Gift from a Guest!

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

Gift from a Guest!

We recently received a lovely gift of Chinese art from a guest.

Our hosting experience so far has been a stream of great guests, leaving excellent reviews and five-star ratings, but this is our first gift. It was so unexpected that I wanted to share and wonder how common this is in the Airbnb hosting world? What is the best gift you have received?

32 Replies 32
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Two guests have left us presents in the last 6 months. One an excellent book of wildflowers, another a pair of mugs from Canada. They both brightened up our day.

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

It is amazing how little things especially unexpected pleasures can change our day.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Larry339 It's very much a Chinese 'thing', giving a present to your host..... I know this from my ethnically Chinese ex-husband & his family. Tho' most of my Chinese guests have not brought gifts (they were mainly students & UK residents.) The last Chinese visitors from China brought some Chinese spiced, dried meat - a bit like jerky.

I've received about 3 bunches of flowers, a little miniature bottle of a Czech liqueur, a walking map of our local area, & a kiwi shaped kitchen trivet from some NZ guests. I joked to another guest that the NZ guests did not give good star ratings. My guest joked "They wanted to give you a daily reminder of how dissatisfied they were!" 3 guests gave me £10 tips - 50% of my nightly rate. The dog has had more presents than me!

The best present was from my last guest, 3 nights ago, a classical pianist, who gave me 2 tickets to his concert. I was going to buy a ticket anyway, so I saved a bunch, & was able to invite a friend who would not have been able to afford her own. Wonderful!

@Helen350 I did not realize it was a 'Chinese thing' what a wonderful custom. You have been blessed with your gifts and it reflects well on your hosting! 

Kim87
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Chinese, japanese and Koreans guests gave us small gifts, it's a cultural thing.

I've had artists who were in town for a comicon leaving me drawings ❤️

One of my favorite gift was a hand crafted key holder. It's still sitting in the entrance room of the apartment we rent.

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

@Kim87 You have to love those cultural things, and your gifts sound lovely. I guess its time to set out the welcome matt to our Asian guests.

Eileen0
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

I'm sure when Airbnb first started, they recommended that guests bring their hosts a small gift from their home town. In those years, I received all sorts of little gifts - the foodie ones were most appreciated.  Airbnb seems to have stopped that now.  Of course I love getting gifts, but I don't want my guests to feel they need to bring me anything

@Eileen0 you are so right but if they want to its a wonderful gesture.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

That's interesting, we've hosted a lot of Asians--Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, as well as Asian Americans, and none of them ever brought a gift.  We have received gifts from Europeans, Indians and South Americans and New Zealanders.  When we started probably about 15% or so of our guests would bring a host gift, but we probably got maybe 1 gift last year, so it seems like it is tapering off as airbnb becomes more hotel lite. 

@Mark116 just when I thought I had it figured out more information makes it more interesting. You are so right id does not seem to be very widespread based on our experience and other host's comments.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I received a pretty beaded necklace with matching earrings from Chinese guests, and also a nice set of decorative chopsticks.    I've had nice notes left, and one time a set of sports-team-themed towels that guests didn't want to pack and take home. 

@Michelle53 it is interesting how the little things are so appreciated and remembered as hosts and in life.

Samantha557
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

I just received my first gift from my last guest. He left a $20 tip and a book he had written. I gave the $20 to my cleaner as he had scrubbed the apartment extra before this guest arrived because the previous guest was so messy. So thoughtful!

@Samantha557 Its the little thoughtful things that can change our mood for the day. It was very kind of you to give the $20 to your cleaner. I am sure it would be appreciated.