GUEST PROTECTION -PROFILE PHOTOS -AWKWARD

Challen0
Level 2
Menlo Park, CA

GUEST PROTECTION -PROFILE PHOTOS -AWKWARD

I believe the anonymity provided by Airbnb to protect guests from hosts' discretion,

despite the good intention, is actually a step in the wrong direction.

The problem exists that guest profile photos are highly unregulated, often do not exist, or

have very little definition as to be intentionally vague.

Worse yet, this morning's example:

I was able to get a preview of an inquirer's photo and it's a non-descript photo at a gun range shooting a human silhoutte.

Uh... not that I am particularly against people who like to hone their marksmenship skills, but I don't think that's the intention of a bed and breakfast profile photo, at least not where I live.

The problem is, all hosts have to be upfront with their profiles and photos, but the level of uncooperativeness by many members is astounding.

13 Replies 13
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You are under no obligation to accept this guest.

His photo is inappropriate.

If you have IB, you can cancel this reservation because you are uncomfortable.

I am not against avatars, as they often show me  who a guest really is.

In this case, your guest is someone who likes to throw his "This is who I am , **bleep** u" attitude at you.

This has nothing to do with 2nd amendment rights. It has to do with first impressions and reasonableness.

Can you show us the picture?

D8A114CD-D863-4AD3-A2EA-51870935AADE.png

I refuse to use Instant Book, even though they have all the benefits that ALL hosts derserve, because even though Airbnb says you can cancel any guest that you do not feel comfortable with (for very specific, strict reasons), the fine print states that you are allowed only three cancellations of this kind per year, or lose Super Host status. Another unfair pro-guest policy!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Challen0, you are well within your right to not accept guests who don't have a clear profile photo of themselves, especially if they photo they choose to show of themselves is one using a weapon! Although @Paul154 makes a good point that at least these kinds of photos tell us quite a lot about who someone is! Decline, decline, decline.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Challen0.

I’m with @Paul154 and @Kath9. Decline, do not accept. Or as it’s just an inquiry, make some minor response and let the time run down...

I have in my house rules that a full profile and front on photo of them is required. There can be a whole group or family portrait , as long as I can distinguish the booking guest.

- If you write something in your rules, then that can be helpful to have them specify agreeance in the Airbnb message board, or the opportunity to decline not just because you are uncomfortable, but for not willing to accept house rules.

- I also require it to ensure they are not a third party booking.

- I also require it for safety and security, as many of our flight arrivals are between 1-2am, so letting unrecognisable guests onto my property, at 3am is not going to happen!

I have:

“Compliance requirements:

We only accept guests who have completed all Airbnb Compliance requirements:

Who will accept to follow all house rules - no exceptions

A profile summary

A facial profile image of the booking guest - you can see us, so it’s only natural, we would like to see you.  🙂

Government ID verification, email and phone number as minimum.

Instant booking requires a previous good Airbnb review, along with the questions to be answered.”

Challen0
Level 2
Menlo Park, CA

Hi @Cathie19@Kath9@Paul154

Thank you for your strong support.

I thought it was quite accidental that I was able to view any profile photo, when Airbnb is seems to be supporting some kind of anonimity for certain guest inquiries, but the photo turned out to be consistent with the palpable lack of confidence I received in the person’s introductory message which at best, serious or not,  was a one night party (which is against my rules).

Mandy3
Level 6
Falkland, Canada

Today was my first booking where the guest profile photo does not show up until AFTER i accepted her reservation.  This is so not acceptable.  People who would like to stay at my home can decide to do so after seeing MY profile photo, several photos of the inside and outside of my home, and read all of the reviews of all of the guests who have stayed here in the past. 

But I can not decide if I want to share my bathroom with some one based on "I will arrive after 5pm"?? 

Time for a new platform to share my home with travellers. 

@Mandy0 you shouldn't have. By accepting it you are collaborating with it. I totally understand you don't want to get jeopardize by being an example. But listen they are testing it with a few of us, it's not fully on.  I will make all my requests call them and explain why I'm not accepting their bookings. I'll make sure they are aware we are exchanging photos somehow. 

Here is how you can bypass Airbnb's stupid police and view hidden profile photos: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-to-View-Hidden-Profile-Photos/m-p/919440#M228298

Colin3
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

This is the stern message I just sent Airbnb. I will be interested in both their response and yours.

