Good-bye Airbnb

Alison0
Level 3
Honolulu, HI

Good-bye Airbnb

Well, it's been a great 7 years hosting a room then a whole house in Hawaii. No problems with our guests, they have been great - but 32 views in 1 month and absolutley no bookings over the last few weeks mean I have to go back to long-term rentals - at the usually high season of Nov/Dec.  Not sure why things are going the way they are and why other lisitings that do not offer the service that we have over thast 7 years are ahead of me in the search, but so be it!!

Much Aloha AIRBNB, it's been a great run, but I can't afford to have empty house and no views on my listing any more.

Xoxo

Alison

36 Replies 36

@Phanita0 - I have been a superhost without a break in the status since they re-started the superhost program a number of years ago - It has been a lot of work and stress, but ultimately worth it. I have been pleased with my guests and even airbnb host support. Not being high in the ever growing search ranking is killing me. My price point for my location and what I offer is just right (and I pay all my taxes unlike many others on the platform in Hawaii).

I feel your pain Phanita - I'm not sure why there is not more support for the people that do this well.

Best of luck to you!

Alison

@Phanita0, what they are doing is trying to get more guests to fill the spots. They do this through the marketing and also by (as hosts often experience) siding with guest at times of conflict. Because we all want the guests! Happy guests, more guests, paying guests. But maybe it is easier to get a host to sign up than it is to get a new guest?

Alison0
Level 3
Honolulu, HI

Just one more thought on all of this.

If AIRBNB required all Hawaii hosts to post their transient tax/GEtax license numbers, all of the people not paying their taxes would be removed from the platform. It would go a long way to placate all the locals saying that we are not paying taxes (which many peole are not) and remove all the bad players from the platform.

In the meantime, few views and no bookings for me.  

Oh, and someone with 3.5 stars ahead of me in the listings. Great. Thanks Airbnb for appreciating the superhosts.

I would do a search on website - atleast on west coast we are seeing that Airbnb is now searching on base price per night only not inc cleaning fee. If you have a high base price and low cleaning fee your listing will never be found over competition.

im astounded that Airbnb can randomly change the way price search works a tell no one, seems to have been like this for last week. Have been way down on bookings 😞

Mike59
Level 2
Bulimba, Australia

I think you should start a new listing, then link the listings so as not to double up. Air bnb doesn’t read this stuff and they are basically a big computer. Let the algorithm know your new it will love you again. 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I think the idea of requiring taxes being paid is excellent & would benefit the community & help winnow out the shady hosts. If only airbnb would listen to such a good suggestion!

I wasn't able to see you listing (loved the guidebook) but newer pictures couldn't hurt & the feed back from folks using airbnb professional photographers isn't great. When I had my kid the pro take pictures for me he suggested putting them in a file so I could periodically update (change up) my listing. Changing even a few pictures might refresh your  listing & bump it up a bit? It sounds from your reviews that your place is a gem in a fab location & you are experienced hosts who take great care of your guests- this is counter intuitive but raising your prices might be reassuring for guests who are afraid that it's too good to be true? The horror stories about fake listings can be off putting.

We are snoozed for the present & just got back from Oahu- a 30 year delayed honeymoon- we house sat for our neighbors' parents who live in Kailua. (they wanted to book with us last year but I told them they were our personal guests & then found out where they lived, yowza!)  The arboretums! The beaches! The farmers markets! The chickens! The rainbows! The shave ice! The wine tasting at foodland! Have you ever yearned to visit Berkeley or the bay area? We do have the coffee ( hint hint) Aloha, Sally