Going above and beyond for guests

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Going above and beyond for guests

Airbnb keys.png

Good day everybody!

I've come a long way in my hosting journey since I officially started on September 1st. One thing that I've made a point of since I started is doing at least one nice "extra" thing for every guest who has stayed with us. It doesn't need to be anything big or cost any money, nescessarily, but I make sure I do something for everyone.

Some examples:

- Giving early check in or late check out at no cost when requested and if it's feasible;

- Leaving a card and small gift (usually chilled champagne) for guests celebrating an anniversary or recent wedding;

- Giving small gifts at Christmas (it was just chocolates or similar food treats);

- Cleaning off the guest's car when it snows during their stay;

- Letting a guest's dogs out so they could stay out later at a wedding;

- Putting a couple of cold beers in the fridge for guests who were getting in late.

Doing these kinds of things seems to have paid off for us: we've had excellent reviews so far and we got our Superhost in January.

What kinds of things have you done to go above and beyond for your guests, and do you feel it has paid off for you?

151 Replies 151
Jochem8
Level 2
Leiden, Netherlands

Put a nice marble or silver plate in the toilet or bedroom with all your bottles of perfume/eau-de-toilette/after-shave, that you don't use yourself anymore.  
Guests love to be spoiled, and it improves the look of your place as well.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316

All good stuff-for people visiting London for the first time, well in advance we send them details on how to buy a visitor and travel pass in advance, lists of the top 20 cheap eats, links to great offers for fine dining - so you can do things for your guest even before they arrive them make them feel special.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 Definitely good suggestions too. I usually send restaurant and winery recommendations before arrival.

This is such a wonderful suggestion. We’re relatively new to hosting so trying to find the balance of Southern Hospitality and hovering. My most recent inquiry was for an extended period of time and they’re traveling with their six month old. She asked if we had basic baby gear that is miserable to fly with (pack n play, high chair, beach chairs...). Well we don’t keep anything like this at the house, but parent to parent...I had to help a mama out and said I’d happily purchase the items and have them shipped to the house if they chose to book.

One question on this...any suggestions on nice gestures if you and your listing are in different cities?

My guests also appreciate beach gear and sand toys for kids. I keep them updated since they get a lot of use. 

I usually ask my cleaner if she minds doing some extra shopping for me. It’s helped a ton to build a good working relationship with my cleaners. Cleaners need to be paid well so they will want to stay with you. It really pays off! I have been a cleaner for other hosts for seven years and I still love it! I’m paid very fairly and that is a good incentive. I’m now hosting and being long distance has its challenges so if you have a co-host or a cleaner that you can pay to do small things like that, it helps a lot! I cleaned for a host who would ask me to pick up flowers when I did my personal grocery shopping on Mondays. It worked for both of us! 🙂 hope it helps some...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely topic @Alexandra316

I stayed in an Airbnb last year after I had just got married and stayed in an Airbnb. By complete coincidence, our hosts had also got married on the same day. They left us a bottle of fizz to congratulate us which was a really nice touch.

I know this isn't something you would expect your host to do for every guest, but I think if you know your guest is coming to stay for a special reason, like a birthday or an aniversary, it is sometimes nice to do something. Perhaps even a little note to say congratulations, I think this goes a long way to making their stay. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie 

You don't look old enough to be married but congratulations!

@Alexandra316 

I try to make every guest's stay as comfortable as possible, but also like to do the extra touches for guests where I can. I also leave cards when I know someone is celebrating a birthday or anniversary or at Christmas. Sometimes I leave thank you cards for lovely guests.

I just got back from a work trip in Switzerland so picked up some German language travel magazines for some German guests that are coming to stay soon. If I get a chance, I try to pick up magazines about things to do in London. I might send guests links about special events or exhibitions that are happening during their stay if I think they might be interested. 

I do also have a bookcase full of travel books as well as some books on British History and ome British literary classics for guest to browse in the bedroom, although I know most don't have time to look at them!

Wow @Huma0 that's really thoughtful, to actually provide current publications in other languages.

I also supply books in case guests are in need of a bit of reading material. No one really seems to use them, but they're there if people want to check them out. Most of my guests are short stays, so it doesn't seem to come up much.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316

I think you are right that the guests don't really have time to read the books, but I had them anyway, and some guests just like that they are there. I guess they appreciate the thought behind it.

I would definitely recommend investing in the chalk boards. I don't know why my guets love them so much, but they really do! It's gotten to the point where, if a guest doesn't mention the chalk board, it sets off alarm bells in my head, i.e. this is the kind of guest who wants a hotel experience... I know that sound unfair, but it usually turns out to be true because in contrast, guests looking for the real Airbnb experience love these kinds of touches!

@Huma0 That's funny! Good to know: I will pick one up this weekend and start leaving notes.

David1826
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

What exactly is a chalk board?

@David1826 Hello, I have a door in my cottage to the AC/hot water heater and I bought small can of chalk board paint and painted it. I can write and wipe clean in a second. It is a great investment - cost about $12  at Lowe's - folks love seeing their name and a special note, esp. with birthdays anniversary or such. also, you can put wifi password, or anything you want. Highly recommend this  - it can be a wall/door whatever as long as the surface is flat! Best and Happy Hosting, Clara

CCCchalkboard.jpg

blackboard.jpg

I have a blackboard too, made from an old cupboard door. Mine doesn't welcome guests but tells them what is ready to eat in the garden. 

They love it, as it's such a novelty for city dwellers to eat straight from the garden. Nashis are ready at the moment!