Georgia Sales Tax

John720
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Georgia Sales Tax

Can anyone tell me how the sales tax on my airbnb rental gets paid.  I'm hoping that airbnb handles the payment of Sales Tax.  I know I'm responsible for any local taxes but does that include sales tax?

Thanks,

John

29 Replies 29
Sabrina507
Level 1
Blairsville, GA

Hi John.   Did you find any answers?   I Airbnb in Blairsville and am wondering the same as we are not a state listed on the tax remittance list.

We are also wondering this. Has anyone any information since the original post?

Haleigh & Brandon

In the State of Georgia you are responsible for collecting state and local taxes from your guests and then submitting it to the correct agency.  For example I charge 7% sales tax and 8% for my City tax and then at the end of the month I figure out the amount I owe both state and local.  When I first began on Airbnb I neglected to collect the tax and had to literally eat the cost for 2 months worth of bookings.

I just this month started doing Airbnb. There is no city tax in my city,. Which is the proper agency to remit Georgia state taxes to? I am in Evans County. 

Wow is a 15% tax been the norm for you since adding to your bookings and still receive bookings or has there been a fall off?

Mary-and-William0
Level 2
Powder Springs, GA

I recently received notice that Airbnb would collect state taxes. I would like to know whether the taxes collected would be included in the calculation of fees charged to the host?

We are not affected by the occupancy taxes since we have less than 5 rental rooms  in one unit.

AirBnB does not collect tax for Georgia.

I logged on to airbnb through an incognito window.  I entered a reservation request for my own property and noticed that Airbnb charged a $60 GA sales tax and Greene County tax ... NO Greene County Hotel tax.

I went back to a regular window and to my dashboard.  Clicked on "Listing" and then saw "Local Taxes and Law""

"Your listing is in Georgia State where Airbnb collects and remits occupancy taxes on your behalf."

I have no idea how long Airbnb has been collecting and paying my state and county sales taxes ... in ADDITION to the taxes that I have been paying!

@Marty25

Did you receive the email below? Sent to Hosts in Georgia on March 16, applicable from April 1

Susan17_0-1587906638450.png
Hi 
Great news! Airbnb will start collecting and remitting the following tax(es) administered by the below State for all reservations booked on or after April 1, 2020.
State Name:

• Georgia State
Tax(es) Name(s):

• Sales Tax
Guests will see a separate line item for the tax(es) when booking. Airbnb will collect and pay the tax(es) to the jurisdiction at the next filing due date.

Will my payouts be affected?No. The tax(es) will be charged to guests.

How do you know what tax(es) to apply to my listing?The tax(es) applied will be determined by the address you have entered for your listing. Please double check the details of your address in the Manage Your Space page to ensure you have entered a complete and accurate address for your listing. Airbnb will not be responsible for any tax collection errors due to a typo in the address.

How can I see the amount of tax collected on my behalf?The amount is displayed in the Gross Earnings tab of your Transaction History.

How will you be remitting tax on my behalf?We will be filing one tax return per jurisdiction with the total combined reservation revenue for all Airbnb bookings in the area. This means that all hosts will be represented by one payment amount, and we will not be providing your personal information on the return. We may provide your personal data only in cases where we receive a binding request by a competent authority pursuant to applicable law, including data protection laws, and our Privacy Policy.

I’ve been collecting the above tax(es). What do I do now?You’ll no longer need to collect this tax for transactions completed through the Airbnb platform from guests who book their reservation on or after April 1, 2020.

Are there other taxes that I need to collect?You are responsible for understanding and fulfilling all of your tax obligations. For a summary of the taxes collected by Airbnb for a listing, visit the Manage Your Space page and click Local Laws. If there are other applicable taxes that you need to collect from your guests, the process for collecting is outlined here. As always, you must be upfront about any such taxes with guests before booking.

Do I have any other tax reporting obligations?You may be responsible for other tax reporting obligations. Please contact your respective taxing authorities for more information on what these obligations are.

Do I have any other obligations related to my listing?You may be responsible for complying with local rules and regulations that apply to your listing. Please contact your respective local government agencies for more information on what these obligations are.
To learn more, please visit our Help Center or contact your local tax authority for more details.

Thanks,
The Airbnb team

OK - to be clear as of today, Airbnb is ONLY collecting regular sales and use tax (around 6-8% depending on county).   Airbnb is NOT collecting the local occupancy tax (3-8%).  You must still collect this (like we always have) and remit it to your city or county.  

Marty,  I am in Morgan.  It just recently started.    You are correct.... they Airbnb still does not collect the local occupancy tax.  Georgia listings still need to collect this manually like before and pay it to the city or county where you are located.  

Ellen227
Level 1
Dahlonega, GA

I did not receive that information. Are you in Georgia?  

Michelle581
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Under Listings there is now an option to specify Tax.  For my listing, currently there isn't any local tax.  They will collect the taxes on the nightly rates and fees for the new bookings and break them out in your payout report.  

@Michelle581 wrote:

Under Listings there is now an option to specify Tax.  For my listing, currently there isn't any local tax.  They will collect the taxes on the nightly rates and fees for the new bookings and break them out in your payout report.  

Michelle - I can't find this option.  If I open my listing, I have sub tabs for Listing Details, Booking Settings, Pricing, Availability, and local taxes and laws.     I can not find an option to specify tax under any of these sections.  Can you clarify?