Good Days with Good Guests

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Good Days with Good Guests

Good guests are out there. Yes, they exist! 🙂

For me, the hosting experience feels so smooth and easy when hosting good guests. Sometimes it is sad to see them leave because they have been a part of my house during their stay. When I started hosting in New York, I had a lot of international guests. I put up a world map in the living room and each guests can put a pin to mark where they are from. Sometimes I hang out with my guests in my free time, going out to see live music, or take them to play bowling together. I keep in touch with many of my good guests and send them the airbnb holiday card at the end of the year. Some of them left me a thank you notes and gifts which meant a lot to me. When I have good guests, I feel that I have a real purpose of being in the accommodation business. It is so much more than making extra $. I love to travel and been traveling independently since I was 16, it is a part of me. So, I enjoy meeting and hosting travelers from around the world when I do not have a chance to go. Yes, it seems like more and more people see/treat airbnb literally as an alternative to find a cheaper place to stay and that is disappointing. The bad days with bad guests are the one who make the good days feel good 🙂

So, to you all new hosts... yes, the horror stories are real, BUT there are good stories too! Sometimes it is a hit and miss, I think that is just what I need to deal with. If any of you know how to avoid the hit and miss, please let me know 😄 ha ha.

Cheers to hoping for more and more and more great guests!

4 Replies 4

@Farah1

So true!!!!!! I am enjoying hosting so much more than I thought I would thanks to my wonderful guests. I like to hang out with my guests, especially since they tend to be long-term, international guests 🙂 

I was thinking..... I should have a 5 yr plan (to budget and take time off work) for a month-long backpacking trip to visit cities/countries my guests come from!! TGIF~ 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Farah1 I love your idea about the map. I might have to steal that!

I didn't know about the Christmas card thing. Can you explain how it works?

Yes, what you say about guests is certainly true! I find that guests fall into three categories:

1. Can't wait for them to leave: they don't follow your house rules and range from highly irritating to the kind of disaster stories hosts so often post on these forums.

2. Can be mildly annoying, but are basically quite sweet, friendly people, or not particularly annoying but not friendly and are just looking for a cheap place to stay.

3. The wonderful, fun, friendly but respectful guests who teach you something about their world and take away some insight from yours. Open and adventurous people wanting to really experience another country's culture. Would love to visit them in their own countries.

My French Canadian guests who just left are an example of no.3 . They were absolutely wonderful and have set the bar high.

I am also sometimes given gifts by guests, but so far, only Asian guests (Korean, Taiwanese and Japanese) have given me presents. I think in Asia it is just considered normal etiquette to bring your guest a gift (fans, cake or other food stuffs). It certainly is in Pakistan, where I come from. However, a recent Korean guest gave me such a beautiful gift, I was a bit taken aback. It was a beautiful boxed set of gorgeous Korean tea cups and saucers - the kind of thing you only use for special occasions. I certainly don't expect this kind of gift from my guests, but it was very touching. He probably got annoyed in the end by how many times I thanked him!

@Huma0 in December, airbnb usually gives hosts the option to send an e-card/online holiday card. You can pick the design of the card based on what is available, custom the message (I believe), and choose to which guests and hosts you want to send it to.

When guests bring gifts or leave a thank you note, that makes me feel that this is a hosting experience and not only an accommodation business where I provide a room and they pay for it. It is more than that... they thank me for opening my house, welcoming and hosting them. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Farah1, somehow I missed that last December! Will keep an eye out for it this year.