Good PR at our expense

Kenneth-And-Lilia0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Good PR at our expense

So I was watching Fox News this evening and was about sick when I heard "AirBnB has launched their free homes project to help people displaced from the hurricane" and then the host saying, "It's great Private Industry is getting involved".  So let me get this straight, we open up OUR house at OUR expense to help people and AirBnB takes the credit?  Uh, no!  My thought, If ABB wants the PR, they should pay us fair market rates for our properties.  THEN, and ONLY THEN, can they say they are helping.  They aren't out one penny for this but expect us to supply a room, supplies, cleanings, laundry...and they are doing something?  BS!

31 Replies 31
Roger103
Level 2
McDonough, GA

I hear you on this, but where does one even go to find this free home project?    Is there really even such a thing or is this just a marketing ploy?

The lowest setting I see on homes is $10 a night on my own property.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Alec34
Level 2
Broughton-in-Furness, United Kingdom

Having had a look at the link, Im not entirely sure that Airbnb is at fault, the page clearly states that Hosts are opening up their homes for free, offers a link for Hosts to register their space for the emergency. So no Host is going to be out pocket if they dont want to help.

I havent gone past the home screen, but I would guess that Airbnb will not be charging booking fee.

The one at fault, for a slight indiscretion or misinterpretation, is the reporter for not expanding on how the scheme worked, but I guess, as it was regarding emergency help, maybe there was more important aspects to report on

Welcome to the age of recreational outrage.  It really doesn't matter what you do to move the needle, just know that if you do it - good, bad, well-intentioned, conservative, liberal, whatever - it will be seized upon as a source of offense.

Here we have a host getting all pissy - and it's not at all established that this host, the OP, is even providing housing to hurricane victims pro bono - that Airbnb gets some credit for the actions of its hosts.

1) Giving free rooms to people displaced by natural disasters is *supposed* to be an act of altrusim, not a way for you to "get credit".  **bleep**.

2) ANY positive advertising that Airbnb gets is good for EVERY host.  Increased profile means more visits means more bookings means more money.  So please, please, for the love of Darwin, *bleep*, OP.

Another myopic Millenial suffering from deep entitlementia.  Makes me want to gouge my own eyes out.

Thank you

Spot on, Steve!

Well, if you're referring to me as a entitled millenial, your are way off base.  52 years old and running a BUSINESS, not a charity.  My point was that its BS that ABB is taking credit for this when actually it is the hosts who should get the kudos because they are being altruistic, not ABB in the least!  I'll stick to my conservative values, after all, I DID build that. I sure don't see hotels giving free rooms out!  Read all the comments here, you are definitely the minority on this issue!   *bleep*.

Another reason why I don't care for reporters

The problem was FOX, not airbnb. You are watching an ENTERTAINMENT CHANNEL. Fox is not a real news channel so they get away with reporting fiction.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/04/01/fox-news-for-entertainment-purposes-only-disclaimer_n_15727...

Says the guy who referenced HuffPo.  That's funny!

Seriously dude, dial it back. If you don't want to help people with your business asset, that's fine.  But you sound like a chump coming on here complaining about something you saw on Fox News.

If you really understood business, you would realize that AirBnB is certainly spending money on this initiative.  But because you think they aren't out "on penny," you have no clue how businesses run.  Wanna try setting up a nationwide initiative like this without spending one penny?   

But again, if you don't want to be involved, then don't be involved. Keep your "conservative values" to yourself.

Oh, and by the way, I even partially agree with you.  I think Airbnb should reimburse for 25%-50% of our usual rate. But that's the extent of my sympathy for your screed. You could have approached this constructively with suggestions rather than an indignant rant.

How clever of AB marketing themselves on our expenses! ! When Harvey hit Houston back then, Airbnb announced the free home for evacuees, but on our expenses. I received tons of inquiries asking to stay for free, when I have no idea and no way to validate the claim...IF they want to do charity work, why don't they reimburse the hosts' rate, and we will happy to offer a discount for the cause!! But nah! just few words thrown into the media and we host got the annoying emails...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Not only good PR at the hosts' expense, but opportunistically riding on a huge natural disaster in which many are suffering.