To Whom it Must Concern:

My name is Colin and have been offering our vacation home to Airbnb since 2014. In fact, I do believe we have been granted the title of Superhost consistently over the years ever since then. This very high-end home can accommodate as many as twelve people at a time. Since 2014, we have accommodated 886 guests from 5 countries, with groups often coming from multiple countries as family reunions.

Let me start out by saying that we have been extremely happy and impressed by the level of detail and consideration Airbnb has implemented into the hosting platform and overall host and guest consideration … until now.

We are not at all happy with your change in policy regarding the visibility of guest photos. The two most important features that used to separate Airbnb from its competitors was the ability to ‘see’ who was renting from you and their record from past hosts. The cliché ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’ stands true and we as hosts require as much information on a prospective guest living in our home as possible. We rent out our $2M home through Airbnb on a regular basis and up to now had a certain level of comfort seeing who was wanting to rent it before the reservation was committed. Why do we feel the need to hide behind a mask? Or be even more anonymous than we already are? What are we hiding? Would you expect someone to rent a home simply based on a text description? No! Of course not. They need to see what they are getting. They need a comfort level that the product is worth what they will be paying. They need photos. Would you rent a home based on text alone without photos? Well, we as hosts are in the same boat.

It is extremely important, and I can’t express this enough, the importance of putting a face to a name. Your reasoning of inclusivity is going too far. For us, it’s a level of comfort. We are allowing total strangers to reside in our homes and when we are deciding who should and shouldn’t have that privilege, a photo of that person goes a long way to instilling that level of comfort we need. We deserve the right to choose our guests based upon as much information as we can get on them. Photos and host reviews are vital to our comfort level and feeling that our home will be taken good care of.

The other reason why a photo is important is we can see new faces verses the familiar faces of guests who have stayed with us before or of those who made previous requests or inquiries, or those who have previously stayed. The photos connect to the first name and we can see immediately who they are by going back over previous inquiries as to just how easy or difficult that prospective guest was and will be. Without the face, all we have is a first name. I see the name but is it someone I have dealt with before? I can’t tell. Then I have to spend extra work digging through all my files to see if they have made an inquiry before, but can’t tell. Then I have to open up their profile and again, no photo. The name is familiar or is it just a common name? I can’t tell. Is the person male or female? I can’t tell. How old are they? I can’t tell. This is upsetting to be working in a vacuum like this. I am so much less easy now renting out my home to someone I don’t know and can’t see. I want to see their face. What are they hiding from?

Many names today do not identify the gender of the person and that is important. I have to treat a group of males differently than a group of females and when you have the ability to accept as many as twelve guests at once, well in our experience, this has to be treated differently. If twelve males want to rent my home, red flags go up. I have to read them the riot act before we both commit. It is so different and of less concern when twelve females want to get together. This is important.

And I can’t tell how old they are and that is important, too. From a photo, I can immediately tell whether I’m dealing with a grandmother, a responsible looking parent, or a university student (they usually have a drink in their hand and other guys and girls hanging off them in the photo.) If I can see that the male in the photo is mature and by that I mean in his forties, fifties or sixties, and there are twelve of them, I have no fear that they will be responsible and treat my home and neighbours with respect. Noise on the lake cannot be tolerated and the age of the group is important. I can’t see that without a photo. Do I have to now ask them how old they are and what gender? That’s not right. How would you feel if someone had to ask you that question? Think about it.

The way you dress and act in a photo is priceless information to us when dealing with inquiries. Is the person dressing like they are a responsible human being or ready to party all night long. I will no longer take that chance. If I can’t see them, I am much more on guard and less likely to accept them. I am now so much more on the look out for trouble and this is stressing me out. Are you hearing me? I’m getting stressed out just thinking about it as I write to you. Please, bring back the photos. This move will NOT bode well for Airbnb.

Please change the site back to the way it was. The photos are a prerequisite.

I’ve said my peace. Airbnb must do the right thing in assisting and protecting the interests of Hosts and their property by bringing back the photos.

