GUEST SHOWED UP AFTER CANCELING RESERVATION

GUEST SHOWED UP AFTER CANCELING RESERVATION

I am 30 days new to Airbnb so everything is still fresh and fun to me lol.  So I just had a weird situation today.  I had a four day guest reservation starting today.  Messaged the guest @ 2:30pm (30 min prior to allowed check-in time) with passcode to door and the guest replied with a thank you.  The guest stated in the reservation that they would be arriving between 5 - 7pm.  I get an alert from Airbnb at 4:50pm that the GUEST has cancelled the reservation.  No reason was given.  At 5:44pm I get a call from my brother (who is aware that I am expecting guest and not aware of the cancellation) telling me that there are some guys walking around the property. . .I'm like wth??  He said he thinks that they might be the guests I am waiting for. . . then my phone lost connection and dropped the call before I could tell him that the reservation was cancelled and no one should be there. . . omg omg.....so now I'm like super weirded out right. . .and furiously messaging Airbnb to see if they have any idea whats going on!  I call my brother back 9 minutes later when I get a good signal and he happily tells me that it is my guests and they are in the apartment!  So now I'm telling him the situation with the cancellation and he tells me the guys asked him if he was the owner and he told them no, that he is the brother.  So my brother did make eye contact and conversation with these guys.  Then he tells me that they just left.  Thats it.  Thats all.  They still came (an hour after they cancelled the reservation), let themselves into the apartment using the provided pass-code, looked around the apartment, and left.  Didn't bring in any luggage and didn't take anything.  Due to my cancellation policy they don't receive a refund.  I'm still a little weired out though.  Like, who cancels a reservation before even seeing the place? Cancelled the reservation and is clearly in town (from Texas per Airbnb profile).  Cancelled the reservation - the day of the reservation thus forfeiting a FOUR DAY stay payment.  So weird.  I immediately changed the door codes.

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Super strange. Sounds like they were casing the place. I can't think of why else anyone would do that. Sometimes people do cancel before seeing the place because someone offered them a free place to stay or something, but they don't show up after cancelling and let themselves in. You really should report this to airbnb.

Thats how I felt! Like they might  have been casing my place! I did report the situation to Airbnb immediately!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Report to Airbnb, in case they claim they did indeed come and then ~based on what they saw~ is the reason why they cancelled (and why now filing for a refund which may follow).

Oh I most certainly did!
Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

I'd flag them.

So very strange!  If you dont already have exterior cameras,  I would definitely recommend getting them!

I do not have exterior cameras.  I will definitly be adding some ASAP!!  

So very strange indeed!

How do I flag someone?  Will that reflect negatively on me?

@Nikki137  Go to the guest's profile photo that appears to the left of your message stream with them, or in your reservations (it will still be there even though he cancelled) and there is a flag next to it that says "Report this user". The guest can't see who flagged them, no detriment to you.