How do you get bedding laundry done between stays?

Answered!

How do you get bedding laundry done between stays?

I have a 5 bedroom / 2 bath log cabin that I have been hosting that can host up to 16 guests. Check out time is between 11am and check in time is at 3pm. We barely get the place cleaned and our struggling with getting the bed linens, towels and wash cloths washed and dried when bookings are back to back.

We bought a high capacity washer and dryer, but still end up taking home most of the bed linens. I really do not want to take anything home. 

How do the rest of you manage this issue? I thought to move the check in time to 4pm, but that seems so late.

Any advice?

1 Best Answer

First - being facetious but - you have a huge home, multiple bedrooms and you allow for one night visits? (are you nuts?)

Seriously though, I agree with everyone else. I looked at your listing and you have too much to do in four hours. I rent out a 9-room apartment (including three bedrooms) and it takes 4 hours to get it all done even with a routine. We have a large capacity washer and dryer on the premises.

In the beginning we washed all the linens and towels and ironed the pillow cases so they were fresh pristine.  It took so much so that I no longer allow one-night stays (those guests are always the messiest I discovered - mostly because they don't have the time to clean up after themselves, apparently).

I asked a neighbor how she cleans when she has overnight guests. Note - her space is only two rooms plus an efficiency kitchen.  Still, she has three sets of linens. When her guests check out she cleans the apartment and replaces the linens with set two. Then when the second guest checks out she cleans and replaces the linens for the next guest with set 3.  Then she takes sets 1 and 2 to a laundry mat where the laundry can all be done at one time and repeats.

I'm now adopting that strategy. When we have a quick turn-over we bag the laundry and take it home, use duplicate linens and mattress covers to get the beds ready for the next guests.

I recommend duvet covers or comforters and blankets that are easy to clean and resist stains (oh the grease stains).

We have the most problems with staining (almost always some type of oil stain) but otherwise we haven't had issues.

The guests have all been good about washing dishes and silverware and putting it away. We tell them they can run the dishwasher if they run out of time and we'll put the items away. But we still we clean every surface and vaccuum the floors and rugs thoroughly. Cleaning the bathrooms and changing the beds takes the most time so think like a hotel.

Duplicate sets of bedding, linens and towels will save you time in the long run.

Your place looks fabulous, by the way!

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

In your place I would have double all linens and clean them off-site-- but you've said you don't want to do that. Our check-in time is 4pm.  Haven't had any complaints about that. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I can take a total of 10 guests, my checkout is 10, checkin from 4-9. You need more time or a day between bookings or more linens

Unfortunately there is no laundry fairy, though I am ever hopeful

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Allen92 I have multiple sets of linen and I pay someone to do the laundry. When it's a property this size it's a small business and you have to treat it as such and pay for some things to be done.

@Allen92

I only have a single occupancy guest room and tend to host long(er) term guests. Regardless of lengh of stay I would not think of trying to manage same day turnovers that include laundry of bedding and towels regardless of how good a washer/dryer I have. When it comes to bedding and towels....... having multiple extra sets so you are not dependent on them being laundered and ready the same day seems to be the popular (and safe!) way to manage.

Fyi, even with just the one single occupancy private room listing I have 2 sets each for summer, winter and in-between weather (total 6 sets) and a total of 6 bath and 10 hand towels for guest use (I usually leave out 2 bath and 3 hand towels per week).

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Two full sets of everything at a minimum. I also have a third set of everything in the "just in case" locker should I need them. All it takes is a major stain that needs two days of constant attending and even with doubles, you might be caught shorthanded.

What is everything? bed linens including duvets and covers, towels, dishes, silverware, bathroom cups, bathroom vanity tray. And I only have a suite of rooms in my house for one group at a time!

First - being facetious but - you have a huge home, multiple bedrooms and you allow for one night visits? (are you nuts?)

Seriously though, I agree with everyone else. I looked at your listing and you have too much to do in four hours. I rent out a 9-room apartment (including three bedrooms) and it takes 4 hours to get it all done even with a routine. We have a large capacity washer and dryer on the premises.

In the beginning we washed all the linens and towels and ironed the pillow cases so they were fresh pristine.  It took so much so that I no longer allow one-night stays (those guests are always the messiest I discovered - mostly because they don't have the time to clean up after themselves, apparently).

