What do you think about giving Gifts to Guests?

Answered!

What do you think about giving Gifts to Guests?

Hello Fellow Hosts!

I was going back and forth with determining whether or not leaving guest treats in their room was considered an intrusion, innappropriate or invasion of trust and/or privacy for entering their room while they are gone?

Or, is it an expected, common practice when staying in a bed and breakfast? 

Thanks for in advance for replying. 

Warmest Regards, 
Jeannie and NeKo

1 Best Answer

That's thoughtful! But I personally would prefer the hosts not entering my room, especially without advance notice. Thus it could be better to communicate this when they check in, for example "I have left you some snacks in the room, if you agree, I would check on the supply every morning and replenish the snacks." Then they would have expected you to enter their room, and you would have the opportunity to leave them any thoughtful surprises!

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

We leave a basket of local products in their room before they arrive. When they leave we also give them a gecko key ring. We avoid entering a guests room during their stay except for our maid who cleans the room an makes beds. 

Thank you for the input!

do you know a website that sells cheap keyrings? I would like myself to give one to the guests when they leave 🙂

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Christopher157

Have a quick look on ebay

"100pcs Acrylic Plastic Blank Keyrings" for about £10.00

Chris

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Depends on the style of hosting. I had a place for a few years where I serviced the guest quarters daily and it was a perfect opportunity to add things, small treats each day. I loved this ''silent elf'' interaction, and they all knew it was a serviced place so it was not an intrusion.

It actually became quite interactive at times, when I would be left reciprocal treats for my cleaning time, or little games being played with guests who I only ever met the once, but in absentia every day. I enjoyed providing the service. My present place I only provide something on arrival, and sometimes not even that. Usually but nothing I advertise because then I have to deliver on a promise!

Thank you for the info!

I mention to my guests that I periodically empty the trash and check on towel supply. I do leave little treats.  Once I left a surprise birthday cake. Fun times hosting! Your hosting style is so thoughtful. 

Thank you for that! I had been going back and forth with a text I was going to send but didnt. I found that it wouldve taken away from the specialness by texting. I was afraid that 1, it be odd I disrupt their day, and two, that I make leaving them something a big deal. I wanted it to be a surprise for them all when they got home late after a full day of going to the theme parks.  The stress of not knowing the right thing to do is what inspired me to write the community. I ended up just leaving it in the room. So fingers crossed it was recieved well as my intension were good ones. I will however now take these suggestions and put together something in writing explaining my coming in when they are gone to clean up or turn down service or I dont know! I'll figure it out. 

But thank you for looking at the listing and I hope you were able to see my Instagram page which is where I have photos displayed of the gift that inspired this convo. 

https://www.instagram.com/jeanniedoes_airbnb_florida/

That's thoughtful! But I personally would prefer the hosts not entering my room, especially without advance notice. Thus it could be better to communicate this when they check in, for example "I have left you some snacks in the room, if you agree, I would check on the supply every morning and replenish the snacks." Then they would have expected you to enter their room, and you would have the opportunity to leave them any thoughtful surprises!

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will be applying them to my next guest. 

William230
Level 1
College Station, TX

First, we've been hosting for exactly one time. So, this is from a personal perspective and not an experienced one. 

Don't overthink it. The beauty and fun..and even the slight competitive side of hosting is personal service you provide your guests, your way. That's what sets your BnB apart from others...you. The things you do for your guests give your BnB the particular character and culture you want. 

Leave em gift. Don't leave em a gift. 

Turn down service. No turn down service. 

Put a mint on the pillow or don't. 

Leave a bowl of fruit in the room. Or don't. 

Fresh flowers. Vacuum and make the bed daily. Fresh towels perhaps? How about a basket of disposable toiletries for the use? A card when they depart? A follow up thank you note or email? 

All these things are touches of service I have encountered in my travels here and there. Some we've adopted in our BnB, taylored to our vision of charm and service. 

You should absolutely do the same! Experiment and have fun with it! Your guests are airbnb guests. They expect a level of different in every place they stay and appreciate it!

Good luck! And keep up the great hosting! 

@Jeannie-and-NeKo0

I'm a (relatively) new host, and I mention in my listing several times that I will enter the guest bedroom when the guest is not there to empty trash or vaccum floors or change bedsheets. I usually leave snacks in the common area for guests or a note on their door to check the fridge or next to the water dispenser for the snack I left them.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeannie-and-NeKo0 I tend to make sure there are some little treats in the room

before guests check-in.

I would never enter their room unless invited, so I state in my house manual if they want the bin to be emptied or larger items thrown away that they should leave them just outside the room and I will dispose of it.

If I have something special I want to leave for them, I leave it out in the living room with their breakfast, so it’s still a surprise but not a surprise in their personal space 🙂 

It’s all about managing expectations- so guests know if you’ll be servicing their room or replenishing treats etc they’ll not be overly surprised.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Liberte0  This isn't a free advertising site for your business. Please don't spam a discussion forum.