Got a fine from the city because of guests behavior - Airbnb refuses to collect. Thoughts?

Ana-and-David0
Level 7
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Got a fine from the city because of guests behavior - Airbnb refuses to collect. Thoughts?

Not long ago I was fined by the city for unpermited gathering and exessive noise. It seems my guests had a party and neighbors called the cops and code enforcement. On top of it I was also fined by my HOA for exessive noise.

I submitted all of the paperwork (invoices, fees, hearing I have to attend in the city) and video recordings coroborating this event.

Unfortunately Airbnb refuses to collect these fees from either security deposit or host guarantee.

Does anyone have an idea how to fight this ridicilous situation. At this point I owe over $2000 in fees alone and everyone is playing dumb.

32 Replies 32

Imagine. Can select whichever policy one only needs. Cheap, but there for the occasional 'lunatic' guest. All this, 'reluctant to pay' hosts universally, is not working.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ana-and-David0  this is what I have been told by the city attorney when I have asked the same question – how can I prevent this? And they said that if this is my very first offense and I have cameras and I have neighbor support they would waive it.  In my case I had a crazy neighbor who just did not like the idea of Airbnb and called police prior to this the moment anyone checked in. The police his come to wake a family up in their pajamas because the neighbor called for disturbance at my property . Of course they apologized and left but I had a “record” after that. I have now installed party squasher and made peace with this neighbour  so hopefully this will not happen again. But yet to be seen.   I also live in Chicago, a city that would collect a fine for anything they can get their hands on. We have a “children at play” speed cameras in a  cemetery. In case one child zombie crosses the road to see a friend zombie, we must not be speeding over 20 miles an hour. 

I have sent Airbnb 5 different e-mails asking if their insurance would cover such fines because I often get noisy guests and my community has strict rules regarding noise. What is shocking to me is that they simply REFUSED to answer. If you don't cover this kind of thing, then just be upfront about it and say it! Why can't they be transparent about this?