Going to host new airbnb soon, thinking of creating "no couples filter"

Danel2
Level 2
Miami, FL

Going to host new airbnb soon, thinking of creating "no couples filter"

As said in the title I am thinking of creating a no couples filter. First let me describe a little bit about myself. I live in South Florida and I am a 34 year old male and have almost secured a mortgage loan for 3 bedroom near the beach in Broward.

You are probably wondering why I want a "no couples filter" then? I was recommended airbnb by a friend in New York who himself hosts an airbnb. He has very few negative reviews but claims the few he has gotten were from couples as his place is the same as mine will be he has 2 extra rooms and if 2 couples stay at the same time 4 people are in the place and if one couple is a little loud the other one will claim "this place was not set up the way it was claimed people partied all night and we could not sleep" so I thought ahead of time that I would like to only have single people come stay to keep a 2 guest minimum so everyone will get along.

Ive also heard the advice though that since I will be probably less then half a mile from the beach that I will be limiting a lot of options for people who want to come stay with their family for a beach vacation who will be..... *drum roll*..... Wait for it.... Mostly couples.

I did think about this and was like "very true that does remove the option for people who would like to enjoy such an amenity". I could possibly set the filter though to "no couples unless its a family in which case one room for a child and one room for the couple." Could I not?

I do not want to be descriminatory either. At first I thought this would be too descriminatory and would possibly violate a rule that hosts must host to whoever wants to stay until I read this post 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Can-i-request-ONLY-female-in-my-house/td-p/47062

Which discusses someone hosting an airbnb and only allowing female guests. After reading this post and seeing the community feel its pretty much ok I felt my discretion should not be nearly as strict and should be just fine. Plus there are tons of "couples retreats" listings out there so its not like I am seriously denying the airbnb community for all the couples that want a place to stay.

However, regardless of all of this I truly do not want to be a bad host so I thought it would only be fair to ask the airbnb community what they think of my airbnb choices.

Note to all before the discussion begins: I will not reply as I do not want to engage in a conversation regarding personality choices and clarifying who I am to further magnify my reasoning for making such choices. I meant this more for a chance for people to express their opinions regarding the topic in general and their experiences with filters. I will however read every single reply and take into consideration the discussion at heart.

If someone truly feels the need to find out more of my opinion please private message me and we can continue the discussion. Thank you for your advice ahead of time.

I plan to have one of the best listings available and am also considering my guests for their own benefit when creating a filter, for the future airbnb listing.

19 Replies 19
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Danel2   I have a private room/bath in my home and only host solo travelers. So you can certainly do that if you choose. But rather than say "no couples", say "solo travelers only" prominently in your listing description, and list each room as being for 1 guest only.

Of course this will cut down on your bookings somewhat, especially as you are a beach location, but every host has to do what works for them.

And I suggest you spend some time searching and reading threads on the hosting forum regarding reviews. There are various ways to educate guests as to how the ratings and reviews affect hosts, and you'll find some useful ideas.

Thanks

Yes, I like that verbage.....Solo Travelers!

Dave425
Level 2
Tampa, FL

I envision people ignoring "solo travelers only" and still coming with 2 people.  They may think it's a small room with a twin bed so you listed as solo travelers only but they may be thinking that they will snuggle up in a twin bed in order to save a buck.  I wouldnt recommend it.  I think it's also too limiting to bookings.  Better to get a handful of negative reviews because adjacent room was getting it in then to get no bookings at all.  Also, of people know they are booking a room.inna house and not the entire house than shame on them if they complain about noise from.strangers....rhey should be booking an entire place on their own.

@Dave425  I've been hosting for over 2 years and my listing heading includes "For Solo Travelers". I don't use Instant Book, I communicate with all guests before approving their booking request. As it's a room in my home, it's not like anyone can show up with more people, or try to sneak more in, unbeknowst to me.

I have never had anyone show up with more people. I've gotten a couple clueless Inquiries- "So, is it just for 1 person?" but never anyone trying to book for more than one, or showing up with an unexpected "surprise".

@Dave425

Same as @Sarah977 I've had the occasional clueless inquiries (My GF and I would like to stay at your home/I think your room is perfect for us (us = a young couple with 1 yr old baby)/I know you said you didn't allow a 2nd guest but can my mom stay with me in my room) but I always make it clear the room is for 1 guest only and I have a single bed. I live there too..... it's my home (also something I emphasize to guests). No one has ever showed up with more people or tried to sneak someone in.

Dave425
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Understood.  There is certainly a market for single person's.  Business travelers comes to mind.  But you could have more demand and charge more if you allowed couple's, no?

@Dave425 Yes, probably. But more demand and earning more money aren't my primary criteria in hosting. I like hosting single travelers for many reasons, and I'm more concerned with the quality of guests I get than the quantity.

I don't host business travers at all- quite the opposite- this is a touristy beach town where people come to get away from work. And there are plenty of solo travelers who come here on vacation.

Totally understand.  

@Danel2

I also host solo guests only in my single occupancy private room. Henry and I considered allowing up to 2 guests but decided against it because (1) what if they (friends/couples) fight (2) what if the person who did the booking is nice but the other +1 guest is absolutely horrid (3) potential for dirtier sheets is higher with a couple, as well as noise 🙂

One option you could consider is...... setting up both rooms as single rooms but in one of the rooms allow up to 2 guests and you could state in the listing description that you provide an airmattress for a 2nd guest (additional guest fee) - if the room has the space, of course. Henry and I though about this option for our room and decided it would make the room too cramped (we'd have to remove the desk in the room to make space for an extra foldout bed) This way, you might get 2 friends or siblings or a parent+child traveling together but probably not couples. Just a thought~

Niel3
Level 10
Llanberis, United Kingdom

I rent out 4 rooms here, 2 doubles a single and a twin. It's an oldish house with creaky floorboards and normal stud partition walls. I have had "romantic" couples (all 3 types), snorers, chatters but admittedly no arguers & not had a single complaint or even mention - other than the odd smirk when I ask if they had a good night's sleep in the morning.

Indeed the only time a guest has mentioned nightime noise is when my 2 cats decided to have a party and chase each other up and down the stairs one night (one has 3 legs so she's a bit stompy).

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Danel2

It is easy - if you want just solo travelers then put just one twin bed.

If you want 2 friends then put 2 twin beds preferably with wooden frames 🙂

If you want couples then put 1 king size bed

we have studio with 2 twin beds and consequently much more friends / colleagues then couples

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

I also have many problems with couples. I have actually post a message of help: "Couples: terrible guests? Awful experience".

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Danel2 

The best way to limit to single persons is to put in 1 person Max. 

Probably a good way to start.  Then, after you host awhile, you may discover that you truly can host 4 people at once in you house without issue.  I do. 

As you will be new to Airbnb, limit your maximum stay to 3-4 days tops.  This will help guarantee you success. 

Hopefully, you will discover that couples from Airbnb are a lot better than roommate couples from Craigslist. On airbnb, you can charge extra for couples.

Everyone who has ever searched for roommates on Craigslist knows the dissappointment of single people showing up, only to ask "Is it alright if my boyfriend moves in? (For free of course)"