Gold Coast council permits?

James507
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Gold Coast council permits?

Hi if I'm going to host a private room and live in the residence as well do I still need to purchase that crazy $8000 permit from the council to avoid fines etc? I heard if you list it as a home based business you can avoid having to legally get one.

has anyone here got those permits or been fined for not having one?

36 Replies 36
Ziggy3
Level 2
Biggera Waters, Australia

Hi,

i recently started hosting here on the GC too Doug pretty much the same as you. Living in my home and renting out the spare room. When I read the GC council information on it, my understanding was that we don’t need the permit but I’d be interested to hear if you’ve uncovered anymore info on the issue?

Prue4
Level 2
Mermaid Beach, Australia

We now have a monthly meeting here on the Gold Coast where we meet in a local cafe . We discuss ideas , trouble shoot , just support each other ... so come along check out the Gold Coast face book page 

Teen-and-Andy0
Level 2
Burleigh Heads, Australia

Hi Prue, what is the facebook page please. I would love to join.

Hi Prue, What is the link to your facebook page please.

When is your next meeting?

Kond regards

Colin

Hi Prue where can I find your FB page please 😊

Susan1401
Level 2
Highland Park, Australia

Hi Prue, if possible, could we have your FB page, as we'd love to check it out 😊

Ela11253
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

hello there could it have the facebook link please ?

thanks 😊 

Hi Prue very interested in joining, what is your facebook page?

Cheers

Alysha5
Level 1
East Fremantle, Australia

Following this thread I'm wanting to got travelling for 5months and want to rent out my whole house but not if I have to pay a crazy permit fee like that.

Meagan17
Level 1
Burleigh Heads, Australia

I’ve just been through this myself council said if you are just renting a room in your house no you don’t have to pay the fee. If you are renting the whole place you can call them over the phone and do a simple search to assess if your place is able to do short term rentals. In our case they had to look deeper at a fee of $125 which then was inconclusive so we got a refund.

Peter1008
Level 2
Mermaid Waters, Australia

(To my understanding you are not allowed to rent out(short term) unless on directly on  Gold coast hwy  , the council won't allow you permit , if you get caught you will be issued a warning to shut down 

How unfair is this ! We should all stand together and fight this , we should march to city council and protest ... 

Im sorry Peter but i dont find this unfair at all!!!  I live on a culdersac which has been over run with illegal short term rentals..i have an Air B & B directly infront of me....1 Air B&B directly to the left of me and an illegal rental house at the end of the culdersac where they have rented out the whole house to 6 different people....now all of these houses do not provide off street parking for the huge amounts of vechiles that now line our once quiet culdersac...i get blocked in on a daily basis...we have people hooning up and down our culdersac...we have strangers coming and going all day an  night...i have people screaming next door at 6am in the pool because their 'on holiday' amd i camt let my kids out to play anymore because of all the strangers that are coming and going that cant be traced......these houses have not obtained any form of a license...they do not pay extra rates even though they are pocketing extra money from these people staying in their property....we didnt save up for years to buy a lovely home in a good area for it to be turned to **bleep** by people wanting to earn an easy extra buck...this impacts my family greatly...it for one has lowered the price of our home because the tone of the street has been lowered by these short term renters that dont give a flying *bleep** about the people who actually own their houses on the street.  So yes it is fair to have permits in place...why shouldn't people running Air B & B's have to pay them when its turning their neighbours lives to hell!!! 

Rebecca625
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

I’m interested in meeting up with some fellow Airbnb hosts here on the Gold Coast. I myself also live in my home n rent out a few rooms. However fir some reason I have been contacted by the council n now they want to enter my home fir what reason I have no idea.. I really feel my privacy has been invaded to say the least. I did ask what they wanted n what exactly they where looking fir n they threatened me with a warrant if some kind.. which I find even stranger on so many levels a warrant to enter my home when Norge illegal has happened n no legal matters if any dirt. That is a scary thing to think these people can enter your home n threaten you whenever they want 

any thoughts

Hi Rebecca, have you heard anything more from council on why they want to enter your home?? That's really scary! I have an apartment on the Esplande in Surfers Paradise that im BNB'ing and had no idea about these permits!?