Going above and beyond for guests

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Going above and beyond for guests

Airbnb keys.png

Good day everybody!

I've come a long way in my hosting journey since I officially started on September 1st. One thing that I've made a point of since I started is doing at least one nice "extra" thing for every guest who has stayed with us. It doesn't need to be anything big or cost any money, nescessarily, but I make sure I do something for everyone.

Some examples:

- Giving early check in or late check out at no cost when requested and if it's feasible;

- Leaving a card and small gift (usually chilled champagne) for guests celebrating an anniversary or recent wedding;

- Giving small gifts at Christmas (it was just chocolates or similar food treats);

- Cleaning off the guest's car when it snows during their stay;

- Letting a guest's dogs out so they could stay out later at a wedding;

- Putting a couple of cold beers in the fridge for guests who were getting in late.

Doing these kinds of things seems to have paid off for us: we've had excellent reviews so far and we got our Superhost in January.

What kinds of things have you done to go above and beyond for your guests, and do you feel it has paid off for you?

151 Replies 151
Hernan35
Level 3
Southampton, NY

Hi everyone,

this is my first time posting in this community and I’m excited to share my idea which is the following:

I do a lot of what all of you do but recently since my target is adults and couples, I get a delivery of the Wall Street journal everyday. They find it amazing. I got the idea one day while I was picking up coffee for breakfast one morning. It’s elegant, gives it a very nice elegant touch. I usually leave it sitting by the coffee machine. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It is lovely to see you first post here @Hernan35, I hope it will be the first of many 🙂

It is a nice idea and a leisurely way to start the day. Do you find most of your guests read it? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie wrote:

It is lovely to see you first post here @Hernan35, I hope it will be the first of many 🙂

It is a nice idea and a leisurely way to start the day. Do you find most of your guests read it? 

Hi @Lizzie thanks for your response. This community is very helpful and I will definitely contribute. In regards to the newspaper, I find that most people are always amazed at the fact we have a paper arrive to our house. I find that they will definitely pick it up... not sure if they read it. However; my last two guest made a comment positive comments about this. I recommend it. 

Btw, I see that people have different levels underneath their name. How does the level system work?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's fantastic @Hernan35. 🙂

In terms of the levels, these are based on your activity here in the Community Center (so the first time you arrive here you will be level 1). The more you contribute to our community here, (e.g through posting/receiving thumbs up etc.) the higher your level will go. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jessica286
Level 2
Houston, TX

I offer guests a variety of free amenities and extras such as free breakfast with gourmet coffee and tes, free full cable with smart TV in room, mini fridges in each room stocked with bottled water and snacks for .50 and i also offer fresh baked cookies or pastries.

@Jessica286Nice! My sister does the same thing with "honesty bar" type snacks (chips, chocolate, crackers, etc.). Do you find people put the money in for stuff they take? Does anyone complain about having to pay? I'm curious, because I've been thinking about offering food, but my price is fairly low and I don't know if I want an extra expense. 

Great point!

Wow, Jessica, thats going ALL OUT! I dont think the rooms in my 1924 house would fit mini fridges. How do you go about charging .50 for snacks? Are the baked cookies and pastries free?

Melanie206
Level 2
Celebration, FL

These are all great tips!  I like to keep my guest book up to date with local cafes, coffee shops, antique stores, breweries, etc...and I ask my guests if I can help them plan any events during their visit.  It doesn't cost anything and it is always appreciated.  

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi Alexandra,

Great post. And you had me until cleaning guests car from snow in winter. You must be a saint. If you make the pearly gates before me please please put in a good word.

I mean I would do it for the elderly. 

Amazing. God bless you,

Ephraim

Ma0
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

Where should I start??? 🙂

-I took guests on a day trips 1.5-2.5 hours away from where I live

- I shared food with guests at no cost to them. food deliverd and cookd food.

- I went late at night 11pm to buy medication for a guest

- I Drove guests around at no cost to them and to some I was a tour guid at no cost

- Took a guest to a jazz club and paid for guest entrance and drinks

- I allow few guests to cook in my kitchen even though my house rules says no cooking allow

- i bought extra fan for a guest

- I mad sure guest favorit fruits are alwasy available for him (for 2 month stay)

- Allow a guest to have his bycicle in the apartment

- I was practicle unpaid companion assistant and a driver to an elderly guest (driving, talking, advising,

helping her with her phone, placing an order for her from Amazone charging my credit card which she paid me latter, cooking for her indian food just because she said she love Indian food) she paid me back by giving me bad review and low rating.

- I washed guests laundry for free and I used my own detergent and coins to pay for it. not all guests were gratefull one guest gave me LOW rating 3 stars

- I agreed for early checkout and $740 return to a guest when 5 min later I relized she was a con artist, she lied manipulated me and took full advantage of my good nature. i got this money back from Airbnb about 6 month later.

- i offered guests free nights

- at my early hosting I did pickd up and droped off guests at the airport at no cost (few guests only)

-  I drove a guest and his wife to a popular inexpensive clothing store (my suggestion) and show them around (no review)

- few times I paid a guest $10 for bringing my groceries from my car to my home ( less then 2 min job)

- paid for guest groceiers (one time)

- paid $20 for guest fevorit italian wine

- I shared my homemade cookies with guests

- i gave gifts to some guests (the once i felt more connected to and i felt they will benefit from the gifts)

and the list goes on.

As said most guests are appreciative and few guests are not appreciative.

Don-and-Sandy0
Level 3
Pennsylvania, United States

I need to spend more time on this site - the  ideas are great!  If I am unable to have an earlier check-in because the cleaners are still there, I offer the guests to stop by the house and pick up the beach pass so they can spend the afternoon at the beach!

Alyssa99
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

We put out individual "hotel style" toiletries, leave a chocolate on the bed, and leave bottled water in the rooms.

I think guests like these little things and feel that the home has been especially prepaired for them. 

Below is a link to Amazon where we get our toiletries (highly reccomend):

https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A3AUQIOOBZTL8N&merchant=A3AUQIOOBZTL8N 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I noticed that this thread is still getting some activity, and I'm looking for some inspiration on new things to do as the busy summer season starts. 

A few things I'm doing: 

- Getting a bigger selection of free winery tasting passes from the local wineries; 

- Adding a guidebook specific to guests who visit with their dogs including dog friendly wineries, restaurants, some good walking routes, and local dog parks and adding new food and water bowls; 

- I have some return guests this summer, and I was planning on putting together some gift bags for them with wine and some local snacks. 

Any new ideas? I love this thread, and it's great to see that so many poeple are continuing to contribute. 

Steven614
Level 4
West Palm Beach, FL

It’s my third week but I try to be a good host and I want to see the best guests return, partly because they like my home and the experience I provide and partly because of the value AirBnB provides over a traditional hotel. So I try to offer some of the things a hotel offers. Single serve shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bar soap, hand lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste (I ask the guest to take what they need and leave behind the rest for the next guest, and multi day guests are left usually 2 days for 4 days stayand they can ask for more). I also have the guest bathroom stocked with large full

sized body wash shampoo soaps and things like that so the guest can leave behind the individual sized items and use the bigger stuff as they wish or take the smaller sized items if they want them.  

i leave the guests room a couple of waters and sometimes a snack and in the manual I advise the fruit and baked goods are available for the guest to help themselves to as well as canned drinks and juices in the fridge.