Game changer: What is one small thing you added to your space that paid off big?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Game changer: What is one small thing you added to your space that paid off big?

Oh my goodness! I just got the most AMAZING undermount light for the area above my range. My old one had a decorative rim broken by a guest trying to change a light bulb (? why do people do things like this.) I got a replacement bulb and it just blew out. Seems the type of halogen bulb that was used in this Ikea special is no longer made. So I ordered something on Amazon with good reviews, not knowing what to expect. 

This thing is THE BOMB. So bright and looks great. The light can be angled. Its LED so it will last forever. For $35 now I can see really well as I disinfect my dark counters (the thing about dark counters is I never really can tell if they are clean. When we replace them I have to do a lighter color for my own OCD sanity.)

What is one little thing that really made a difference for you in your listing? 

43 Replies 43

@Laura2592  Getting a dog.

In the past I'd always tried to keep an open mind to people with quite different interests, even if it seemed clear that they weren't going to be a good fit. But having a dog onsite forced me to discriminate in favor of relaxed people who love dogs. I approached it gingerly at first, just checking that people were ok with a dog being here, and promised she'd stay out of their room. But eventually I found that everyone found the dog to be the standout highlight of their trip, so she got promoted to Co-Host. Actually, I got demoted; she's taken over a few of the hosting roles and added a few that are a bit inappropriate for me (cuddles cost extra). 

@Anonymous  I get many more comments from guests on how much they'll miss my dog when they are checking out than that they'll miss me 😀.

My dog has this really bizarre and endearing behavior in that when she's excited to see someone, she bends down and grabs a dry leaf in her mouth and greets you with it. She won't give it to you, it's not a gift, it's either something to contain her excitement or her way of showing you what a good hunter she is- "Look at this leaf I caught while you out". (I'm not a dog whisperer, so I really don't know her motivation).

In any case, it seems to enchant guests to be greeted by this leaf-bearing ritual every time they walk in the gate (and she has this sucky whine that accompanies it), once she realizes they are welcome here (she barks her head off the first time they arrive).

@Anonymous @Sarah977 , haha, same! My dog is always the highlight. Some guests will actually lie on the floor cuddling my dog within minutes of arriving. She LOVES people so much, she makes everyone feel like they are the most special person in the world. So much love to give. Dogs could teach us all a thing or two!

@Laura2592I need something like this! Can you share the details?

@Kath9 this is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SKF8WQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

It has two colors-- a brighter white and a warmer white. Its great for cleaning and visibility as our kitchen can be a little darkish. We have really deep window wells due to stone walls and a wooded lot so sometimes when cleaning in the evening its hard to see. Not anymore!

What breed did you get?

@Anonymous so now you have to post a pic!

Our dog is a rescue who has two dislocated hips due to a car accident (or shudder to think, abuse) where his pelvis was broken and healed wonkily without vet treatment. We have had him for a few years now ad he's gone from biting people who try to come into the house to a complete love. He's on some heavy pain meds so that is probably part of his personality change! (Better living through chemistry, even for dogs.) He walks with a limp but gets around great. Sadly his condition is so poor that no vet will operate on him as the cure is worse than the disease. He's still a young dog, but we know he won't be mobile forever so we just enjoy the time we have. He LOVES going to our cottage but we have not had him meet any guests. I am sure if they had a treat, he would be happy to make their acquaintance. 

Our pup is the reason we are pet friendly and don't fuss with a deposit. We give him meds twice a day and its hard to find a kennel or friend who is careful about that. He also has a couple of orthapedic beds. If he sleeps on the floor he really has a hard time walking in the morning. Most kennels don't let you bring your own bedding. We are so grateful when we have a place we can travel with him we wanted to pay it forward to others. 

@Anonymous 

We miss our old, deaf, arthritic and blind dog but our returning guests miss him too and want to know if we will adopt another. He says "no" but ...........

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

My cats are absolutely the highlight of the listing for the majority of my guests. Three of the four post-lockdown guests I've hosted were NUTS about cats and the forth liked them but wasn't as cat crazy as the rest. Merlot was a stray whom the vet described as '100% feral', but he has become the friendliest kitty. He always comes over to greet new guests when they arrive and let them know that he expects a LOT of love.

@Laura2592 

On the subject of items (rather than fur babies), the thing that has made the biggest impact on the guests (even if they don't realise it) is the extra thick mattress topper I bought for each bed. They are 10cm/4 inches deep, which is the thickest I could find. Ever since, guests have raved about how comfortable the beds are. The toppers are also really cost effective compared to any mattress that would be that comfy on its own. They are from a company called Groundlevel, but I got them discounted with a voucher deal.

In terms of what has made a big difference to me as a host, that would be my robot vacuum cleaner. It doesn't replace regular vacuuming, especially as it doesn't do stairs, which I have a lot of, but I use it daily on the ground floor which has oak parquet. Having been extended, that is the largest floor of the house and also gets the most traffic with people and three cats bringing in dust and leaves from the road or garden, not to mention all that fur! It used to be such a chore trying to keep that floor clean. Now, the cleaners vacuum and mop once a week and the robot vac takes care of it the rest of the time. Mine is a brand called Eufy, also bought at a discount (from Amazon).

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Note: I occasionally stay in my own listings, so some of these are personal observations, as well as comments from guests.

1) Chair pads for my upholstered chairs.  Not the ones that tie to the back of the chair, but ones neatly stick to the seat. Purchased after enduring the first permanent, sunscreen-produced stain, these pads have saved my chairs.

2) Wooden knife holder with knives and scissors included.  I never realized how useful scissors can be in the kitchen.

3) Multipurpose Oxiclean. Use it for laundry, upholstery stains, tile grout. Magical.

4) Full-length mirrors in the bedrooms.

5) Glass or polyurethane furniture toppers. Tops for dining table, console, end tables, dressers, nightstands still look brand-new after dozens of guests.

I could go on and on, but these are the first “finds” that popped into my head.

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

@Pat271 

We lived in our flat when our house was painted and floors resealed resulting in small changes but the main big change was a new fridge as I couldn't safely operate the microwave on top of the old fridge.

We had an electric frypan and glass convection oven but added a small oven with an element. When its door broke we bought an improved small oven and induction cooktop. Many guests have not used an induction cooktop either but learn from the manual or we teach them.

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

@Pat271 Yes, scissors are very useful in knife holders. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Cabinet and drawer labels. Chaos reduction 98%.

Maybe not game changer level....... but definitely paid off~ 

Edison Training Chopsticks 😁  

캡처.JPG

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I had never seen those before! So cool.