Gold Coast council permits?

James507
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Gold Coast council permits?

Hi if I'm going to host a private room and live in the residence as well do I still need to purchase that crazy $8000 permit from the council to avoid fines etc? I heard if you list it as a home based business you can avoid having to legally get one.

has anyone here got those permits or been fined for not having one?

36 Replies 36
Wayne104
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

I have the same question's  as james can any one help me please ,  

Hi if I'm going to host a private room and live in the residence as well do I still need to purchase that crazy $8000 permit from the council to avoid fines etc? I heard if you list it as a home based business you can avoid having to legally get one.

has anyone here got those permits or been fined for not having one?

@Wayne104  I am a private town planner and each council area is different. From what you describe, you are running a bed and breakfast which is classified as a home business and is not short term accommodation. As long as you continue to live in the residence you shouldn't need council planning approval. But if you aren't living there when the visitors are it would be considered short term accommodation and planning approval would be needed.

Unfortunately that is simply not the case with Gold Coast City Council. I tried that angle whether lawyers help, $500.00 to apply as a home based business the council rejected that as well, said anything less than 3 months was considered a short term rental accommodation and would require town planning approval which could cost me up to $18,000 and a one-year wait with no guarantees that I get my money back, I am extremely disappointed as I live in my home on my own as a large Waterfront property with four bedrooms I was willing just to rent two rooms out but even that is not possible now if you got any further advised ID be happy to hear from you *personal details hidden* regards Wayne. 

Hi Wayne, so sorry for the late reply, I’m not getting notifications on comments and only found this as someone contacted me from looking at this site. 
if you do need any further assistance please send me a message through my website dciassociates.com.au Daniel 

Hi Wayne.  It would be great if i could connect with you.  I need the services of a town planner  on the  GC.  Justin, Let me know  ?

Hi @Justin1497, you can send me a message through my website dciassociates.com.au and I’d be happy to help answer some questions. Daniel 

Darren347
Level 2
Dunedin, New Zealand

what is the FB group ?