Going to host new airbnb soon, thinking of creating "no couples filter"

Danel2
Level 2
Miami, FL

Going to host new airbnb soon, thinking of creating "no couples filter"

As said in the title I am thinking of creating a no couples filter. First let me describe a little bit about myself. I live in South Florida and I am a 34 year old male and have almost secured a mortgage loan for 3 bedroom near the beach in Broward.

You are probably wondering why I want a "no couples filter" then? I was recommended airbnb by a friend in New York who himself hosts an airbnb. He has very few negative reviews but claims the few he has gotten were from couples as his place is the same as mine will be he has 2 extra rooms and if 2 couples stay at the same time 4 people are in the place and if one couple is a little loud the other one will claim "this place was not set up the way it was claimed people partied all night and we could not sleep" so I thought ahead of time that I would like to only have single people come stay to keep a 2 guest minimum so everyone will get along.

Ive also heard the advice though that since I will be probably less then half a mile from the beach that I will be limiting a lot of options for people who want to come stay with their family for a beach vacation who will be..... *drum roll*..... Wait for it.... Mostly couples.

I did think about this and was like "very true that does remove the option for people who would like to enjoy such an amenity". I could possibly set the filter though to "no couples unless its a family in which case one room for a child and one room for the couple." Could I not?

I do not want to be descriminatory either. At first I thought this would be too descriminatory and would possibly violate a rule that hosts must host to whoever wants to stay until I read this post 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Can-i-request-ONLY-female-in-my-house/td-p/47062

Which discusses someone hosting an airbnb and only allowing female guests. After reading this post and seeing the community feel its pretty much ok I felt my discretion should not be nearly as strict and should be just fine. Plus there are tons of "couples retreats" listings out there so its not like I am seriously denying the airbnb community for all the couples that want a place to stay.

However, regardless of all of this I truly do not want to be a bad host so I thought it would only be fair to ask the airbnb community what they think of my airbnb choices.

Note to all before the discussion begins: I will not reply as I do not want to engage in a conversation regarding personality choices and clarifying who I am to further magnify my reasoning for making such choices. I meant this more for a chance for people to express their opinions regarding the topic in general and their experiences with filters. I will however read every single reply and take into consideration the discussion at heart.

If someone truly feels the need to find out more of my opinion please private message me and we can continue the discussion. Thank you for your advice ahead of time.

I plan to have one of the best listings available and am also considering my guests for their own benefit when creating a filter, for the future airbnb listing.

19 Replies 19
Moudi1
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

I would suggest for you to state solo travelers and make sure that you only accept one guest , reviews are tricky and I have the same problem with couples expectations! They rent my listing which is a private bedroom with share bathroom with me and they are expecting to get a honey moon suit ! But I can’t control the reviews unfortunately and people don’t realize that they get what they pay for ! 

Gail600
Level 2
Beachwood, NJ

I'm looking for input as to bed size.  We've been setting up one of our rooms with a pseudo-king bed (a pair of twin beds strapped together, gap well-filled, a 2-inch king mattress topper, reputedly sleep very comfortably).  My significant other thinks guests will prefer the beds separated instead.  What has your experience been?  Thanks!

Alex7939
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Like you I just bought a home with 3 bedrooms. I was going to only allow singles because I like having my space and more people can mean more drama, but I started allowing couples because the $$ is there. However, I only rent out ONE of my rooms. That way the place doesn't get too crowded, less noise concerns, and since my home has two bathrooms my stays get their own bathroom. The other room can be for you. It's your home! Make it an office or something 😁 Or take families too. 

@Alex7939  I think that's a good call. Just you and one set of guests is pretty simple. When hosts try to maximize income by renting out all available space, it changes it from a simple home share to a hostel-type situation. Then you get issues with too many people trying to use the kitchen, complaints that the other guests are leaving a mess in the bathroom, or even worse a guest claiming their phone or jewelry went missing from their room and accusing the other guests.

Plus it just has a different vibe. And could start to feel like it's not really your home, that you have no privacy unless you hole up in your bedroom. I just have one private room listing, and I only host solo guests, but that's because the room is really only big enough for a single bed without feeling cramped. But they do have their own bathroom and I can tell you that many of my guests have told me they really enjoy home-sharing, but not having a private bathroom is a deal breaker for them. Most people, unless they're pretty young, find it a bit off-putting to share a bathroom with strangers. So you've got the right idea there.

And if you have more than one set of guests sharing a bathroom, you have to be constantly making sure it's kept clean. When it's just one set of guests, if they are bathroom slobs, they can't blame the dirty bathroom on anyone but themselves and you don't have to clean it until they leave.

That 3rd bedroom you're not going to rent out can also be nice to have available if a friend or family member comes to visit. Home office/sewing or craft room/yoga space/spare bedroom.

According to me, the best line would be "Solo-Travellers". It will restrict the number of people and also will give you the liberty to host at least  2 solo travellers at a time. This is much better in each and every aspect.