Giving postcode before booking

Paola499
Level 2
Skibbereen, Ireland

Giving postcode before booking

I have received a message by a potential guest who would like to know my postcode before deciding to book.  I think the location given on the listing is already quite correct, give and take a mile,  and I would not feel very comfortable in giving the precise location. Any advice?

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just let them know that you aren't able to provide this information until there is a confirmed booking. But you could give them a local landmark, pub or restaurant within easy walking distance as a reference point.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Good idea @Helen3. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @ Paola

what if it’s a burglar?

stick to your rulescand gut feeling, the name of the town should be enough?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Paola499Surely the post code is large enough that it won't tell the guest anything too important about your location? They tend to be for a fairly large area.  However, if you're uncomfortable, I would decline or give them distance from a landmark. 

Dollars to donuts some well-intentioned person has told them "try to be in post code XXXXXX...it's posh!" or something equally silly. 

Thank you, I will give a landmark as in Ireland the postcode gives the exact location of the house - ( it's the same in the UK) 

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

I've just had the same enquiry from a 'potential' guest and I have politely advised them they can locate us via the village name to determine distance / travel time to us.

It's the first time I've been asked for our postcode. Whilst I can see pro's and con's for providing it, I find it somewhat unnerving. We're not a holiday complex and guest's do share our home with us!

I’ve had this a couple times. It seems they want to know exactly how far it is from X. So if they share, I google it for them. The most annoying thing is most of the info is in my listing. Usually it’s the a University or another big landmark, which I’ve included those details in my listing. 

Virl0
Level 2
Washington, DC

I’ve been asked many times about exact locations from several listings I worked with in DC. I always use the rule that has been put into place. I refer potential guests to the rules in place. Then give them a nearby landmark.

I have calculated the distance from the home to their unique place of interest from the home too. However, once they understand that I’m following set guidelines, they calm down and usually book.

Sinead31
Level 1
Port Elizabeth, ZA

we require the postcode in order to make payment - payment will not go through without a postcode - i have also just asked my host as i dont know which postcode to use? 

Rosie196
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Paola499 

I agree location should be

enough info to book accommodation. 

On the flip side of this conversion 

As a Host - I want to know Guest “location”  (Not ambiguous profile addresses eg “lives in England or lives in UK”) ;

I Host & live in UK but I am only 8miles from Wales (total lockdown area)

With many areas across UK in different lockdown ‘Rules or Tiers’.  

I believe it is now the right time for AirBB to provide Hosts with guests “location” - same as we have to do for our guests. 

I am now asking my guests for their “location”  before  booking - therefore the host/guest can remain Covid compliant. All guests have been more than happy to supply the info - after all we all want to beat this virus and cannot be encouraging/accepting guests from total lockdown areas!