Going above and beyond for guests

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Going above and beyond for guests

Airbnb keys.png

Good day everybody!

I've come a long way in my hosting journey since I officially started on September 1st. One thing that I've made a point of since I started is doing at least one nice "extra" thing for every guest who has stayed with us. It doesn't need to be anything big or cost any money, nescessarily, but I make sure I do something for everyone.

Some examples:

- Giving early check in or late check out at no cost when requested and if it's feasible;

- Leaving a card and small gift (usually chilled champagne) for guests celebrating an anniversary or recent wedding;

- Giving small gifts at Christmas (it was just chocolates or similar food treats);

- Cleaning off the guest's car when it snows during their stay;

- Letting a guest's dogs out so they could stay out later at a wedding;

- Putting a couple of cold beers in the fridge for guests who were getting in late.

Doing these kinds of things seems to have paid off for us: we've had excellent reviews so far and we got our Superhost in January.

What kinds of things have you done to go above and beyond for your guests, and do you feel it has paid off for you?

151 Replies 151

Just a friendly touch and somewhere else to write the WiFi password. I don't have one but am off to Ikea this week. 

I love books but have hesitated to leave any for guests in case they think they're clutter or they don't like them. I do leave a couple of London guidebooks.

My co-host and I have only been at this for a few months, but Alexandra is right about just doing little "extras" for our guests. It has paid off with some positive reviews. All of our guests walk into our kitchen to a Welcome basket (it has "welcome" printed on it) of locally produced snacks. It is good PR for our local businesses and provides nourishment upon arrival (or late night when the munchies hit).

OTHER EXAMPLES

1. We have permitted early check-ins and late check-out when possible.
  2. I allow guests to park in my driveway instead of on the street when there is a snow emergency
  3. Provided prosecco, candy, balloons, a card, and other celebratory items for a couple who stayed with us during the Super Bowl AND their 20th wedding anniversary
  4. We have a no shoes policy, but provide free, new socks with padding (like in the hospitals) to wear around the apartment

We're hoping to achieve Superhost status in April. These efforts have paid off for us and hopefully guests will want to return or spread the word to friends and family.

I started an Airbnb two months ago.  I provide breakfast for my guest with oatmeal, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, croissants, bacon, and eggs.  The refrigerator is stock with water, juices,and sodas.  I also leave my guest a bottle of wine, hand written note and chocolates on the bed.

I always ask my guest if they have dietary needs, so I am not providing items that are not wanted by my guest.

I received excellent reviews from my guest for all the special touches.

Lyndsay3
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

May I ask how much you are charging each night for bed and light breakfast?

Such generosity may not be sensible when nightly charges for a double room for two people in my place is £42 (net £40.49 GBP).

check my reply to this topic page 10 i believe. i agree with you hosts should be more mindful.

I've been hosting for over 5 years, and I've found snacks, coffee (creamer, sugar, etc) are always a good thing.  I purchase multi-packs of Snyders pretzels, Belvita breakfast cookies, and usually some kind of baked chips or nutty granola bars.  I get them from Amazon, but some times our nearby grocery store has a better deal.  Be careful about being too much of a penny pincher though - this can backfire (it could reflect on your "value" rating).  I stick with anywhere between $.50 and $1.00 each and leave a couple per person who is staying.  We recently stayed with another Airbnb host and she left popcorn bags in the cupboard.  We stayed in one night as we'd had a busy day, and the popcorn went great with a movie we watched.  Much appreciated.  I guess a lot depends upon how much you make on your rental.  Our extras are a very small percentage of our profit on the place 🙂  I hope that helps!

Congratulations!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Borrowing from the above posts: Oftentimes it is the little unexpected things guests remember the most.

Totally agree with that, @Fred13. I offer free coffee and tea and leave everything needed to go with it (milk, cream, sugar, etc). It costs very little, but it's one of the most common things that people comment on.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Also, the thing that guests seem to like the most, which is so quick, easy and inexpensive to do, is to write them a personalised message on a chalk board in their room. I would say 99 percent of guests comment on this and seem to be really touched by the effort.

@Huma0 I've seen others doing that, and I think it's a nice idea. Maybe time to invest in a chalk board!

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

I’ve got a large chalkboard outside bolted to the wall for children to use. It’s was a piece of hardiplank with chalkboard paint. I’ll draw a smiley and write the kids names on it if I know them in advance. 

I also have a chalkboard created on the top front door of the fridge freezer in the kitchen. Masked the large rectangle off then painted, great way to say hi or leave a message!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As my place is a 20 minute walk from the bus stop, and a little confusing to find the first time, and most of my guests come by bus, I offer to pick them up at the bus stop, which for me is only a 7 minute drive. I also drive them back there with their luggage when they leave, if they haven't arranged for another ride. And for the younger ones who want to go party in town a few hours after they check in, I also offer to drive them back into town once they get settled in their room and wash up after arriving, just so they are familiar with how to get there.

Guests have use of the kitchen, and I don't provide food, but I'll tell them to go ahead and use my bottle of cooking oil and stuff like that, as it doesn't seem like they should have to go out and buy that for a week or 10 day stay. And I'll offer them coffee in the morning.

Also I always put a small bouquet of flowers from my garden in the room at check-in.

And although I don't offer use of my washing machine, if I'm doing a load, I'll always ask a guest who is here for more than a couple of days if they have anything they'd like to add to the wash.

What's kind of cool is that I have a small basket on the desk in the guest room that they can use for whatever- it seems like many of the guests have left some small thing in the basket- a pretty stone or shell, a little card, a heart shaped bead, etc. So I just leave that there for all to enjoy.

@Sarah977 Really love the fresh flowers. I have done that for a few guests too.

Really nice of you to offer rides.

I love guest traditions like your basket that evolve on their own. That's really nice.