Girlfriend want to book a room for her boyfriend?

Audrey0
Level 1
Herriman, Utah, United States

Girlfriend want to book a room for her boyfriend?

A woman has written me asking about booking a room for her boyfriend for a month long stay. She is not verified and I know nothing about him. She also wants to have him come meet me before booking the room. How would you handle this? It seems a little weird to me. Thanks for your advice!

Audrey

5 Replies 5
Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Let her know it is not allowed and against Airbnb policy to do 3rd party bookings. Her boyfriend will need to set up his own account. And I highly recommend that you never allow people without booking, unverified and unknown to come to check out your home, it's not safe.

I totally agree with Linda. He should book himself and also dont let people come to see the room. He will try to get your address then look at to pay cash at a discount. 

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely not. Third party bookings are not allowed by Airbnb. No insurance, no host guarantee. Nada. Also, make sure he creates his own account and gets all verifications. Do not allow "viewings" as this make you vulnerable to burglary and theft, or worse. Refer this girl to the help section on airbnb about third party bookings.

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

HI Audrey

Im curious, how did she even contact you as potential guests should not be to send a message without having an account with Airbnb and their accounts must have verifications to have an account. Are you stable on your settings with requiring people to only contact you once their verficiations have been completed?  Make sure your entire profile is set up that way.  I require that ALL guests be verified with passport, drivers license, email and phone numbers so Airbnb can check it all out.

Second, this is so highly inppropriate that she is even asking you this.  Thats what us SuperHost call a "Red Flag". the other replies you are getting are dead on about what is allowed on the Airbnb platform. Its very important that you also read the Terms and Conditions of Airbnb for Host and for Guests.  I have quickly discovered that most Airbnb guests do not even read our home rules.  Before you book anyone, please write them back ON THE AIRBNB MESSAGE BOARD that they have truly read your Host rules and understand/agree to them. Great way to protect yourself as well.

If you have good enough photos for your place, then no one needs to come and view anything.  That's another red flag too.  Always side with caution and its great that you have reached out to the community. We are always here to help you. 

Make sure to write her back reminding her to read the Terms and Conditions of the Airbnb platform, but it sounds like they (didnt' read the rules) may not be the type of guest that you want staying there.  Just a thought. And Good luck.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

How about a mom booking for her adult son?  I got burned on this one...didn't know 3rd party bookings weren't allowed.  Mom and son (a cellar rat) had stayed with Airbnb last year, so I thought they were OK.  Turns out he was a total disaster as far as garbage and mess left in his room, and when I had to have the nice table refinished because of water marks and scrapes and sent her a pix and $300 charge, she had the gall to ask why I had nice furniture in his room!  I wrote her and her son a bad review, as well as for Chad from Airbnb who was supposed to get back to me and never did.  She also said I should have put in an insurance charge ahead of time and that she had checked with Airbnb and was told she had nothing more to do.  Very bad vibes on this.