Going to lose SuperHost status .... but that's ok

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Going to lose SuperHost status .... but that's ok

We're coming up 1 completed trip short this assessment period, all other requirements are at 100%, our review rate is 81%. I'm going to have to accept that as we now have a more or less seasonal rental, and we'll be going in & out of Superhost status on a regular basis ( assuming all other factors remain favourable - like, not getting a really unhappy guest!). We replaced our deck last fall and blocked 6 weeks off to allow for that and this year, we're not going to take bookings from October - May, just because of the hassle factor of having to get out regularly to clear all the snow. We get a heck of a lot of snow out there and it's a real slog! 

Guess it just seems a little unfair to knock out the hosts who are doing really well, but don't rent that often - but it is what it is. - Karen 

9 Replies 9
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Karen-and-Brian0, I hear ya!  I won't be renting January through March because a 1,200-foot driveway cutting through woods is a pain to clear and de-ice after our Nor'Easters come through wreaking havoc.

To shut down for two consecutive quarters is rough.  Consider being available the first two weeks of October and the last two weeks of March.  You'll at least get some traffic those quarters.

Hi @Wendy-and-Frank0 Exactly! I'd consider October but think I'll be burned out from a full slate of rentals from May to Sept end. We'll see. March is major snow time still here - it's Canada, we have 10 months of winter & 2 months of tough sledding. 😄

Jayesh0
Level 10
Urangan, Australia

@Karen-and-Brian0

Just looked at your listing to see if there was a photo of the driveway.  Wow, even the name would want me to spend a Christmas there!  You have so many gorgeous photos with the snow.  Additionally, there is such a great pool of potential guests so close by in Calgary for a family get together.  It's a shame you could not do some winter hosting.  

I don't know your area that well but did spend a couple of years between Jasper and Banff so I know what the snow is like.  My uncle in Lac Des Arc used to get out a piece of heavy machinery and clear some of the roads for the community there.  

Is there anyone in your area who is a permanent resident that has equipment to clear their own driveway?  Would they do this for a fee at least during the Christmas holiday period when you could command a higher rate?  If you put a 7 night minimum you could time it not to infringe on your neighbours Christmas plans too much.  

Something to consider if there are any events on in the area or through the peak holiday dates, Lisa

Hi @Jayesh0 Aww thanks for your kind words Lisa. Great suggestions - yes, we could hire snow clearing without too much trouble, but then I still have to get out there to clean before and after guests, on icy roads, in snowstorms etc. We did winter hosting this past winter - you're right, lots of people from Calgary wanting to have a family get-together &/or do some skiing -  and I ran into bad weather on days I had to be out there doing the prep. more often than not. I spent 30 years as a Public Health Nurse driving in rural areas in all kinds of weather & am just not wanting to do it anymore. 🙂  I could hire out the cleaning, but don't want to go that route - I know what's there & would know right away if something was missing, and can't expect anyone else to do that. We'd rather use the place for our own family ski week-ends - and if there's a blizzard, it's no big deal to reschedule for the next week-end. Can't do that with guests. 

I'm ok about the Superhost thing - we'll probably get it back next year, then lose it again, then maybe get it back etc.

Nancy346
Level 2
Selinsgrove, PA

I have read the comments and replies regarding the Superhost status and it does seem somewhat unfair to some of us who are in rural areas or not specifically "destinations" to lose that status.  We are in an area (Central Pennyslvania) that during winter months there is not much activity to attract guests. We are however close to 2 universities and have had our fair share of families visiting. Otherwise we have the guests traveling North and South. This is the first "off season" for us and I remain optimistic.  If anyone has any suggestion on attracting guests during this season I am "all ears". I have adjusted our nightly rate and feel that we offer excellent accomadations. but don't want to give it away either

Nancy

I 'lost' it did not even notice during the summer, my busiest period ever, so not something to worry about.

It was a system glitch so when I noticed I had a word and got it back.

But sort of showed to me what I suspected, pretty meaningless for driving business.

David

@David126, I agree that Superhost is nice, but the listing is what gets you bookings, not the badge.

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

@Karen-and-Brian0 I completely agree with @Jayesh0 find someone to plow for you and you'll definitely rent for a winter trip. We have a home in the mountains of Colorado and our long private driveway can be a hassle but we just notify people to arrive with 4 wheel drive. Additionally, I'm not convinced superhost status helps. I have only gotten one booking since making superhost in October. 

@Karen-and-Brian0

Totally agree~! I host mostly long-term (exchange students for an entire semester) so although I've been hosting since earlier this year I'm still on guest #4. At this rate, it'll take me another year and a half to host 10 guests~ LOL!!!! But not having Super Host hasn't seemed to affect me either way~ so I don't really mind. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any clear, significant benefit of being a super host.