Getting any bookings for May 1 onward?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Getting any bookings for May 1 onward?

Anyone getting any bookings for May 1 onward? In particular if you're in a summer vacation hot spot?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm even gonna stay in business this summer. I'm near the beach. Last summer every single weekend was booked no problem.

35 Replies 35
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

For us is forbidden to accept new bookings until May 13.

Pete 90 percent of our guests are cruise ship people. We are half mile from pier 91. Canada will not let a ship in there waters till July 1st as of now. So we are now jumping ship!!! LOL

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Forbes has an article "What will travel be live after the coronavirus".

58% of Americans are planning to travel between May and September 2020, as long as their destinations aren't in quarantine. But a quarter of participants will try to avoid big cities and public transportation, and 21% will choose domestic travel.

I'm guessing that if "the curve" looks better, then even more will get out and travel.

@Pete69 

I honestly and personally think the need for social distancing and limiting nonessential travel will continue more or less at least till end of this year, or until a vaccine is developed. Imo, when people become complacent thinking "the curve" looks better and start going out again, it could easily lead to more spreading of the virus and there will be a surge in the # of confirmed cases again which will lead to another round of lock downs or shelter-in-place/stay-at-home orders. If people from affected areas travel to areas that are not affected and aren't in quarantine, there is high risk of a traveler bringing the virus into your community - I would like to think this is something people want to avoid. 

https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-travel-questions-advice.html

https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-04-03/south-korea-flattened-curve-now-what

Most Koreans have given up on the idea of a vacation or any sort of nonessential domestic travel for most of this year since a vacation or weekend getaway is NOT essential travel. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Australia just announced that until there's a vaccine,  restrictions will be in place. So no bookings here.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

It's tough to stay on lockdown. Some people will get antsy. I think they'll choose outdoor locations like national parks, beaches, etc as travel destinations. Extremely hot locations like Las Vegas and Palm Springs might be hot spots just because viruses don't survive well in really hot temperatures.

@Pete69  "Tough" and "antsy" are a better alternative to dead. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What evidence from a credible source (i.e. WHO/John Hopkins) have you seen that demonstrates the virus doesn't survive well during very hot weather @Pete69 ????

It would seem idiotic that people would be planning to travel from next month in your country particularly as you haven't even hit the peak in terms of numbers affected. As they say in Yorkshire 'there's nowt as queer as folk' 🙂

It's just a fact that hot weather kills viruses. Name a country that has 90 - 100 degree weather right now.

I don't care if people are idiotic. I just care that they are traveling.

Unfortunately, it will take much more time for the people to feel confident about traveling again.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Pete69at this point no data supports your assertion about temperature. This virus is killing plenty of people in hot climates.

What parts of the world have 90 - 100 degree temperatures and the virus is thriving????

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Re temperature,  apparently the virus gets more contagious for every degree cooler. Same virus,  still there,  just easier to get when cool.

@Sandra126 what is your source for this assertion?