I asked a neighbor how she cleans when she has overnight guests. Note - her space is only two rooms plus an efficiency kitchen.  Still, she has three sets of linens. When her guests check out she cleans the apartment and replaces the linens with set two. Then when the second guest checks out she cleans and replaces the linens for the next guest with set 3.  Then she takes sets 1 and 2 to a laundry mat where the laundry can all be done at one time and repeats.

I'm now adopting that strategy. When we have a quick turn-over we bag the laundry and take it home, use duplicate linens and mattress covers to get the beds ready for the next guests.

I recommend duvet covers or comforters and blankets that are easy to clean and resist stains (oh the grease stains).

We have the most problems with staining (almost always some type of oil stain) but otherwise we haven't had issues.

The guests have all been good about washing dishes and silverware and putting it away. We tell them they can run the dishwasher if they run out of time and we'll put the items away. But we still we clean every surface and vaccuum the floors and rugs thoroughly. Cleaning the bathrooms and changing the beds takes the most time so think like a hotel.

Duplicate sets of bedding, linens and towels will save you time in the long run.

Your place looks fabulous, by the way!

Thanks for all the feedback! 

Rosalyn7
Level 2
Mossel Bay, ZA

Hi there, I read your request for assistance In the area of your struggle, I agree with all the posts and would like to add, I have placed a laminated one page of house rules, which includes no eating in the bedrooms, no smoking in the house and or building, also on my list I ask guests not to sit in beds with soiled and or wet swim suits, this helps tremendously. I do ensure packed away clean linens for those back to back bookings and since its self catering, guests with a nudge  do clean up after themselves. So just the changing of linens and cleaning floors, furniture needs doing, yes, time is still the essence, but do add to your list of house rules to leave the home as found. This one sentence has helped me tremendously.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

We have a 3bdrm, 2bath house and can't get our house clean for incoming guests the same day that guests check out.  Even with two of us, it take 4 to 6 hours to clean, and we bring all the bed linens home to wash.  We have 3 sets of sheets and duvet covers for each bed, so we rotate the sheets and leave plastic tubs for strorage in each closet.  We want the extra time to resolve any breakage, or maintenance, or having to change the hot tub water - which has happened numerous times, when people don't follow our rules in order to keep the water clean and we have to change it before the scheduled change.  It takes many hours to change hot tub water and get it treated.   I'm sorry I have no help for you, but we did try to wash all the linens at the house while we were cleaning, and always ended up hanging out at the house waiting for the laundry.  Good luck.

JayandWayne0
Level 2
Honolulu, HI

Prepare two sets of all things, change all the linens,sheets, towels, etc., clean the house, then start wash and dry the dirty items. 

Nadia163
Level 2
Roseville, MN

I block one day before and after each reservation. I have one full day to clean and prepare, no stress.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Allen92

16 + guests , 5 bedrooms ... and you clean and wash loundry by yourself ????? OMG...

We can host max 8 people in 3 bedrooms and 2,5 bathrooms. Just to clean the unit and prepare beds,  1 person needs more then 4 hours of hard labour 🙂

We have at least 4 sets for every guest and have 2 nights min. Once a week we collect 3 biggest Ikea bags full of loundry and take it to the loundry service. It is worth every penny, I love those girls and I don't know how could we make it without them 🙂 They are my heroes !

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I would pay for laundry service in it were me. Will deliver clean sheets and pick up the dirty ones. It's an added cost but you also have to factor in the cost of your time and stress of getting everything done by 3 p.m. I would also consider changing your check out time to 10 a.m. and your check in time at 4 to give you a couple extra hours

Spring34
Level 2
Richland, WA

Ok Allen, I’m new and curious about how you found a solution to the laundry problem. We just had our first guests of 12 I. Our place which can host 14- and they didn’t even use all the bed protection covers for the couches or sheets. It looked like they only used my plush blankets and that required me washing all my blankets/comforters. 7 loads tonight with my husband and I @ the laundromat. My house cleaner took 7.5 hours and beds still need a few sheets that we had to bleach from stains. 

I’m wondering what the #%^* did I just get myself into. I’m feeling like this has been sucking the life out of me...any advice?