Going above and beyond for guests

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Going above and beyond for guests

Airbnb keys.png

Good day everybody!

I've come a long way in my hosting journey since I officially started on September 1st. One thing that I've made a point of since I started is doing at least one nice "extra" thing for every guest who has stayed with us. It doesn't need to be anything big or cost any money, nescessarily, but I make sure I do something for everyone.

Some examples:

- Giving early check in or late check out at no cost when requested and if it's feasible;

- Leaving a card and small gift (usually chilled champagne) for guests celebrating an anniversary or recent wedding;

- Giving small gifts at Christmas (it was just chocolates or similar food treats);

- Cleaning off the guest's car when it snows during their stay;

- Letting a guest's dogs out so they could stay out later at a wedding;

- Putting a couple of cold beers in the fridge for guests who were getting in late.

Doing these kinds of things seems to have paid off for us: we've had excellent reviews so far and we got our Superhost in January.

What kinds of things have you done to go above and beyond for your guests, and do you feel it has paid off for you?

151 Replies 151

No offense, but to get your chalkboards their blackest, use some olive oil (or canola will do fine). Works well on other black surfaces as well (cast iron for example). Ever envy those restaurants with their perfect boards? Now you can have that without the smudging residue! Very nice idea about the garden, I'll be using it!  

Yes my blackboard was smudged... The pic was taken in a rush, I am sometimes so busy I just wipe off a finished crop with my dry hand. I worked in restaurants in my youth and we used COKE! When cleaning a blackboard properly, coke is such a winner as it eats up the chalk. I do it from time to time when I have more time, rinse with water to get the sugar off. Haven't tried olive oil, would that leave a greasy residue to pick up all dust?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great tip @Holly134, I have never thought about using olive oil. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I own a timeshare in Las  Vegas and when someone books with me at my home base I give them access to a four day three night vacation package

Wow! We need to book with you!! 

Thanks for the great tip Holley!

Love it! Have been wondering a good way to inspire my guests to use the herbs and veggies in my garden! I'll be using this!

I do that as well but with an old vintage suitcase I painted with chalkboard paint. 

I leave a chocolate and bottled water for each guest upon arrival. 

I accept pets and if the guests allows it,  I will look after their pet while they are gone. 

I have shared meals with guests and we even attended a basketball game with one. 

I completely understand the comment about southern hospitality but trying not to hover. I think you pick that up over time and each guest is different. 

@Tracy54 Love your vintage suitcase chalkboard idea: sounds cute. I still haven't found a chalkboard I'm happy with: gotta get on it!

You have a pic of chalkboard vintage case

That sounds so cool

Its a black board

We use Dry erase boards and in the family units I provide a clean one with colored markers to keep the little ones busy. Parents love them and so easy to update information for the units on local events going on during a guest stay. 

I supply short reading materials which the guests can pick up or leave.  Quality cartoon books, Archie cartoon books for the kids, several games which most guests actually do use.  Reader's Digest magazines which can be read short term.

We are out in the country so people do come to rest and recharge rather than for more urban entertainment.  Supplying firewood for the outdoor firepit is something we do and is appreciated.  Mystic fire is also popular - changes colours in the outdoor fire!  The star views are freely provided!  haha

Perhaps I am missing something, but what is the chalk board used for, besides the obvious messages? Could you elaborate on it a little more.?