Gave a guest a full refund, they are still hassling me to and hinting at leaving a bad review.

Paul5939
Level 1
Melbourne, Australia

Gave a guest a full refund, they are still hassling me to and hinting at leaving a bad review.

Hi there,

I had a guest stay and unfortunately there was a small stain on the duvet cover. The guest didn't say anything about this until checking out.

After checking out, the guest requested a full refund. I agreed to refund in full, and arranged for this through Airbnb.

I would now consider this matter resolved, as the guest didn't give me a chance to resolve it during the stay.

However, the guest continues to message me, asking me if I'm going to replace the duvet cover, and requesting proof that I have done so.

Is this inappropriate? I don't want to jeopardise my superhost status, as this is still within the review period (they haven't left a review yet).

Thank you

10 Replies 10
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

That's crazy! You can wash a duvet cover 100 times & there may still be a small residual stain. Who cares? - Doesn't make it insanitary. I'm sure all my duvet covers have small stains if you scrutinise hard enough.... Some have faded areas where I've scrubbed a stain out.

I suppose it depends on your market/pricing..... I'm bottom end, cheaper than hostel prices, so I can't afford to replace linens for small stains ... But they're clean & I add disinfectant to every wash so any stains are sanitary! Top end, high price? ... Maybe then you expect no stains...?

- BUT your guest is practicing EXTORTION; Threats of bad review if....... - goes against Airbnb extortion policy. Your guest should have inspected the linen on arrival & asked you to change it if not up to his/her standards. How do you know the guest didn't CAUSE the stain? I think you were wrong to give a full refund.... just encourages scammers. (It's well known on airbnb you can get a free trip by complaining about something extremely trivial.) 

I looked at your listings - nice enough, good reviews. But ORDINARY residential accommodation, (nothing wrong with that) - NOT HOTELS! So guests should expect the kind of linen they'd get staying with a friend or relative.... - Not hotel standard linen!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

"....the guest continues to message me, asking me if I'm going to replace the duvet cover, and requesting proof that I have done so..."

Whaaaat? 😄 Jesus!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Paul5939 I hope you plan on giving this guest a less than favorable review!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Why did you give a full refund?  @Paul5939 ,  the guest used the space and did not report to a problem to you which are the required steps for the resolution of a claim..  A refund will often not ward off a negative review. Better to simply apologize for the oversight and when it shows up on the review, acknowledge and report the solution. Apparently you are the co-host and the owner, Amanda has over 100 reviews, so the SH status is really not in jeopardy.

As to the stain, I see that the covers are dark blue.  One problem with saturated colors on linens is that your cleaning can often cause more problems.  I use a white inexpensive white duvet cover which can use bleach if necessary.  I see that there is a cat pictured on the bed linens, so it might be a good idea to shut the door of the bedroom after the room is cleaned to keep the kitty from ruining your good work.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

It hurts paying for a bad review.

Don't be a pushover. It only invites some people to continue to push more.

Airbnb has a policy. Hosts must be given the opportunity to fix a complaint. 

This should be our guiding light.

@Paul5939 

I see you are a new host. Don't let this bad experience you deter you from hosting. 

All hosts have gone through this same experience. We get tougher. No refunds. 

I prefer to raise my rates to assauge the hurt from mean guests 🙂

You have a nice place. People need nice places to stay.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Paul5939Yes, a full refund for a stain on a duvet cover is ridiculous. And as others have mentioned, per TOS a guest has to give you an opportunity to resolve an issue before due a refund and this didn't happen so if you hadn't given a refund, theoretically, Airbnb should have backed you up.

Continuing to harass you AFTER the refund is even more ridiculous and VERY inappropriate! I would either not respond at all, or, send something like, "A full refund has been issued. We consider this matter closed. Thank you." And then block this guest! They deserve no more explanation.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What on earth made you give the guest a complete refund because of a stain on duvet cover @Paul5939 ???

I would have just apologised and said if they had told me at the time I would have provided a replacement and perhaps some local biscuits as an apology.

Block the guest so they can't contact you further, report them to Airbnb and leave an honest review marking them down on communication.

Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

Hi @Paul5939 

This guest sadly took advantage of your good nature so put this one down as a learning experience.  I agree you should make no further comment, block the guest, send a report to Airbnb  and leave an honest review based on facts (rememeber the audience of your review and public responses is future hosts/guests, not this guest).  

Good luck with your continued hosting 🙂

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

This is where AIrbnb's guest-centric policies have led us, sadly. It will only get worse as Corporate has now promised to "verify 7 million listings" following the Orinda murders last month. The only way to do that is to enlist guest as "spies" who will report on hosts' listings and amenities. Along with the new "pay to play" verification process, where hosts will pay for Airbnb to inspect their properties so they can receive a 'trust' badge and show up in searches. 

It's nuts.