

Also Airbnb wouldn't tell me exactly what I was accused of. They gave the guest a refund but took it out of my account, almost $300. Do you know if they can do that without my consent?

The guests name was Summer. She didn't leave a review. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Kari27 

You've stated:

Airbnb Safety and Health rep called me and listened to my response. It was a 10 minute conversation.

What was the conversation all about if not about the accusation?

Hi Ute, strange thing is rep asked me if any of my guests had a complaint. I answered no. He then told me the guests name but refused to tell me the actual accusation. I stated that the lady was angry because I wanted to enter the apartment with the furnace tech. The rep asked what she said to me. I told him she was angry and said I was unprofessional. 

I have emailed the Airbnb rep 3 times asking for an appeal, he denied it. I asked to have another Airbnb rep review the case, he said no one else will be reviewing the case. I asked for clarification of the accusation and he refused.

I don't understand why I am being punished but, mostly what I am being punished for.

Any suggestions?

Kari

@Kari27 It sounds as if the guest massively overreacted, but the fact is that a landlord may not enter a place when a tenant is in residence without permission.  I know that's the law in New York, and I believe it's the law in most US states.  You could check California laws.  I assume you gave her advance notice that the furnace needed repair and that you would be there at a certain time with the furnace tech, but did she respond that it was okay?

In california hotels rooms can be entered for cleaning and maintanence without permission. The guest in question was only staying 2 nights. I did call 10 minutes prior, left a message, then I knocked opened the door then said hello when I opened the door. She yelled from behind a door 10feet away she was in shower so, I apologized and closed the door. I never stepped into living area. I didn't think they were in. It was noon and she had told me they were out all day at doctors visits, thats why I didn't wait for a call back because I thought she was in the middle of her doctors tests.

I just want to know how to get Airbnb to give back the almost $300. they withdrew from my account. The Airbnb rep refuses to tell me what the complaint was and refuses to let anyone else look at the case. He refuses to allow me an appeal. His decision is final. By US law I have a right to an appeal.

@Kari27 @Olivier291 is correct.  You don't run a hotel.  You are a landlord and your Airbnb guest is a tenant.  You gave her notice, but you did not receive permission to enter.  Under California law, "the landlord can’t come into your apartment without your permission, or under very narrow legal limits without your permission. Otherwise, it’s trespassing, breach of contract, invasion of privacy, breach of quiet enjoyment, and disorderly conduct."

Even when someone rents a place for two days, they have the same rights to privacy and quiet enjoyment as a long-term tenant.  And believe it or not, "quiet enjoyment" is a universally recognized legal condition.  You breached it by opening that door without her permission.  You are not going to get an appeal.

@Kari27 

So an accusation has been made against you that has actually impugn your character and put you at a financial lose  and you're not allowed to know what the accusation is?

On what level of natural Justice is this right, Airbnb have lost the plot.  

Airbnb Trial, Judge and Jury.

This guest is totally unreasonable, why what has the guest got to hide is my first reaction , you want to do a maintenance on your boiler which if its a gas boiler is an imperative, carbon monoxide, and she is refusing to let you enter, I can guarantee you if your carbon monoxide monitor started to peep you'd definitely be banned from Airbnb.

The whole Airbnb setup has turned into a monumental farce, where lawyer and the crazy American love of BS has taken over.

@Kari27 , Airbnb listings such yours are not considerated as hotels and so the applicable law

regarding the right of entry rules for owners or managers into rental units says at least a 24h previous notice is necessary (6 days if notice had been given by mail) and only between 8am and 5pm. The only exception is an emergency.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kari27 if, as a guest, I was surprised by the host opening the door to the space, I would definitely complain to Airbnb.

Flo38
Level 2
Paris, France

Hi everyone,

A long term host in my family has been falsely accused by guest who has broken even windows.

Guest has accused my family of surveillance equipment in apartment.

That has never existed.

Airbnb refused to hear, refused to give proofs, has stopped listing like that and the many bookings on 2019

Angelika25
Level 2
Darwen, United Kingdom

I had a guest who booked one of my rooms for 6 nights and then extended his stay for another 4 nights. He did not use his room during the last night because he went on a business trip with his partner but kept his key and left the lugguage in his room. A day after checking out he demanded a total refund because he said that I racially profiled him and that he felt uncomfortable during his whole stay.

His accusations are totally untrue, either he twisted the situations or he outright lied. After me refusing to give him a refund he filed an official complaint with airbnb (I had already informed airbnb of the situation before the complaint was made and talked/emailed the relevant department who assured me that there would be an investigation in which they would ask the guest of proof and also consider my previous records with guests).

Following the complaint I received an apparently automatic response from the department, which cannot be reached via phone, informing me that my listings have been blocked (I cannot take any bookings) and asking me to confirm that I agree to airbnb's policy of inclusion.

I have answered this email but have not received any further communication from this department, have not been told of the exact nature of the accusations and not been asked to respond and give my side of the story.

So I feel I am considered already guilty and I am worried that airbnb can withdraw money from my account even without my permission and without giving y reasons for it and that they will rather believe the accusations of my accuser because that would be politically easier for them to do.

Please help !!!! Any advice would be appreciated !!!!

Monica1733
Level 2
Oakland, CA

I recently had a false guest safety accusation. AirBnB sent me a message saying they are investigating the incident and may cancel my future reservations “as a precaution” and said they may decide to remove me from the community. I talked to someone on the phone who could not tell me what I am being accused of “for privacy reasons.” They asked me a few questions and then told me they will complete the investigation soon. Sure enough, AirBnB canceled one of my upcoming reservations. Believe me, they are not “investigating” anything. They have also canceled the accusatory guest’s stay for the entire month that they stayed - I have a feeling AirBnB will be stealing more money from me soon to refund the guest. I have been a community member for 6 years and have several positive reviews. The guest making the accusations joined the platform 5 months ago and has no reviews. I guess AirBnB’s business model is punishing hosts for false guest accusations and making no money - They must be heavily investor funded and blowing through all the money, otherwise I can’t see how this is a sustainable business model.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

What the heck??

One of my favorite books is "The Trial" by Franz Kafka. In it, a man is arrested and put through a series of ordeals for his "trial" but is never told what he is accused of.  Though meant to be an absurdist surreal work, it was also a social commentary.  Maybe Airbnb thought it was an operations manual?

So basically someone can accuse you of a vague "safety violation" and you get suspended. Airbnb fishes for this information with the first question to guests after check out.  Guest says "yes, I felt unsafe. The neighborhood is sketchy" which is code for "There was a poor person near me." or "Someone who was not white was in the general vicinity." Airbnb suspends the host. never telling them why for "privacy reasons."  

This company gets weirder by the day. Honest to goodness.