Getting Bombarded with Scam Inquiries

in
Urbana, IL
Level 10

This just started in the past few weeks.  I'm getting one or more scam inquiries every day.  They're from new users, and often in another language.  Here's an example:

"Hey. I will help you make money using the site. all the details on my telegram channel @rent_haus This request can be rejected. All questions can be asked in telegrams, in this chat we do not answer."

I'm sure my response rate is doing amazing as I just type "no" to stop the 24 hour countdown clock, then report the user.  This is getting really annoying though.  Airbnb appears to be removing the scam accounts as the conversation tends to disappear from my inbox after a couple days of me reporting it.

Is anyone else seeing this?

51 Replies

Re: Getting Bombarded with Scam Inquiries

in
Somerville, MA
Level 10

@Christopher187 I am not [thank goodness.] No, as a response is sufficient. Your response rate should not take a hit.

in
Seattle, WA
Level 10

Sigh,

I remember the past wonderful years when Airbnb was new and in the sweet spot.

Unlike Craigslist, Airbnb had few scams.

Unfortunately, as Airbnb gets more popular, we will be targeted more 😞

in
Bolzano, Italy
Level 2

I got the same just now! That's annoying and frightening. 

Level 2

We just got it...it goes to some site in Russian, but incompatible, can't be opened...Only it is not lea how they got through with @

in
Brûlain, France
Level 2

Bonjour, je viens de recevoir exactement la même demande, j ai contacté Airbnb !! Mais rien d inquiétant pour Airbnb! Je peux accepter la demande!,j ai bien sûr refusée, mais c est flippant de recevoir des messages sans vérification de la part de Airbnb ! C est la porte ouverte à beaucoup de choses malsaine et non sécurisant pour l hôte!!

in
Rouen, FR
Level 1

Airbnb ne vérifie pas les comptes d'utilisateur ? 😳😳😳😳

Ça ne motive pas à accepter des voyageurs, encore moins chez moi dans mon cas... 

in
Mem Martins, PT
Level 1

Yep, just got it

in
Timișoara, RO
Level 1

Yup, just got one now? Can't I just accept the request? I am sure they will not book it 😛

in
Manchester, United Kingdom
Level 10

Yes I've had one worded exactly like this, except giving a (presumably fake) website in Russia. I've also had messages written in Russian that (according to Google translate) invite me to contact them outside of Airbnb, another one telling me I have been given a 'reward for my loyalty' of £250 if I will only send my credit card details to a Russian website!, and I've also just had a completely blank one from a Russian profile. I've reported them all but it is annoying. I would advise anyone receiving one NOT to click through any links - they are designed to get hold of your information to scam you out of money and even an acknowledgement that they've made contact with a real person just encourages them. 

in
Southampton, GB
Level 1

Southampton UK, 24 Jan 17:27hrs - message in Russian from an account listed as Helena

in
Rouen, FR
Level 1

Hello

I also have a similar situation. 

What should I do? Because if I don't answer in 24h, my rate of responses will reduce... I already warn airbnb.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

in
СПБ, Russia
Level 10

@I-Sam2 

Answer with a simple single full stop.

in
Troms, Norway
Level 10

@Christopher187   I received a Russian one the other day.  I sent a special offer they could not resist and reported the profile.  The profile were taken down shortly thereafter and I got a warning message from airbnb that I had been in contact with a profile that did not meet their guidelines.

in
TZ
Level 2

I have just got one listed as Melania. I pre-approval and after few minutes I get warning from Airbnb.  I didn't know that was a scam. I just want to maintain my response rate. 

Thanks Airbnb team. Good job.