Game changer: What is one small thing you added to your space that paid off big?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Game changer: What is one small thing you added to your space that paid off big?

Oh my goodness! I just got the most AMAZING undermount light for the area above my range. My old one had a decorative rim broken by a guest trying to change a light bulb (? why do people do things like this.) I got a replacement bulb and it just blew out. Seems the type of halogen bulb that was used in this Ikea special is no longer made. So I ordered something on Amazon with good reviews, not knowing what to expect. 

This thing is THE BOMB. So bright and looks great. The light can be angled. Its LED so it will last forever. For $35 now I can see really well as I disinfect my dark counters (the thing about dark counters is I never really can tell if they are clean. When we replace them I have to do a lighter color for my own OCD sanity.)

What is one little thing that really made a difference for you in your listing? 

43 Replies 43

I could have used those while stationed in Korea. How cool.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

We recently added a fire pit to our listing.  My husband had always considered this a huge liability and refused to put one at the property.  About two weeks ago a guest ask if one was available.  My husband said YES, we can add a fire pit.  I ordered one and had it set up about 24 hours before that group arrived.  The guests loved it and wrote a glowing review.  We have since ordered telescoping, stainless steel forks for roasting marshmallows and will be providing S'Mores fixings for future guests. 

@Linda-And-Richard0  ugh, we have a fire pit and wood-burning fireplace and I have to say I agree with your husband 🙂 Guests love them though. We don't love the calls we get from guests when they don't use them appropriately and we have to go put out fires (literally.) I will say an outdoor firepit, especially a portable one is less of a hassle. We have a built-in one and its not nearly as much trouble as the indoor fireplace, but its still trouble. 

Ironically we bought the property because we were so excited about both, among other things. 

“an outdoor firepit, especially a portable one is less of a hassle”.

@Laura2592 Not in some regards. We had to take ours away because guests would move it about even though we stipulate they not do that. It was placed to reduce the wildfire risk. The hazard just became too great. As much as I’d love to, I don't think we will install a permanent one either😕 

@Colleen253 I didn't even think of that! Yes, guests like to move all kinds of furnishings-- why not a fire pit??! Wow. Point taken.  I was just thinking it would be easier to clean up. 

@Linda-And-Richard0 Fires and guests? We have total fire ban days where nothing can be lit outside except fully enclosed BBQs, nor can we use tools which could spark. Imagine explaining that to a guest set on lighting the fire pit! We also don't leave any candles in the flat. 

Hi @Marg11 - I understand your concerns.  Our listing is in the heart of the city and we live right  next door so we keep a close eye on the property.  The fire pit we purchased came with a fire screen.  We placed it on a ring of flagstone.  The garden hose is about 10 feet from the pit.  We supply enough fire wood for one use.  Surrounding chairs are metal.flaming fir pit.jpg

@Linda-And-Richard0 

Looks cosy for cool evenings with marshmallows. Recently we were camping in the goldfields at Leonora and Yalgoo doing a bit of metal detecting and family research. Both parks we stayed at had huge cauldron fire pits so we enjoyed several evenings chatting with other travellers. The smoke certainly kept the mosquitoes away.

Guests kept moving our firepit, too, to shake-your-head places like directly under the treehouse, into the field, and onto the path. It's part of the new All Locals All The Time phenomenon. Not every one, of course, but enough so that this fall we took away the tripod grill stand and twisted into the ground a heavy piece of corrugated iron onto which they can put the grill. At least now it will be a great deal of work to move it. 

They do love it. It's part of the whole camping thing. I could never take away their campfire.

The one small thing that changed everything here, @Laura2592 , was installing a solar light over the bed. No electricity in the treehouse, and guests went through batteries at an earth-unfriendly rate. No more batteries! 

@Lawrene0 , if you have days when solar light doesn't work, look at a gravity light. Very smart.

Thanks, @Sandra126 ! I will look into that. So far solar is working fine, but good to know there is an alternative!

We have hung solar lights in the front courtyard. As well as looking great they add an element of safety by lighting the side gate and the steps down to the garage.

Do you build the costs of supplies for the fire pit into your room cost?

Yes, @Rajan2 , I do. It's easy here, because my husband and son are carpenters. They save their offcuts for me, which I cut to size for the treehouse woodstove. There is quite a bit of maintenance involved with our trail as well, so all downed/dead branches get cut up for the outside firepit. It's really just my time cutting, stacking, and carrying that needs to be worked into the nightly rate. The wood itself would have been discarded anyway.

Most guests are frugal with the wood. Some are keen on a conflagration. It all works out in the end.

Neil408
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

For me a game changer to my listings was adding a full length mirror in the room (a frequent request) adding blinds and a memory foam mattress, also upgrading the very old 4 ring gas hob in the kitchen to a ultramodern 5 ring Hotpoint with more efficient burners and more powerful burners (great for cooking rice, pasta, stir frys etc) Now the guests can sleep somewhere really comfy and cosy and if they cook too they can do it with really modern equipment.