Thank you,

Colin

Airbnb Super Host since joining in 2014

JuanCamilo12
Level 2
Medellin, Colombia

Hi Colin, Jhon and many others that are concerned about Airbnb's wrong move on removing the picture in advance... I am with you. I respectufully hope someone from Airbnb reads this and brings up our concerns. Having hosted close to 1,000 guests now on Airbnb and being a super host for a over a year, I feel deceived. Airbnb, if you wanted to avoid discrimination, I guess you did it the wrong way, as many of us, from what I read will be effectively discriminating everyone that doesn't have great reviews, which is uncommon in my case as Airbnb is not as spread out in my country as it is in others, so I had to rely a lot on the pictures as they, contrary to what many say, do provide great information about the kind of person that will be renting my place, I am not talking about race, religion, etc, I am talking about good plans people vs shady plans people and that you can certainly tell from a picture when they have guns, knifes, Marihuana and nazi tatoos, just as an example, that just gives you a small hint that they may not be that right people to bring to your place next to your Mom and kids, it is commmon sense and I do believe they are our properties and we should still have the right and opportunity to gather as much information as possible before we let somone into our property. I believe that you Airbnb don't understand your hosts, you may understand the business, but not your hosts concerns for security, respect for our neighbours and concern for our families. My Mom lives in proximity to the homes I rent and the least I want is for her and our long time neighbors to have to deal with drunk guys throwing crazy parties with drugs,  loud music and young girls, which happened to me in the beginging, so I speak from facts, but over time I learned to read the pictures and this helped me stay out of the party gangs that use Airbnb properties as huge party motels. You should add to your balance on this matter, along with discrimination topic, the potential risk for sexual tourism, drug parties and other related issues when you start taking out the control from hosts. Now with the new policy on pictures I feel very unsafe about who I am renting to, again is not discrimination and I welcome anyone of any race, any religion, any skin color, I have very good and lovely friends of all of them, but a picture can give you clues of the intent of the people going, their current set mood for partying and rocking, etc...   I use Airbnb in a way that is uncommon and I hope Airbnb reads this and appreciates it. My rental homes  have become very popular and I get people calling me directly as referrals and asking to book directly on a daily basis literally and I tell them all to go to Airbnb and book from the profile page, I am missing out on a lot of money by sending them through Airbnb and I am ok with it because of one single reason, peace of mind. I felt that going through Airbnb I had a pre-screening of the people that would share my place and be next to my Family and Neighbors, but after reading some of the comments on how easy is to fake an Airbnb profile, I am starting to doubt if Airbnb does provide that peace of mind that I have always balieved from this concept of screened community. I hope the picture gets back, meanwhile I will just cancel all bookings that don't have 5 star reviews that I can rely on. Instant booking is very risky as some have mentioned, and it's easy to se why Airbnb promotes it so much, it's about money it's just sad to see that a fantastic platform like Airbnb is following the steps of Uber and many others that have shined and been awesome services, then have sold their vision for money. On the discrimination topic I have felt discrimination in the past and I much rather have the option to not go to a place that I will feel discriminated than not telling me unitl I show up there, this is also wrong common sense from Airbnb. Airbnb as a platform should provide as much detail as possible for both the home being rented as for the guests that will be renting the home and let both parties make the match based on several factors, I don't like hosting my house in a blind date site and that's what it looks like now. 

Mandy3
Level 6
Falkland, Canada

Jan 16th, I received an email from Megha, with Airbnb Customer Support, in which she writes

"you are in contact with the right person to help you with this issue and also promise to make this quick and simple.I am definitely going to help you with the concern.  I completely understand your concern. You should definitely be able to see the pictures of the guest before accepting their reservation request. Please feel free to cancel their reservation."

Since then, I have tried so many times to get back to her, find her, find anyone at airbnb that will back this.  Not one.  Nadda.  Nit. 

I'm shocked that we have been complaining about this for 3 months now, to no avail.  On the 18th of January a savvy host figured out how to see the photos of potential guests - in less than 9 days airbnb squashed that bug.  

I really do get it that people can be prejudice, and turn folks away for not so great reasons.  I also understand that airbnb is no longer about inflating an air bed in your living room for travellers passing through your town.  

Here's my idea - float it if you agree.  Let airbnb hosts see the potential guests profile photo - IF THEY HOST IN THE HOME THEY LIVE IN.  Shared bath would be a good line to draw.  If not, don't let them.  I see it as a security risk to agree to have a stranger whom I have never seen, stay in my home and share my bathroom. 

This will leave probably 90% of the listings open to no photo until booked - all those who have extra homes which they rent out by the night.  

For me, I'm inspired to create something similar to this app, but for real folks in real homes with real guest rooms or literally inflated air beds in their living rooms.  Who's in?  Let me know, or stay tuned, while I figure out how to do this.  Or, maybe, someone at airbnb will see that there is a reason to support the original business model, now that the big bucks are flying in.  Retro Air?  Original Beds? Old School Guest Rooms?  I'm sure there is a committee of milleniums in the gym room in Silicone Valley that could brainstorm about this on an Evernote Space.......