Good news about AirBnB hosts during Coronavirus!

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

Good news about AirBnB hosts during Coronavirus!

I look on Twitter and in the news, and all I see are terrible thoughts and stories about how greedy and selfish we all are -- and how we don't care about our communities. While of course there are some bad apples -- there always are -- this line of thinking, by and large, is BS. There are many of us opening our homes for free or at greatly reduced rates to healthcare/medical workers, essential workers, people stranded by the coronavirus, or those who need to self-isolate. Some of us are doing so at a risk to our own health.  Many of us are offering to help by offering free or low-cost transportation and grocery or meal deliveries.  Others are offering cleaning supplies to hospitals.

I got tired of only seeing us bashed in the media, and so, this week, I just started working for a group called Rent Responsibly -- whose mission, in part, is to celebrate and get out the word about the GOOD in our community.  We've never needed to do so more than we do right now.

Please share what you are doing to help during this time.  We will cheer it here -- and I hope to help the world celebrate the good stories of what we're doing in this time of crisis.  We usually don't "toot our horns" when we do good -- attention isn't why we do good things.  But the world needs good news right now, and it also needs to hear good things about us.

If you know of something another host is doing, please share that as well.  Of course, you can send me a private message but I'd like to see this board be at least one a bright spot for us all.  I will start by tagging the names of some members already doing good things.

12 Replies 12
David6733
Level 1
St. Louis, MO

We have a home that we can offer at a reduced rate for healthcare/medical workers, essential workers, people stranded by the coronavirus, or those who need to self-isolate. Is there somewhere that we need to post? We are in the Greensboro, NC area

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

Not at this point -- but I would change the title in your listing to reflect that. Maybe even call your local community relations person at your largest healthcare system/hospital to let them know?  Also look on Facebook and/or post there.  I found a group in the UK who is offering their homes to healthcare workers. Still looking for one here.

@David6733  You could also call your local hospitals , ambulance service, and nursing centers  to let them know that you have space available for any personnel they have or might need to bring on board who require housing.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What a great topic @Michelle1358. I think there is so much good happening around the world, even in this pretty dreadful time, that we need to celebrate that and bring it to the surface more. 

I'd love to hear more about what you are doing, it's sounds wonderful. Are you hosting a medical worker at the moment?

Here in the UK, I was reading today that they have asked for volunteers to help with the NHS, which could involve picking up medical supplies for people who are unable to and calling people who are alone. All amazing things and vital at the moment. They reached their target of volunteers in I think less than 24hrs, even before I'd read the article, so there was no hope for me to join! hehe - but it was just so nice to read. I know that there are amazing acts of kindness and community spirit happening all the time, but it's so nice that it's being shouted about. We all need it.

It would be great to share more stories here. Does anyone have any they would like to share?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ben538
Level 2
Athens, GA

France is doing it. I called my local hospital and they want to post listings to their internal website. I'm suggesting to rent at a deep discount to cover utilities and cleaning. The best way I can figure to get the word out to my local community is through NextDoor, as AirBnB was unhelpful about reaching local owners. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'd welcome any ideas that would help me quickly get this organized--- 

Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

Thank you for starting this positive topic @Michelle1358 , there are many folk that give selflessly in times of need, not for recognition but purely to help.

Something simple can also go along way. While we are in Lockdown , a phone call or text to reach out to say hi how are you? Is a caring gesture too.

We have been giving fresh fruit from our trees to our neighbours and young families prior to the declared lockdown .

I just read this post  @David6733 , (I wasn't sure how to post the link so I copied the whole thing😀)

How hosts can provide housing for COVID-19 responders
Airbnb
Administrator Airbnb
Administrator
47m ago
Many of you have expressed an interest in hosting healthcare professionals, relief workers, and first responders on the front lines. So we wanted to let you know about a new program we launched to help you do just that. We’re partnering with nonprofit organizations, businesses, and governments around the world—as well as hosts like you—to offer much-needed housing for more than 100,000 COVID-19 responders.

We know you might be wondering how the program works, whether or not your space is eligible, and how to apply. We’ve answered these questions and more at Airbnb.com/COVID. If you’re interested in applying for the program, you can do so using the online form at Airbnb.com/COVID19relief.

As always, we appreciate the resilience and generosity of hosts in the Airbnb community. We know this is a challenging time for so many of you, and your desire to help others is such an inspiration. Thank you again for all you do!

Stay well & safe everybody .☀️

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @David6733@Michelle1358@Laura2484@Sarah977@Ben538,

Just to add to what Laura has shared, you can find the post here, along with more links to find out more about it. 

I hope you find it helpful. : )

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Greedy and selfish??? It's the hotel industry that is leading all of this shaming.

Here in Los Angeles, where City Council opens a new hearing about banning Airbnb every 6 months or so, recently decided that maybe there should at least be a TEMPORARY BAN on Airbnb stays during this coronavirus outbreak. I guarantee you it's the hotel industry that pulled some strings with a city council leader to start this push.

Also here in Los Angeles, they put a moratorium on evictions! So squatters who have been taken to court, and would otherwise be evicted within 3 weeks, can now continue to squat, all at the expense of the landlord. So if anyone tries to shame an Airbnb host here in Los Angeles, they can take a long walk off a short pier.

Ben538
Level 2
Athens, GA

Ok, not only have I been trying to organize my local hosts and got my listing pulled, but AirBNB appears to be censoring my responses, as well—

@Ben538  Your listing is still visible.

Ben538
Level 2
Athens, GA

I was trying to connect hosts with the local hospital and was told there would be no fees and to try my community. There is non, so I tried reaching out to some hosts near the hospital, only to be pulled right when I was getting some positive responses. This was before AirBNB implemented the stay free program. I was hoping hosts could deeply discount to defray costs. I’m pretty disheartened-

Ben538
Level 2
Athens, GA

Yes, it appears to be visible thru my cohost. I have no way to access my listing or responses from the local hosts