Getting copies of IDs

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Getting copies of IDs

I have self check in with the door code. I try to greet guests in person whenever possible. I do however have mandatory in person check in with IDs for local one night reservations. Because of that, I have a requirement that the entire group comes at the same time. I can not spend my night going back-and-forth several times particularly since great majority of these are on Friday or Saturday night when I want to be with my own family or have my own evening plans. Multiple times guests have asked if they could send me a pictures of IDs of those who cannot be there at check in time. What are your thoughts on that? I could ask them to take a picture in front of something in my house I would recognize, so I know they are actually there. The main reason I have this rule in place is because party throwers usually send one person at check-in and then bring 50 at midnight. This way I’m making it inconvenient enough for them that they would move on to another property.  However, I am worried that at the same time I am making draconian rules for honest people.

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  I don't think honest people would have an issue with that- especially if you explain to them the reason you require this. It's a matter of how you state it, I should think. Just let them know that you've had problems in the past with what you describe, so now you just require this from all guests who you can't meet in person, no offense intended. Mentioning that it's necessary in order to comply with your STR insurance and local occupancy laws might help, as well.

@Sarah977 it’s the opposite. They’re the ones asking if they can send me the pictures of the IDs instead of me coming out and meeting them in person. I’m trying to decide if it will still give me the security I’m looking for.

@Inna22  I got it that this particular group was asking. I was referring more to you asking about them taking photos of them holding their IDs in your house. It seems to me that sending IDs before the booking is open to scamming, too. If they were the type of guests who are lying about their intentions, they could just send some false or stolen ID. If you didn't also check it at the door, or as you suggested, when they are actually in the house sending a photo, you'd never know if it was legit.

I know guests might consider it inconvenient, but it seems like they could co-ordinate all arriving at more or less the same time if that's what's required. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 I take up to 10 guests & I do get their IDs emailed ahead of time (if I feel dicey about the group). But the space is in my backyard so it’s easy to go bust up a party. 

the purpose of the ID is to know who to sue or who to sic the police on. And really you could meet all of them & check ID at 6pm and still have to go break up a rager at midnight. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I guess I should do something in between- perhaps at least half needs to be there in person at check in and rest can send the ID. This way I am making it difficult for those who want to throw a party as they need to assemble a team for my check in process but also not making it too difficult for those legitimately arriving at different times.