Glasgow, Scotland Council Ban Short Stay Accommodation

Ex-AirBNB0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Glasgow, Scotland Council Ban Short Stay Accommodation

It appears that Glasgow city council have now issued ( without any announcement by themselves on their website or to the press ) that they have banned the ability for homeowners to host short stay lets in flats. They are now actively pursuing people who are letting their flats out and issuing enforcement orders.

Any feedback from others out there? 

17 Replies 17
Bonnie64
Level 4
Bountiful, UT

I got a cease and desist order from Glasgow city council with a must stop by end of September 2019. I was told my entire building was targeted and got a letter and email from them to tell me they are flushing Airbnb in Glasgow. If I did not stop they will be taking legal action against me too.

Only the letter telling me they are enforcing 2017 law; also told it would be a waste of time if I tried to appeal their decision. They have already made their minds up about short term lets in buildings that have a communal door and hallway.  That describes my place.

Tourism is going to wither and die in this city due to the council and a few loud complainers I think. Just a matter of time before the rest of the country will also be slapped down & tourists will go to countries that want them there.

Council is NOT friendly to those who use Airbnb to supplement their incomes.

Airbnb legal is aware of how Scotland does not want any form of Airbnb - Period! I doubt that anything is going to be changed for Airbnb as the country does NOT want short term renters. Another government over reach is all it is!

Alison281
Level 1
Balfron, United Kingdom

Has anyone been fined or even taken to court by the Council ?

We have just received a letter in Edinburgh along with another 3 x one bedroom flats in the stair. One resident had made a complaint. We’ve been sent a form and apparently you fill it in, they tell you you need to apply for change of use, then flatly refuse it. 
The resident has grievance with one of the owners in particular. Her own flat has leaked into ours, has rotten windows, trailing tv cables etc.

She won’t contribute to stair maintenance at all yet.

I am prepared to take this to court, and press.